Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where are the floor slaps?

Floor slaps are the one piece missing from this being a championship squad. For motivational (and historical) significance, I say bring them back. Why isn't Wojo doing his job as coach?

hurley did it before wojo

i thought nolan was going to do it a couple of times....I agree....they need it back...

it is str8 up, in your face "BRING IT"...

Somehow I don't see it from the Swagga. This team is full of big rebounders, not scrappy tenacious perimeter defenders. I love the floor slap, but I say let this team be who they want to be without having to rely on traditions and reputations of the past.

Other rituals?

I also remember during the Hurley era when the bench would stand up until Duke scored their first basket... I thought it always showed a lot of solidarity...can they bring that back or is there a rule against this now from the officials?

I bet Kyrie Irving brings back the floor slaps. I defeinitely dont see Jon Scheyer doing it. Maybe Nolan.

i wanna see Zoubs do it...man, that would be awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by delfrio View Post
    Floor slaps are the one piece missing from this being a championship squad. For motivational (and historical) significance, I say bring them back. Why isn't Wojo doing his job as coach?
    Wojo's the big man's coach now...he can't be getting caught up in all that silly floor slapping the guards perpetrate!

Duke slaps backboards now, not floors.

Led by

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Duke slaps backboards now, not floors.
    Big Mason Plumlee.. I'm waiting for that next alley opp for a slam and slap. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Big Mason Plumlee.. I'm waiting for that next alley opp for a slam and slap. Go Duke!
    I'm not, I just about guarantee he gets T'd up on the next one he does if he does it again.

Yeah, the backboard slap needs to go away. It is unnecessary. The dunk itself is "show" enough. Especially the reverse!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i wanna see Zoubs do it...man, that would be awesome...
    Zoubs just stares at the floor until it slaps itself.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Zoubs just stares at the floor until it slaps itself.
    Now that is funny

I dont think its "lost" just taking a break..

This team doesn't extend perimeter pressure to the point of that being an intimidating gesture. I'd rather see that from a team that is capable of alot of steals...

However in playing to our strengths... there ought to be something we can do that says "We will wear your behinds out in rebounds"..

When the floor slapping started back in the Bubas days, it was about playing tough defense and crowd involvement. When Coach K began to use it, I interpreted it to mean much the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    When the floor slapping started back in the Bubas days, it was about playing tough defense and crowd involvement. When Coach K began to use it, I interpreted it to mean much the same thing...

That would be an excellent exercise for someone that has more energy and time than I.

When Duke slaps the floor; are they more likely to force a TO on Defense than when they dont slap the floor?.. If so, what kind of turnover is it? Shot clock violation, bad pass, Block, charge taken, or rebound collected.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    That would be an excellent exercise for someone that has more energy and time than I.

When Duke slaps the floor; are they more likely to force a TO on Defense than when they dont slap the floor?.. If so, what kind of turnover is it? Shot clock violation, bad pass, Block, charge taken, or rebound collected.
    Hadn't really thought about floor slapping in terms of particular results following the occurrence. Slapping the floor seems to have been done when the team needed to re-energize, particularly when the opponent was in a surge in the ebb and flow of a game.

Floor slapping is something of a statement not unlike the cheer Coach Cutlciffe brought to Duke: We are Duke!

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe it's up to Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by MHNOLADevil View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe it's up to Lance.
    Coach K has been known to start floor slapping up again. Maybe it will be reintroduced on March 6.