Thread: Walk Off Sox

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Walk Off Sox

Wow! I was at the Red Sox - Orioles game yesterday. It was my second son's 10th birthday and I pulled every string I ever had to get field box seats for the whole clan. You can see us for a split second on SportsCenter this morning. Even though my 2-year old was about to lose it, I insisted that we stay until the end. I've seen walk offs before, including the Braves when I made the group with me stay (they were grateful), but never from 5 runs down.

It kept my streak alive. I get to one maybe two Sox games a year. I haven't seen them lose in person since 1989. In fact that 1989 games remains the only time I've seen the Sox lose in person and it wasn't that bad because we were treated to a classic pitching performance by Jim Abbott, a 3-hitter that caused the Fenway faithful to give him a standing ovation.

The Sox should sign me up for games they really need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Wow! I was at the Red Sox - Orioles game yesterday. It was my second son's 10th birthday and I pulled every string I ever had to get field box seats for the whole clan. You can see us for a split second on SportsCenter this morning. Even though my 2-year old was about to lose it, I insisted that we stay until the end. I've seen walk offs before, including the Braves when I made the group with me stay (they were grateful), but never from 5 runs down.

It kept my streak alive. I get to one maybe two Sox games a year. I haven't seen them lose in person since 1989. In fact that 1989 games remains the only time I've seen the Sox lose in person and it wasn't that bad because we were treated to a classic pitching performance by Jim Abbott, a 3-hitter that caused the Fenway faithful to give him a standing ovation.

The Sox should sign me up for games they really need.
    A great, great win, though hopefully Beckett won't be out too long (probably 1 start, possibly 2) with the avulsion.

After being in the wilderness camping for the weekend, I called a score hotline sunday evening to find out the Sox won 6-5, which made me happy. It wasn't until I saw the highlights on Sportscenter while stopped for dinner on the way home that I saw the unbelievable ending. Matsuzaka needs to keep it rolling tonight, and the bats need to get a jump earlier in the game, esp. with Detroit's bullpen going so hard last night.

8 games up!

Oh! The WOES of the O's!

Lifelong Oriole fan here. I turned off the radio in the ninth with the birds in command. I came into work this morning, e-mailed a fellow O's fan and basically said, "How bout dem O's!? Huge victory! Took the series!"

He was quick to e-mail me back with the sad, cruel reality. Baltimore really worked hard - HARD - to get that loss. It took a lot of effort to lose like that. Just like it took a lot of effort to start the season 0-22 in 1988. Accomplishments such as those don't come often.

Well done O's! Good job! Sons of britches.

-EarlJam

Earl(is that for Weaver?)Jam

Does it help at all that the Sox comeback made for probably the best birthday memory my son will ever have?

Of the many walk offs I've been lucky enough to see in my life, one was a 2 run homer by Fred Lynn with Cal Ripken on base in 1985. That was very exciting too. It was kind of a nothing game (1-0 Twins) with not much going on and when Cal Ripken, 0 for 3 so far in the game, came up in the 9th. I stood up and yelled "Ripken, I came to this game just to see you hit, don't leave me disappointed." I started a little cheer rally in the stands. Then he hit, then Freddie hit and everybody went home happy.

Trivia question on the Jumbotron yesterday, name the 6 Orioles who have their numbers retired. Hubby and I came up with 5. Guess who we didn't think of?

my guess

cal, eddie, frank+brooks robinson, boog, and palmer?

[QUOTE=Bostondevil;20648]I've seen walk offs before, including the Braves when I made the group with me stay (they were grateful), but never from 5 runs down.

/QUOTE]

Curiously, yesterday the A's also came from 5 runs down in the bottom of the 9th to beat Cleveland.

It's an oddity to be sure, but for it to happen twice in the same day, well...what are the odds?

(And because it was Mother's day, we gave up our tickets to that game for a family event, the sneak preview of 'Waitress.' Oh...the trades one makes for family. )

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    You got the same 5 right that I did. Boog, no. Try again.

Clue, they are all in the Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Yes, it DOES help that it made for a great birthday for you son. Seriously. He must have been so excited!

As for the other hall of famer...

1. Cal Ripken
    2. Eddie Murray
    3. Brooks Robinson
    4. Frank Robinson
    5. Jim Palmer

And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Earl of Baltimore's (Earl Weaver) number retired as well?

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Lifelong Oriole fan here. I turned off the radio in the ninth with the birds in command. I came into work this morning, e-mailed a fellow O's fan and basically said, "How bout dem O's!? Huge victory! Took the series!"

He was quick to e-mail me back with the sad, cruel reality. Baltimore really worked hard - HARD - to get that loss. It took a lot of effort to lose like that. Just like it took a lot of effort to start the season 0-22 in 1988. Accomplishments such as those don't come often.

Well done O's! Good job! Sons of britches.

-EarlJam
    The Orioles are a sad club right now. They have the resources/market to be successful, but Angelos is such a terrible owner -- micromanaging to the max -- that they can never get over the hump (or even really approach it). While its nice as a Red Sox fan to have another team in the division be suffering, it is sad to see the once-proud team suffer due to its ownership. I feel bad for O's fans.