Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    He has vertigo issues. I'm guessing that was it.
    The sudden rise in the ACC standings from 11th to 10th?

I thought that UNC actually looked fairly good today. I hope that Henson goes early in the draft -- he is going to be good. What is his wingspan again?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I thought that UNC actually looked fairly good today. I hope that Henson goes early in the draft -- he is going to be good. What is his wingspan again?
    Depends on the temperature.

On a cold court (like an indoor stadium in winter), he can barely reach sideline to sideline.

On a warm court, like Cameron (pre air conditioning on a warm day) he can easily reach baseline to baseline.

Does anyone know where he keeps Pokey on campus?

To me, it appeared that the guards were told to look for their outside shoot a bit more. They took many more quick shots from the perimeter than normal instead of passing it around the horn, trying to force it inside to a double teamed tall guy. Guess they figured that taking more outside shots would stretch the defense and allow for more space to rebound the ball. Seems a better strategy than trying to continually forcing it in the paint. Of course, who knows if that was the "new" game plan, but it was finally something new to watch. Had Drew made his free throws at the end of the game, the final margin of victory would have been much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Had Drew made his free throws at the end of the game, the final margin of victory would have been much higher.
    On the flip side, if Wake had hit *anything* for the first 18 minutes, the margin of victory would have been much lower.

Yeah vertigo, whatever! Daggumit they one to keep their NIT hopes alive.

I imagine Wake's poor shooting performance had nothing to do with UNC playing decent defense? Wake shot a higher percentage from 3 than UNC did and made 1 or 2 more as well.

On another note, had a chance to go to Kinston last night and watch Reggie Bullock play in the state playoff's. He only had 16 points, because he was double teamed each time down the court, but I was really pleased to see how well he shot the ball in warmups. I know that warming up is not the same as game time, but boy was he stroke smooth. He had unlimited range too. I went to school in Kinston back when Stackhouse was a junior. Bullock is a different type of player, more of an Ellington type. He is more athletic than Ellington is and will be a big help next year.
    Last edited by kong123; 02-27-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: errors

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Ish Smith is brutally bad. 21 shots? Yikes.

Boy, the Deacs REALLY are unintelligent.

Couldn't bear to watch the celebration.
    Wake seems to have assumed they could merely show up. Understandable, but very foolish, as Gaudio and his players are not DBR posters, who can afford to discount the Heels. The Heels' opponents the rest of the year should assume they'll face the team that showed up today, which, btw, was hardly brilliant, but clearly more organized and energetic than for a long while.

Wake, meanwhile... What can Gaudio's "game plan" [using the term loosely] possibly have been that would have led to Ish taking 21 shots to Aminu's 7? For that matter, LD Wms took 13. Some posters have suggested that Gaudio is in Hewitt's league.

Henson is coming along, presumably because Roy no longer thinks he's a 3. With some muscle over the summer, he'll make a major impact next year, unless the NBA "potential gods" snatch him up. Unlikely, I'd think, but who knows.

Temporarily

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The sudden rise in the ACC standings from 11th to 10th?
    Ol' Roy wasn't counting on State beating Miami, so now there's a three-way tie for last.

http://www.theacc.com/this-is/accstandings.html#mbb

That will make the Carolina-Miami game on Tuesday a real nail biter! They might even have fewer empty seats.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Ol' Roy wasn't counting on State beating Miami, so now there's a three-way tie for last.

That will make the Carolina-Miami game on Tuesday a real nail biter! They might even have fewer empty seats.
    They might even get some noise going!

I can hear the cheers now ...

"WE'RE NUMBER TEN! WE'RE NUMBER TEN!" (in the ACC)

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post

Miami's coaching may be worse than Gaudio and Hewitt... UNC-CH has a shot to get out of the last place tie, I would say.

I am seriously considering changing my screen name to "devil_____."

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I kept thinking this. It is actually a worst case senario for UNC. Henson is playing really well and looking like the stud people predicted he would be. Just in time for Carolina to not make the tournament. So he boosts his stock and Carolina still barely wins against a team that really played terribly.

