Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Can Duke Win The National Championship This Season?

Well we know its possible that Duke can win the National Championship if they win the games to do so.

But do you think Duke is good enough to go on a run and take down one of the teams projected to be in the Final Four? Do you think Duke can beat Kentucky or Kansas?

I've started to think that a success would be for us to reach the Sweet 16 with such youth and lack of depth in the backcourt.

Backcourt Young?

Lack of depth in the backcourt? I'm pretty sure that Jon is a senior and a NPOY candidate and Nolan is a junior that might be the second best guard in the ACC. I may have Duke colored glasses on by thinking we can contend but even if I weren't a Duke fan, I would respect our backcourt.

Yes. It will require 2 of our Big 3 having hot hands and some presence inside. We will make the Final 4 and Kentucky will not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    I've started to think that a success would be for us to reach the Sweet 16 with such youth and lack of depth in the backcourt.
    Beating two teams we are supposed to beat (a 15/16 seed and 7/8/9 seed) is hardly my definition of success. It wouldn't be a disastrous finish, but hardly a successful one. I think this team needs to get to the Elite 8, and I believe that they will. From that point on, things will get more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    Lack of depth in the backcourt? I'm pretty sure that Jon is a senior and a NPOY candidate and Nolan is a junior that might be the second best guard in the ACC. I may have Duke colored glasses on by thinking we can contend but even if I weren't a Duke fan, I would respect our backcourt.
    Im talking about the youth with freshmen like Kelly, Dawkins, and Plumlee getting crucial minutes off the bench.

I think you left your Duke colored glasses on, I dont know how Jon can be considered a NPOY candidate at this point in the season. The media has made it clear that John Wall is the best player in college basketball, and we all must believe it. What im saying is the media picks these award winners.

I dont think its a might, Smith is the 2nd best guard in the ACC behind only Delaney.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiznit View Post
    Yes. It will require 2 of our Big 3 having hot hands and some presence inside. We will make the Final 4 and Kentucky will not be there.
    I would not want to see a Duke-Kentucky matchup in the Tournament. I just cant see any team stopping that Kentucky train with Wall in charge, they're the worst matchup for Duke.

If Duke can get Purdue or Kansas then that is a very good chance for a win.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    Beating two teams we are supposed to beat (a 15/16 seed and 7/8/9 seed) is hardly my definition of success. It wouldn't be a disastrous finish, but hardly a successful one. I think this team needs to get to the Elite 8, and I believe that they will. From that point on, things will get more difficult.
    Getting to the Elite 8 would be a successful season IMO.

I would not want to see a Duke-Kentucky matchup in the Tournament. I just cant see any team stopping that Kentucky train with Wall in charge, they're the worst matchup for Duke.

If Duke can get Purdue or Kansas then that is a very good chance for a win.
    You apparently haven't seen UK play. They're on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell1977 View Post
    You apparently haven't seen UK play. They're on now.
    Is Kentucky mentally strong enough to make the Elite 8? That team seems awfully tightly wound.

Team chemistry is very good. The coach has been there. Jon, Kyle, Nolan and Lance will be there. If Zoubs continues his strong performance (and I believe he will), Mason plays with abandon, Miles, Dre and Ryan pitch in...this is a very good team, a potential Final Four team. My take, though, on post-season success is, "How hard will will play D?" When we REALLY get after it and turnovers/rushed offenses result, our offense seems much more fluid, confident and productive.

Play D to win it all, boys.

Im talking about the youth with freshmen like Kelly, Dawkins, and Plumlee getting crucial minutes off the bench.

I think you left your Duke colored glasses on, I dont know how Jon can be considered a NPOY candidate at this point in the season. The media has made it clear that John Wall is the best player in college basketball, and we all must believe it. What im saying is the media picks these award winners.

I dont think its a might, Smith is the 2nd best guard in the ACC behind only Delaney.
    Then we can put Keuucky in the same boat then as well. They have Wall, Bledsoe and Cousins who are all freshman who will be getting critical minutes in the tourney. Not that I am comparing these guys to that group, but I need to attack this statement about experience in the tourney. We have a starting lineup depending on the team that will feature this:

Singler: Senior
    Smith: Junior
    Singler: Junior
    Thomas: Senior
    Zoubek: Senior

Bench:

Miles: Sophmore
    Mason: Freshman
    Kelly: Freshman
    Dawkins: Freshman

Dawkins and Kelly have not gotten any critical minutes this season at all... In fact, walk on's at times have taken the minutes of Dawkins and Kelly at times. Barring injury, I find it's hard to believe that Coach K will change there minutes in the NCAA tourney.

