Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast
    I think the happiest guy in the world right now has to be Mason. Without Shabazz (or Austin for that matter), he is now the team's #1 option on offense - not that he'll necessarily lead the team in scoring, but our first option has to be to try to get the ball into him. If there's a silver lining in not getting Bazz, it's that maybe we'll for real try to develop an inside game this year (and stick to it).

Communication?

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    UCLA was so bad last year that he sees it as a challenge.
    Maybe he sees communicating with his new coach as a challenge, after the SI article!

Seriously, best of luck to him, when he isn't playing Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I'm not saying it's going to turn out the same way, but I see a similarities in how things went down before the '09-10 championship season and this upcoming season.

1.) Seven losses on the season
    2.) Seeded #2 in NCAA tournament and suffered unfortunate defeat in NCAA tournament (to WV after narrowly defeating #15 Belmont, Lehigh this year)
    3.) Best player leaves early for the NBA (Gerald, Austin)
    4.) Top recruit at key position spurns Duke after long drawn out recruitment (Wall, Shabazz)
    5.) Only two proven guys on the perimeter in 2009 (Scheyer and Nolan), two proven frontcourt guys in 2012 (Kelly and Mason)
    6.) Question marks at PG (Scheyer converted, Thornton has limitations and Quinn is unproven)

Perhaps I'm grasping at straws as there are likely always similarities, but I'm staying optimistic. With Shabazz going elsewhere, we still have a lot of talent and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out! I really think Murphy can give us good minutes at the WF and everybody else just needs to step up. Mason can go in beast mode and I think Rasheed can really contribute as well. It certainly goes on and I'm sure Coach K is still confident in this group that they have the potential to be very good.
    you've got seasons mixed up. your #2 was our 2007-08 team. the 08-09 team lost to Villanova in the sweet 16, also a 2 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think the happiest guy in the world right now has to be Mason. Without Shabazz (or Austin for that matter), he is now the team's #1 option on offense - not that he'll necessarily lead the team in scoring, but our first option has to be to try to get the ball into him. If there's a silver lining in not getting Bazz, it's that maybe we'll for real try to develop an inside game this year (and stick to it).
    I don't agree with that. I would think that Mason wants to win a championship (in addition to developing his game) and having Shabazz on the team would have helped towards that goal. I have a hard time believing he feels otherwise.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I'm disappointed that we didn't get Bazz, but I will say this: he could have made a big spectacle of this announcement, and IMO, he didn't.
    I think he was very respectful and complimentary of all 3 schools. He actually seemed a bit nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    you've got seasons mixed up. your #2 was our 2007-08 team. the 08-09 team lost to Villanova in the sweet 16, also a 2 seed.
    Oops, my bad. The rest of the points appear to be accurate, though. Just got the NCAA tournaments mixed up. Still a #2 seed that got upset (although admittedly not as large of an upset, but got destroyed by 'Nova), 7 losses on the season, best player left after the season. Thanks for the correction!

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I really underestimating how good UCLA will be next year. I will be shocked if they aren't a top 5 team. Kyle Anderson is going to be dominant next year. He is a 6-8 point guard with amazing passing skills. You just don't see that at the college level very often and having a good point guard can single handedly change a program.

You add Bazz to the mix they become even more dangerous. Bazz has an NBA skill set and will be unstoppable as a scorer. IMO those two guys will be two of the best players in Amerca.

They also have some nice players in the front court that have underachieved but could really breakout next year. We all know that college freshman can win it all and it wouldn't surprise me if UCLA won it all next year especially considering the state of college basketball.
    Wow. Unstoppable? Best players in America? How much have you seen both play this year. Anderson is notoriously slow - which means he is likely not a great defender at his position. Also I am not sold on the outside shooting of either of these guys. UCLA will be better than last year- but much depends on how they play on defense. Also do not count out how Larry Drew II might negatively affect the chemistry on this supposed great team.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Did we win or lose that game against Lehigh? I can't remember anymore. Somebody remind me.

In all seriousness, it's kind of amazing that you can be presented with the sterling example of UCLA--an elite program who has actually been wandering in the wilderness the past few seasons--and still have so little perspective that you think Duke is in need of a "rebuild." We were a top 10 team all season who beat multiple #1 seeds as well as a #2. We did it with offense, despite your repeated and groundless complaints in this thread about a lack of scoring punch. The kenpom numbers back this up. Traditional stats back this up. The fact that we had 5-6 different players who could go for 20 on a night backs this up. The defense... was mediocre. It must improve next year, and I have confidence it will. We bring back a ton of talent. Everyone's maturation plus Sulaimon plus the two redshirts more than balances the loss of senior Miles and freshman Austin.