UNC potential losses for next year:

LDII (doubt it though)
    Ed Davis (draft, much more likely)
    McDonald (whispers of transfer)
    Henson (draft, unclear at this point though)
    Deon Thompson (senior)
    Ginyard (senior)
    Graves (team rules violation - kidding)

That is 7 of their 11 players this year. Clearly, I think the LD II thing is kinda over dramatized. Graves isn't good. If Davis decides to go and Henson keeps playing well and goes, they are a team of freshmen and sophomores with LD II. That won't be good.
    Last edited by chrisheery; 02-27-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: miscounted, forgot the other Wear and Zeller

Gaudio?

Gaudio may not be long for Winston-Salem. I am not a fan. Why do so many ACC schools have such sub-par coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Gaudio may not be long for Winston-Salem. I am not a fan. Why do so many ACC schools have such sub-par coaches?
    Does that guy ever get in his players' faces and ream them out? He seems like he has no passion.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'm starting to think Huck must read the DBR boards. He's slowed it down and let them run some halfcourt sets. Hall of Fame coach, my butt...only took him 9/10 of the season to figure out something most of us had figured out by January.
    Didn't pay close enough attention to determine if this was a team effort (slowing it down) or just on the three occasions that Ginyard led the break... each time to my yelling at the screen to give the ball up... and each time him slowing things down considerably and <gasp> holding onto the ball. I seem to recall a story from '05 where Roy sat Jackie Manual down and told him not to shoot anymore. I think a similar conversation may have happened with Ginyard, re: running and dribbling at the same time.

On another note: A student behind the basket had a sign that read: Text Roy to 90999 for Carolina Relief... or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    I kept thinking this. It is actually a worst case senario for UNC. Henson is playing really well and looking like the stud people predicted he would be. Just in time for Carolina to not make the tournament. So he boosts his stock and Carolina still barely wins against a team that really played terribly.

UNC potential losses for next year:

LDII (doubt it though)
    Ed Davis (draft, much more likely)
    McDonald (whispers of transfer)
    Henson (draft, unclear at this point though)
    Deon Thompson (senior)
    Ginyard (senior)
    Graves (team rules violation - kidding)

That is 7 of their 11 players this year. Clearly, I think the LD II thing is kinda over dramatized. Graves isn't good. If Davis decides to go and Henson keeps playing well and goes, they are a team of freshmen and sophomores with LD II. That won't be good.
    Well, Graves isn't going anywhere. He'll be back. So he'll be the veteran "leadership." UNC could lose McDonald (though I don't know that the whispers go much beyond this board), and Drew seems to be saying he isn't leaving. I'd guess that it's as least as likely that Henson, McDonald, and Drew all stay as it is that two or more of those three leave.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I imagine Wake's poor shooting performance had nothing to do with UNC playing decent defense? Wake shot a higher percentage from 3 than UNC did and made 1 or 2 more as well.

On another note, had a chance to go to Kinston last night and watch Reggie Bullock play in the state playoff's. He only had 16 points, because he was double teamed each time down the court, but I was really pleased to see how well he shot the ball in warmups. I know that warming up is not the same as game time, but boy was he stroke smooth. He had unlimited range too. I went to school in Kinston back when Stackhouse was a junior. Bullock is a different type of player, more of an Ellington type. He is more athletic than Ellington is and will be a big help next year.
    Hey, Kong, I'm from Kinston too. Live in Wilmington now. Where did you go to highschool? I was in 8th grade Stackhouse's senior year, and my teammates and I would finish our jr. high game and then go to see Stackhouse play if they had a home game. Ah, the good ole days.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Hey, Kong, I'm from Kinston too. Live in Wilmington now. Where did you go to highschool? I was in 8th grade Stackhouse's senior year, and my teammates and I would finish our jr. high game and then go to see Stackhouse play if they had a home game. Ah, the good ole days.
    I don't think he'll be answering you anytime soon

On Bullock, I'm surprised he could only get off 16 points. I believe his team is now playing on the 2A Level.

Funny, but

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Henson is coming along, presumably because Roy no longer thinks he's a 3. With some muscle over the summer, he'll make a major impact next year, unless the NBA "potential gods" snatch him up. Unlikely, I'd think, but who knows.
    In some ways, the multiple injuries to UNC's bigs have at least a silver lining for them in that it forced Ol' Roy to move Henson to his natural position, rather than trying to pretend he's a college 3.