Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I hope we get this kid if for no other reason than I will be able to yell SHAZAM!! and SHABOOM!! all the time without my wife looking at me like I have a third eye in my forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I hope not. Recruiting period was over yesterday. Both he and Wojo were in Vegas along with a slew of other coaches then.
    Great catch!! I was a bit off...

I've seen a few of the recruiting pieces about Shabazz and he does some like an elite talent. How would he be viewed as fitting into Duke's system, I assume that if River's is as one and done as he appears to be, that Shabazz is his immediate offensive replacement? If not, there will be an amazing amount of competition for Shabazz in Duke's wing positions.

Would really like him to come to Duke though, seems like a high volume scorer by all reports.

Still have to admit Tony Parker is the big fish at the minute from my perspective.

It sounds like UNC now thinks of SM as a "luxury recruit". Having 3 guys that will be at the three spot next year, that isn't hard to figure out. I guess this means they will not focus on him like they have in the past. Looks like they are going to offer Roscoe Allen, Shabazz's high school teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    It sounds like UNC now thinks of SM as a "luxury recruit". Having 3 guys that will be at the three spot next year, that isn't hard to figure out. I guess this means they will not focus on him like they have in the past. Looks like they are going to offer Roscoe Allen, Shabazz's high school teammate.
    Shabazz Muhammad is not a luxury recruit. For any school.

Shabazz Muhammad is not a luxury recruit. For any school.
    not my words, they are the words of his father. that is why I put quotes around the term.

not my words, they are the words of his father. that is why I put quotes around the term.
    Having 3 guys that will be at the three spot next year, that isn't hard to figure out.
    But, you believe it.

But, you believe it.
    i believe we have bigger needs in the 2012 class than a one and done wing. End of this year we could see all of our bigs either graduate or go to the NBA, so getting 2 or 3 bigs is a higher priority seeing as how we will have PJH, JPT, and RB at the 3.

No need to recruit over two guys that have been in the system for more than a year just to take advantage of a one and done that may not be as productive and as effective as the pair could be.

I am not slighting Shabazz, just being practical.

i believe we have bigger needs in the 2012 class than a one and done wing. End of this year we could see all of our bigs either graduate or go to the NBA, so getting 2 or 3 bigs is a higher priority seeing as how we will have PJH, JPT, and RB at the 3.
    2 or 3 bigs? I hope Hubert likes the warm California sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    2 or 3 bigs? I hope Hubert likes the warm California sun.
    wonder how Josh Hairston is feeling right now?

I think I like luxury recruits.

Wouldn't it be great to develop a pipeline of talented, college ready offense options coming to Duke. If so, Shabazz appears to fit the bill.

Though marginally naughty in its implication, and inspiration, this is a relevant issue, broadly defined. By this I mean that I can't be the only one sort of amazed at the number of good players on board for next season, and beyond. I doubt that Duke has very often had the full complement of 13 recruited scholarship players on the roster, and that seems a realistic possibility for 2011-'12 and beyond.

The good news is that this development has provided a rather upbeat tone re Duke in '11-'12 to many posts lately, especially considering the news concerning the return to UNC of their excellent threesome, not to mention the arrival of McAdoo and PJH, the former, at least, sure to be a valuable contributor - a "force," I'd predict - right away. Thus, although there's surely a consensus that UNC starts next season as ACC #1, and national #1-2, there may also be an emerging consensus that Duke will be more than fine for the foreseeable future. I had Duke as preseason national #7-8-ish - and I'd guess at least a few posters thought that foolishly optimistic - but the intriguing Murphy-Daniels scenarios, plus the news out of Texas, moves the Devils close to top 5. [UNC, UK, tOSU, yep; after that, well, UL, 'Cuse, Duke, 'Zona, Fla, UConn, Vandy - pick 'em, right?]

The less-certain news - "bad" as kong somewhat devilishly implies - is, "Wow, which of the guys we love loses PT?" Hence all the commentary re possible redshirts. As to Josh specifically, well, he appears to be #4 among the bigs; and by kong's jab at K - for that's what it is, a snippy suggestion re "recruiting over" - depending on unknowns re Murphy and DeAndre Daniels, Josh might [or not] fall a bit further. But, contrary to kong's implication, we think Josh is delighted to be at Duke, was promised neither a starting slot nor loads of PT, and is willing to compete. He's likely to play a lot more in his junior-senior seasons than next, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Though marginally naughty in its implication, and inspiration, this is a relevant issue, broadly defined. By this I mean that I can't be the only one sort of amazed at the number of good players on board for next season, and beyond. I doubt that Duke has very often had the full complement of 13 recruited scholarship players on the roster, and that seems a realistic possibility for 2011-'12 and beyond.

