Thread: Doug Wojcik

Doug Wojcik

It was good to see Wojcik coaching last night. I had lost track of him. He reminds me of the “fire-in-the-belly” coaches that I played for 50+ years ago in high school. They said last night that he was an assistant at UNC and Michigan State before taking the job at Tulsa. I presume that he was an assistant under Doherty (those were interesting times).

I have several memories of Wojcik as a player at Navy. First, he played with the Admiral, David Robinson, and I saw them play in the only game I’ve ever seen at the Academy. Second, I was invited by a Navy Officer assigned to the Academy to watch the 1986, Elite Eight game against Duke. Little did I realize that all the others invited were Naval officers or Navy fans; however, I didn’t mind because they were playing against my all time favorite Duke team (Dawkins, Alarie, Amaker, Bilas, Henderson, Ferry). The Devils won by about 20 points but I refrained from celebrating. There was a funny moment during the pre-game. Dan Bonner was doing the color and while the opening line-ups were about to get set for the tip-off, he made the remark that it was probably the first time all year that he had done a game where all the starters on both teams could spell their majors. We all had a big laugh. In today’s world, Dan would probably be banished to Harrisonburg for the duration for that comment.

gw67

Seems like an impressive guy and a sharp coach.

Maybe he moves on to an even bigger job at some point? Wasn't Bill Self at Tulsa?

Isa Tulsa a Catholic school? He had both a Bishop and a Pope in his lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Maybe he moves on to an even bigger job at some point? Wasn't Bill Self at Tulsa?
    IIRC Tubby Smith was there when they first started getting good in the '80's.

Nolan Richardson also coached at Tulsa in the early 1980s. They definitely have an impressive list of ex-coaches (Tubby, Self, Nolan).

Maybe our friends down the road should hire him. I bet he gives a @#$% about Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Tulsa's been a breeding ground for coaches. Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, Buzz Peterson, and Bill Self. Self moved from Oral Roberts to Tulsa to Illiniois.