Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rankings for the week of March 1

I will post the AP and ESPN/USA Today when they come out later today.

Pomeroy #1
    http://kenpom.com/rate.php

RPI #2
    http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Sagarin #3
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0910.htm

Sorry but I can not resist:
    UNC: RPI 87
    Pomeroy 57
    Sagarin 61
    AP as we all know UNRANKED

I am expecting us to be 4th in the AP and USAToday polls. Kansas will likely only slip to #2 and I will not be shocked to see Kentucky stay ahead of us, though it may be close.

I would very much prefer to be #3 or even #2, as I think it enhances our cred for a #1 seed. I am confident we would get a #1 seed if the tourney were picked today but I would not mind a bit of wiggle room.

--Jason "worth noting, we may be #3 in Sagarin but we have a big lead in his predictor model" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I think:

1 - Cuse
    2 - UK
    3 - Kansas
    4 - Duke

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "worth noting, we may be #3 in Sagarin but we have a big lead in his predictor model" Evans
    The Sagarin predictor ALWAYS rates us high, always always always. It's been this way as long as he's been posting the breakdown. Needless to say, it doesn't seem to have any correlation to our NCAA tournament performance in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post
    I think:

1 - Cuse
    2 - UK
    3 - Kansas
    4 - Duke
    Agree with you with Kansas State #5.

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post
    Agree with you with Kansas State #5.
    While I hope to be #2 or #3, I won't be shocked if KSt has leaped us and we are #5. We are getting zero respect in the human polls.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Its on the court

If we beat Maryland and UNC-CH and then win the ACC Tournament we will be a number 1 seed almost for sure. We might get it with one loss depending on everyone else.

If we win the NCAA Tournament then we will be number 1 for sure.

SoCal

Am I the only person who still thinks Kansas is the best team in the country by a fairly wide margin? Syracuse is nice, deserving of the #2 spot (WAY ahead of the pathetic defensive squad Kentucky is) but to me the Jayhawks are just better than everyone else and IMO should have stayed at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    Am I the only person who still thinks Kansas is the best team in the country by a fairly wide margin? Syracuse is nice, deserving of the #2 spot (WAY ahead of the pathetic defensive squad Kentucky is) but to me the Jayhawks are just better than everyone else and IMO should have stayed at #1.
    I just don't think there are any great teams this year. There are several very good ones, but no great team. Kansas has not shown me any more than Syracuse or Kentucky and even Duke. All have their flaws. Go Duke!

Am I the only person who still thinks Kansas is the best team in the country by a fairly wide margin?
    No. I'd still rank Kansas first, the Cuse second, then Ky third and then us. The #1 ranking should go to the best team in the country regardless of who lost most recently. That's still Kansas.

It may be shocking to some but it would it would not be a terribly huge surprise if neither UK nor KU dropped at all, despite losing. The media has such a huge crush on them that the losses might be shrugged off. Maybe Syracuse goes to #1 and the 2 Ks with Us fall 1 slot behind. Duke ought to be #4 though. I don't think Duke has really shown that we're a #1,2 or 3 team right now. We're on an impressive win streak, but few of the teams we have beaten lately are superior teams. Although MD is showing some spunk lately. If/when we beat MD and UNC this coming week, we might have a better claim for a top 3 rank.

"If we win the NCAA Tournament then we will be number 1 for sure."

correct, and that will probably be the only way Duke gets ranked #1 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    No. I'd still rank Kansas first, the Cuse second, then Ky third and then us. The #1 ranking should go to the best team in the country regardless of who lost most recently. That's still Kansas.
    I agree and would have to think Kentucky shouldn't be far ahead of us, if at all, based on their inferior SOS.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I live very close to KU (25 miles) and I watch them a lot. Trust me, we match up very well against them. We play 10 games on a neutral floor and it could easily split 5 - 5 or 6-4 either way. To suggest that they are clearly superior simply isn't true.

My prediction for today's polls is 1) Syracuse 2) KU 3) Kentucky 4) Duke.

The least likely to make the final four is Kentucky because of their youth and inexperience in big time pressure games. It will do them in eventually.

Updated Lunardi Bracketology has us as #1 in the West, with Purdue as the #2, Pitt as the #3, BYU as the #4, and Butler as the #5. Oh, and Texas as the #8.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

It's final, Duke is #4.

Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings
    Last edited by cbnaylor; 03-01-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: source

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    It's final, Duke is #4.

Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings
    Wow, we got a #1 vote in the coaches' poll. Wonder who that was.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Could it be...no surely it couldn't be....Tommy Amaker, Harvard

Texas = scary

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Updated Lunardi Bracketology has us as #1 in the West, with Purdue as the #2, Pitt as the #3, BYU as the #4, and Butler as the #5. Oh, and Texas as the #8.
    Having to face Texas in the 2nd round would be brutal.

They've got a lot of talent and Pomeroy has then at #13.

I'd be fine with the rest of that bracket however.

As most of us would have guessed, MD is ranked.
    22/23 AP/Coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    With the exception of Texas as the 8, that scenario would be as perfect as we could hope for.