Muhammad would have made Duke better, no question. But to get all dour about a recruit absolutely no one beyond this board thought was coming to Durham is absurd.
    Yeah, we didn't have times where we just stopped scoring. We didn't look for an isolation play when we needed something done on offense. We won some quality games, but to claim that the end wasn't painful/painful to watch would be insane. You can call it baseless, but our scoring droughts were common during the last season to anyone who was watching. It would be blind to say that we had a potent offense. One of the most telling stats that shows that we either shot it on the perimeter or gave it to Austin in hopes of him doing it on his own is our 204th in assists last year.

Last six games, we were 3-3 and averaged 68 points a game. Early, we found ways to score, but towards the end, it dried up and we relied heavily on a player we don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    If Alex Murphy hadn't reclassified to 2011, he'd probably be a top 15 player in this class, and people wouldn't be talking about how we aren't getting elite wing players ... That said, it's starting to look like Duke and Coach K are no longer able to have the pick of the litter when it comes to recruits.
    The same can be said for every other elite program like UNC, Kansas and KY. At least Duke was in the running for Bazz; and still in the running for a player like Parker. These are two guys that rules UNC fairly early in the recruiting process. I'd rather Duke be in it till the end than not making an initial cut.

With all the positive things being said about Duke's chances with the elite players of the 2013 class, I think next year's results for Duke will be exponentially better. And btw, Duke still go an elite SG in Sheed.

I can't believe I just watched this stupidity. Shabazz seems like a really nice, down to earth kid. I would have loved to have him at Duke, but wish him the best of luck at UCLA.

Just got in from the golf course to see the decisions of these 2 recruits. Best of luck to the both of them. If UCLA was not an adidas sponsored team, I doubt Bazz goes there

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Maybe he sees communicating with his new coach as a challenge, after the SI article!

Seriously, best of luck to him, when he isn't playing Duke.
    Yeah, there's something that doesn't exactly fit.
    The SI article was pretty clear in it's portrayal of Howland as somewhat aloof and not communicating well with the recent group of players.
    Perhaps the article was wrong, but the results of the last couple years seem to be consistent with poor communication somewhere along the line.

I've been impressed with Shabazz as a serious, thoughtful young man; seems likely to me that he'll be a good teammate and leader (or is it presumptuous to have a freshman as a leader?)
    But do things all of a sudden fit together at UCLA and everybody pull together?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, there's something that doesn't exactly fit.
    The SI article was pretty clear in it's portrayal of Howland as somewhat aloof and not communicating well with the recent group of players.
    Perhaps the article was wrong, but the results of the last couple years seem to be consistent with poor communication somewhere along the line.

I've been impressed with Shabazz as a serious, thoughtful young man; seems likely to me that he'll be a good teammate and leader (or is it presumptuous to have a freshman as a leader?)
    But do things all of a sudden fit together at UCLA and everybody pull together?
    Yeah, it's hard to come up with a reason for Shabazz to go to UCLA that doesn't lead to a better reason to go to UNLV - same region vs. hometown, program on the rise vs. program scraping bottom, coaching staff he knows vs. coach that no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

I totally agree. And perhaps, with no "super star" we might get back to the "team-cohesive" concept that often seemed to be a missing ingredient this year. I think next year's team will be a close one and fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Wow. Unstoppable? Best players in America? How much have you seen both play this year. Anderson is notoriously slow - which means he is likely not a great defender at his position. Also I am not sold on the outside shooting of either of these guys. UCLA will be better than last year- but much depends on how they play on defense. Also do not count out how Larry Drew II might negatively affect the chemistry on this supposed great team.
    I don't think that saying that the top freshman will be among the best players in America is shocking. Kentucky just won the championship with 3 starting freshman two of which were easily some of the best players in the country.

As for Kyle Anderson, I've heard many say that he is much faster than he looks. My opinion is that being 6-8 he will be very difficult to stop in college.

Obviously having chemistry problems could hurt them and I'm not saying that UCLA will be a juggernaut but considering the state of college basketball I think its ridiculous to not put them in the Top 10, and I would put them in the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I can't believe I just watched this stupidity. Shabazz seems like a really nice, down to earth kid. I would have loved to have him at Duke, but wish him the best of luck at UCLA.
    Some of these recruiting specials just make you want to go wash your hands.
    This is the sport we're crazy about? ugh...

Yeah. Yikes.

At least Shabazz comes off as a good, relatively humble kid. He always seemed genuine in his respect and appreciation for our program, which is more than you can say for some kids. Nothing unexpected tonight, although I'm glad he didn't go to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I don't think that saying that the top freshman will be among the best players in America is shocking. Kentucky just won the championship with 3 starting freshman two of which were easily some of the best players in the country.
    UK had players like Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb and Darius Miller coming back. UCLA...doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    he could have made a big spectacle of this announcement, and IMO, he didn't. ... He actually seemed a bit nervous.

Not everyone can be as polished as ...

images.jpeg

pigeon fella.

btw, what happened to your avatar?

Amen Roy. I hope this isnt becoming the norm of kids waiting to decided on national TV. No one player is bigger than a team. I know the NBA is based on All Stars but this is college basketball. Espn or anybody else for that matter should stop with this "decision" crap.