The less-certain news - "bad" as kong somewhat devilishly implies - is, "Wow, which of the guys we love loses PT?" Hence all the commentary re possible redshirts. As to Josh specifically, well, he appears to be #4 among the bigs; and by kong's jab at K - for that's what it is, a snippy suggestion re "recruiting over" - depending on unknowns re Murphy and DeAndre Daniels, Josh might [or not] fall a bit further. But, contrary to kong's implication, we think Josh is delighted to be at Duke, was promised neither a starting slot nor loads of PT, and is willing to compete. He's likely to play a lot more in his junior-senior seasons than next, but who knows.
    It is amazing that a player such as Quinn Cook turned down a probable starting position at UCLA in order to come to Duke; at the time unsure of Kyrie's draft status and no guarantee of a starting position even if Kyrie left. The reality of being a recruit committing to a program that is having a purple patch in recruiting means PT is earned, not a given.

Much in the same way that the player titling this thread would be welcomed with open arms at Duke despite already having obvious depth at his position for the foreseeable future. If you are fortunate enough to have quality depth in your college basketball team enjoy it, change your style of play to suit your new strength, because it will not last forever. It did not seem long ago that I was reading DBR and many people were lamenting B.Wright, P.Patterson, G.Monroe, K.Boyton etc. Enjoy the success and hope like crazy that it all ends in number 5 for Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

The good news is that this development has provided a rather upbeat tone re Duke in '11-'12 to many posts lately, especially considering the news concerning the return to UNC of their excellent threesome, not to mention the arrival of McAdoo and PJH, the former, at least, sure to be a valuable contributor - a "force," I'd predict - right away. Thus, although there's surely a consensus that UNC starts next season as ACC #1, and national #1-2, there may also be an emerging consensus that Duke will be more than fine for the foreseeable future. I had Duke as preseason national #7-8-ish - and I'd guess at least a few posters thought that foolishly optimistic - but the intriguing Murphy-Daniels scenarios, plus the news out of Texas, moves the Devils close to top 5. [UNC, UK, tOSU, yep; after that, well, UL, 'Cuse, Duke, 'Zona, Fla, UConn, Vandy - pick 'em, right?]

well, of course, my jab was an oh so polite response to Duval innocent little jab about recruiting 2 to 3 big's and how that "over-recruits" Hubert. I also doubt that Hubert was promised PT or even a starting spot, so... we are on par there.

The difference is, Roy consistently plays 10 guys in his rotation while K usually plays only 7 or 8. I understand that K is capable of great change and will adapt his strategy to the assets he has available to him; however, if he has a limited rotation- there is the possibility of players being unhappy. I also understand that K is the captain of the ship and that he can and will handle all personalities involved and ultimately, the players will do what is best for the team. A UNC fan will say the same for Roy and his player, while the rival fan will disagree. The facts are, UNC and Duke will be loaded at the 3 spot over the next couple of years and unfortunately there will be a few young men that will not be able to get as much PT as they feel like they deserve.

While red shirting maybe an option, players at this level may opt to transfer. Not saying that is only the case for Duke, but also UNC.

well, of course, my jab was an oh so polite response to Duval innocent little jab about recruiting 2 to 3 big's and how that "over-recruits" Hubert.
    I believe Duvall was commenting on the fact that you completely left Hubert out of any future roster projecting.

I believe Duvall was commenting on the fact that you completely left Hubert out of any future roster projecting.
    No, Hubert isn't a 3, he is a 4. So, I didn't leave him off of any projection. Now, if Henson, Zeller, and McAdoo leave after a big season, then recruiting 2 or 3 big guys is in order, wouldn't you agree?

It seems that a lot of people are making poor assumptions when reading my posts.

The difference is, Roy consistently plays 10 guys in his rotation while K usually plays only 7 or 8.
    I'm sure this issue will be revisited frequently over the next 11 months, but it's worth some preliminary thoughts now.

It might be argued that K and Roy have opposite problems with their respective deep rosters.

Roy - Yes, he has consistently played 10, but his '10-'11 team came alive only when circumstances [beyond his control, I guess, not sure] forced him to cut back to 8 at most, and really 7. Presumably he'll revert in '11-'12 to his preference, but it's not a certainty that the Heels will be better playing 10 [or more] than they'd be playing their most consistent 8.

K - Yes, he does seem to prefer to play 8, but for the upcoming season, the top 8 [or even 9-10] don't seem obvious. So it's reasonable to assume - absent any redshirts - that we'll see some fascinating experimentation going on in the first 13-14 games [OOC]. Further, what happens if K himself concludes that he's got about 10 guys who can all contribute, but no absolute stars. What's he do?

In short, will Devils and Heels be at their best, respectively, in '11-'12 playing what the coaches, respectively and oppositely, have preferred historically?

I dunno. Wonder how McDonald, Bullock and Strickland are feeling...

Those three (they're good imo) obviously are not strong enough to hold down the heels push the ball at all costs offense so ol'roy needed to recruit over them.