I think this team has some of the pieces to make it to possibly a Elite 8 or if in the right brackett, a final four. We could possibly take a Ketucky, but I don't see us being able to handle a Kansas or Nova.

That's a pretty experienced group going into March Madness.

I think this team has two keys to making the final four.

1: Will we get offensive production inside? Our offensive efficiency this year is off the charts. To maintain this we NEED offensive production from someone other than the big 3. They can carry the load for stretches in a game, even the majority of the game. But if we start playing 3v5 on offense, eventually it comes to a grinding halt, and we just start jacking 3's.

To avoid this, Zoubs can continue his superb play and Lance can knock down those 16 footers and stop missing easy layups. Mason can provide some spark and dynamic play off the bench, and hopefully Miles can give some solid minutes, tip ins, and maybe a back to the basket game.

2: Will we have 'one of those nights' defensively? NCSU. 'Nuff said.

We beat UK 7 out of ten times.

We beat KU 4 out of ten times.

We beat Syracuse 3 out of ten times.

We beat Purdue 6 out of ten times.

We beat MSU 5 out of ten times.

We beat unc 11 out of ten times.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    We beat UK 7 out of ten times.

We beat KU 4 out of ten times.

We beat Syracuse 3 out of ten times.

We beat Purdue 6 out of ten times.

We beat MSU 5 out of ten times.

We beat unc 11 out of ten times.
    please...show your work...

It's simple.

We have the guards. We have Kyle Singler. Kelly and Dawkins are providing relief now.

Our defense can be very good.

Coach K can get us to the Final Four if Zoubs, Lance, and the Plumless produce. Can they force the other team to guard them? This gives Kyle the chance to shine. The better opponents can stop Kyle if our bigs don't demand attention.

At this time, at least, I think our chances are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    It's simple.

We have the guards. We have Kyle Singler. Kelly and Dawkins are providing relief now.

Our defense can be very good.

Coach K can get us to the Final Four if Zoubs, Lance, and the Plumless produce. Can they force the other team to guard them? This gives Kyle the chance to shine. The better opponents can stop Kyle if our bigs don't demand attention.

At this time, at least, I think our chances are pretty good.
    I totally agree with your analysis. I really don't think we can rely on guard play to get us to the final four. Of course, Jon Scheyer will need to be a leader (I personally think Nolan is not quite there yet). Kyle will be critical and the only way he can get it done is if Zoubs, Mace Plumlee, and dare I say Lance start becoming offensive threats.

Also, Kelly fascinates me. I hope he somehow can become a major contributor to a tournament run.

If...

1) Zoubek's performance over the last 3 games isn't a complete anomoly, and more or less continues...

2) None of the big 3 get hurt (at least not worse than they already are)...

3) The small incremental improvement demonstrated recently by Andre and Mason also continues...

Then... we're as good or better than anyone in the country except KU and UK. We could certainly beat either of them in a single game (see UNLV, 1991) but it would be a tough task to beat both. Kentucky is probably more likely to get bumped off before we run into them... have to hope they have a tough bracket (and that we're not in it!).

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    If...

1) Zoubek's performance over the last 3 games isn't a complete anomoly, and more or less continues...

2) None of the big 3 get hurt (at least not worse than they already are)...

3) The small incremental improvement demonstrated recently by Andre and Mason also continues...

Then... we're as good or better than anyone in the country....
    I agree with your analysis. We need to stay healthy and our young players need to continue to improve, but the real key is Zoubek playing solid.

As far as bracket match-ups go, I do not fear Kentucky, Purdue, or Michigan State. The teams I do not desire to match-up against are the Big East powers such as Syracuse, Villanova or Georgetown.
    Bob Green

It's a 6 game tournament. We all know the best team doesn't always win.
    So much depends on who gets upset early in the DUKE regional.
    So, yes, I think we have as good a chance this year as anyone. Win a couple of close games.. have a regional where maybe a higher seed gets upset, luck of the draw,, This team is GOOD,, and good enough to cut down the nets at the end.

GOOOOOOOOOOO DUKE

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy-own View Post
    Our offensive efficiency this year is off the charts. To maintain this we NEED offensive production from someone other than the big 3.
    I don't disagree that offensive balance is a good thing, and I am of course rooting that we can get some offensive production from our big men. But here's my question: if our offensive efficiency so far is "off the charts" then why do we need to do something different to maintain it?