Honorable Mention:
    • D. Hudson - Virginia Tech
    • J. Allen - Virginia Tech
    • L. Milbourne - Maryland
    • M. Scott - Virginia
    • R. Jackson - Boston College
    • E. Davis - UNC
    • I. Shumpert - Georgia Tech

I realize my third team is all-bigs, but my understanding is it's the best 5 players, not by position. Anyone care to clarify?

I'd switch Singler and Booker.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'd switch Singler and Booker.
    I think Singler and Booker will fight it out for the last spot. IMO, Scheyer and Vazquez are locks. Aminu is averaging a double-double, and Delaney leads the conference in scoring. Singler plays for the better team, but Booker is a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I think Singler and Booker will fight it out for the last spot. IMO, Scheyer and Vazquez are locks. Aminu is averaging a double-double, and Delaney leads the conference in scoring. Singler plays for the better team, but Booker is a senior.
    Singler's also the better player, and is having the better season.

Singler's also the better player, and is having the better season.
    Booker: 15.3 PPG 8.2 RPG 2.3 APG 1.5 SPG 1.5 BPG 52% FG 62% FT
    Singler: 16.9 PPG 7.3 RPG 2.4 APG 1.2 SPG 0.9 BPG 41% FG 77% FT

Could make an argument for either. Still a lot of basketball left to be played.

Since you're basing the predictions on positions you should switch Gani Lawal out for Tracy Smith.

Lawal is averaging 13 poitns and 9 rebounds per game, while Smith is averaging 18 points and 8 rebounds a game. Lawal has also been outplayed by fellow freshman big man Derrick Favors this year.

Smith has given NC State their few wins this season, and in my mind has been much more effective than Lawal.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Booker: 15.3 PPG 8.2 RPG 2.3 APG 1.5 SPG 1.5 BPG 52% FG 62% FT
    Singler: 16.9 PPG 7.3 RPG 2.4 APG 1.2 SPG 0.9 BPG 41% FG 77% FT

Could make an argument for either. Still a lot of basketball left to be played.
    Those are season stats... do they use season stats to determine All-ACC or is it just conference stats? Because Kyle's numbers look better if you only include ACC games (he's gotten better as the season has gone on).

derrick favors? at least hm

Talking My Cyncical View of the All-ACC Vote

You have to remember that this is the same group that voted Joe Forte co-MVP with Shane Battier and that left JJ Redick off the all-Tournament team in 2003, even though he single-handedly brought Duke back from the abyss in the championship game against State.

My model for the typical voter is a UNC Journalism grad that is pretty much in the bottle or the weed or both.

First Team:
    • Tyler Hansbrough - UNC - (Did he graduate? Then his replacement, Deon Thormpson)
    • Derrick Favors - GT - (Was the #1 rated HS player in 2009. Has to be on the first team in 2010.)
    • Sylvan Landesburg - UVa - (He was rookie of the year last year. Besides, the WaPo guys want someone from Virginia on the team. It's tough enough to sell newspapers as it is.)
    • Kyle Singler - Duke - (He's been in the ACC at least 4-5 years and was the #5 rated HS senior. Must be pretty good.)
    • Al-Farouq Aminu - WF - (God, those Winston-Salem guys are demanding. Just because I can't wake up without at least three Winstons, I have to put some Deacon on the All-ACC team. Oh well! We can show our liberalism by putting a furriner on the team. What say? He's from Georgia? Doesn't matter -- he sounds foreign.)

Second Team
    • Greivis Chavez - UMd - (We know he is a close friend of Hugo Chavez; we just can't decide if that is good or bad.)
    • Malcolm Delaney - VT - (Sounds familiar. Do we really have to have another player not from NC?)
    • Tracy Smith - State - (I have no idea who this is, but the N&O guys are adamant that we have to put a State guy on the team, so they can push stories about Sidney not being able to win with good players. Gawd, is it hard to sell newspapers these days? They tried to get us to vote for Javi, but we are not totally without scruples [whatever they are].)
    • Trevor Booker - Clemson - (There seem to be several of these guys. Well, maybe one of them is good.)
    • Ed Davis - UNC - (You don't expect us to have an All-ACC team without two guys from UNC, do you?)

sagegrouse
    The third team is far too tedious to contemplate. Maybe some of the spillover from other voters can be stuffed in there.

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 02-23-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Thompson (mediocre ACC numbers) and Davis (hurt for too much of the ACC season) should probably not be on the list. And Shumpert really has no business being on the list (9.2 ppg for a scoring guard).

Singleton should be on the list somewhere. Favors should as well (certainly ahead of Shumpert).

1st Team:
    Scheyer (POY)
    Vasquez
    Aminu - he is the only guy in the league averaging a double-double
    Delaney - league's leading scorer, and his team is in the top three in the league, that gets him first team no doubt
    Singler - preseason player of the year, and he is definitely on the upswing right now and playing really well

2nd Team:
    Booker
    Lawal
    N.Smith
    I. Smith
    Landesburg

Scheyer (POY)
    Vasquez
    Aminu - he is the only guy in the league averaging a double-double
    Delaney - league's leading scorer, and his team is in the top three in the league, that gets him first team no doubt
    Singler - preseason player of the year, and he is definitely on the upswing right now and playing really well

2nd Team:
    Booker
    Lawal
    N.Smith
    I. Smith
    Landesburg
    Not bad. You might want to switch out I. Smith for T. Smith. And by T. Smith, I mean Tracy not Tanner.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-24-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added quote tags

Wouldn't be surprised to see Scheyer, singler and Smith make the first team along with Aminu and Vasquez. They are truly the best 5 players in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfsideron View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Scheyer, singler and Smith make the first team along with Aminu and Vasquez. They are truly the best 5 players in the conference.
    That's right, especially if Duke takes the season and tournament title. Not too far fetched, you know.

SO much depends on the ACC tourney. Still a lot of basketball to play folks.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    SO much depends on the ACC tourney. Still a lot of basketball to play folks.
    I'm about 99% positive that the all-ACC teams come out before the ACC tournament.

I'm about 99% positive that the all-ACC teams come out before the ACC tournament.
    wow, owned. my bad.

I believe that All ACC and POY are named the week preceeding the ACCT. I suspect that ballots are required to be submitted before the final weekend of ACC play so minds will be made up within the next week or so. The first four picks are easy, IMO. If Singler continues his strong late season run, he deserves a spot ahead of Booker and Landesburg, although voters occasionally reward the seniors.

J. Scheyer - Duke
    G. Vasquez - Maryland
    M. Delaney - Virginia Tech
    A. Aminu - Wake Forest
    Singler - Duke

The POY race comes down between Scheyer and Vasquez. Both have had outstanding senior seasons and each is deserving. IMO, Vasquez has outplayed Scheyer to date in ACC games but it is close and I suspect that many will vote for Scheyer because he plays for the top team. He would be the first member of the tribe to win the ACC POY since Art Heyman in 1963.

gw67

J. Scheyer - Duke
    G. Vasquez - Maryland
    M. Delaney - Virginia Tech
    A. Aminu - Wake Forest
    Singler - Duke

That would be my team.

"Wouldn't be surprised to see Scheyer, singler and Smith make the first team along with Aminu and Vasquez"

I would be astonished if this happpens. It has happened once-Williams, Boozer and Dunleavy in '02--but just that one time. Even the '99 team couldn't pull this off and they went 16-0.

IMO, Delaney is pretty close to a lock.

And the voting closes on the Sunday night at the end of regular season.