Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PTI

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    OT, but did anybody see Shaun White playing air guitar for a few secs during the anthem?!

I hope he doesn't get fried by the press; I laughed a bit, since he seems like a pretty nice "kid," but you never know with the anthem. He sure seemed happy and proud.
    After his tearful reception last time around, I don't think anyone should be questioning his respect for the flag and country or his patriotism
    1200. DDMF.

Stop the music

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4life92 View Post
    Yes i could hear it aswell and it sounded alot like the horn at the scorers table and mike patrick even said that "horn type devices" were'nt allowed in the gym and was wondering how it even got by security on the kids way in.Really?like the miami security was going to care about that? It was amazingly loud under the free throw situation when i heard it.
    Imagine what would happen if someone decided to heave the conch shell onto the court.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The conch shell sounded like the horn the scorer sounds to signal substitution. It was similar to confiscating a whistle. They are devices which can disrupt games.
    That is what I thought - it sounded like the horn and should have been removed. I do hope the individual that brought it in got it back as he/she left.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    If it makes people feel better, when Coach K had his comment about the Nets job ("The guy's Russian, right? You think he's going to hire a Polish guy? Really? Really?), they loved it and were very supportive of Coach K not going to the Nets. They're not going to like everything Coach K does, but they're very supportive of him generally (especially being two DC guys) and are very warm with him when K's been on the show.
    And Coach K is usually on once or twice a year for the "5 good minutes" section, which is exactly what it sounds like: 5 minutes of Q&A with a featured guest. And Dr. Wine is absolutely right, they are always very warm and welcoming of K.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    That is what I thought - it sounded like the horn and should have been removed. I do hope the individual that brought it in got it back as he/she left.
    I am a decent lip reader and that is exactly what coach K said to the officials, and the repeated again to Frank Haith as he walked towards mid-court: "it sounds like the horn"

^Yeah, I'm very surprised more people aren't understanding that. When wathcing it, it was pretty obvious to me that was the reason Coach K pointed it out to the ref. Even the on-court mics picked up Coach K saying "it sounds like..." This is just another example of the 24 hour sports news cycle and these shows on ESPN needing something "controversial" to talk about to fill up a minute or two.

Kornheiser and Wilbon do a good job IMHO. I like Kornheiser a lot. He is funny to look at and funny to listen to. I don’t take his Duke digs very seriously, he cuts on everyone sooner or later, and that is his style. BTW, there are lots of worse shows on ESPN, most of which have already been named.
    I listened to him on the radio in the DC area when I was stationed up there back in 1996-1999. He would often have John Feinstein on the show and they had a very good rapport together. The show made the 1 hour (15 mile) afternoon commute from Bethesda to Gaithersburg tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Kornheiser and Wilbon do a good job IMHO. I like Kornheiser a lot. He is funny to look at and funny to listen to. I don’t take his Duke digs very seriously, he cuts on everyone sooner or later, and that is his style. BTW, there are lots of worse shows on ESPN, most of which have already been named.
    I listened to him on the radio in the DC area when I was stationed up there back in 1996-1999. He would often have John Feinstein on the show and they had a very good rapport together. The show made the 1 hour (15 mile) afternoon commute from Bethesda to Gaithersburg tolerable.
    Kornheiser was a great features writer and general interest columnist long before he became a sports guy. He has a number of his columns collected into books http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=kornheiser His columns that ran for awhile in the Washington Post about the illness and death of his father were incredibly poingnant, as was his book about he and his wife's struggles with infertility. Unlike Wilbon (who I do enjoy) he is far more than a one trick pony.

Smile Mr. Tony

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Kornheiser and Wilbon do a good job IMHO. I like Kornheiser a lot. He is funny to look at and funny to listen to.

TK's original radio show was laugh-out-loud funny, and he'd go off on all these tangents about his Woody-Allen like neuroses. (His fear of flying, however, was never a joke -- it led him to jump ship at Monday Night Football).

Then he got a radio show on ESPN, and it didn't work as well. The station managers were looking for him to have star athletes on the program, which he refused to do. "Mo-rons," he said. "All they can say is, 'I gotta step it up to the next level.' What the heck does that mean?" His guests were mostly journalists and media folk who were used to speaking on the radio and TV.

PTI was a revolutionary program, in that it zipped from topic to topic so fast that you needed the scroll bar on the side of the screen. I like it, but not everyone does. Probably a generational thing. Tony and Michael, however, do have access to some of the most knowledgeable people in sports, including Coach K.

Mr. Tony now has a program from 10-12AM on ESPN 980 in the Washington area. It is far better than the adjacent programs like Mike and Mike, but not as good as the original show. I think PTI is a a big workload, and he uses three other folks as foils and to help carry the show.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Kornheiser was a great features writer and general interest columnist long before he became a sports guy. He has a number of his columns collected into books http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=kornheiser His columns that ran for awhile in the Washington Post about the illness and death of his father were incredibly poingnant, as was his book about he and his wife's struggles with infertility. Unlike Wilbon (who I do enjoy) he is far more than a one trick pony.
    Tony started as a sportswriter in high school, both for the school newspaper and a county rag called The SouthShore Record. He then functioned as a sportswriter for LI's Newsday, then the NY Times, and then late in his newspaper life for what he now calls the Wall Street Post, where he also started his weekend Style columns collected in his books. Tony really knows sports, and often has understandings/perspectives that astound. Now the schtick often eclipses getting anywhere deep into the event he is discussing. However, in the course of his rants, you will hear a few words that nail it on the sweet spot; he just doesn't hang with it. Also, in case you haven't noticed, he has a photographic memory and understands and can use what he takes in. Scary smart dude.

Thumbs up Irony deja vu

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Tony started as a sportswriter in high school, both for the school newspaper and a county rag called The SouthShore Record. He then functioned as a sportswriter for LI's Newsday, then the NY Times, and then late in his newspaper life for what he now calls the Wall Street Post, where he also started his weekend Style columns collected in his books. Tony really knows sports, and often has understandings/perspectives that astound. Now the schtick often eclipses getting anywhere deep into the event he is discussing. However, in the course of his rants, you will hear a few words that nail it on the sweet spot; he just doesn't hang with it. Also, in case you haven't noticed, he has a photographic memory and understands and can use what he takes in. Scary smart dude.
    As a good deal of the disputation regarding eidetic memory comes from an overgenerous application of the term to many occurrences of outstanding memory skills, please provide a citation or link to your assertion that Tony has photographic memory.

Best regards to Duke fans
    Blueprofessor
    Last edited by -jk; 02-19-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Irrelevant material

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    As a good deal of the disputation regarding eidetic memory comes from an overgenerous application of the term to many occurrences of outstanding memory skills, please provide a citation or link to your assertion that Tony has photographic memory.

Blueprofessor
    I've known him since high school and reconnected after he moved to DC. We played golf together weekends for a year and a half twice a weekend, and used to e-mail frequently. Scared me with his recall of facts, information, words of songs, movies, books, etc. At some point one understands that there is something different going on with this person. Met only a few people like him in my life. I've lived with two such people, one all his life and the other who gave him life. I consider myself an expert.
    Last edited by greybeard; 02-19-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post

Blueprofessor
    It is the only thing about him that is photogenic ...

I really like Tony Kornheiser, and I fully believe that he has an outstanding memory. Mike Wilbon, on the other hand, is not at all on Tony's level. His comment about Coach K was thoughtless, and saying that they should hand out conchs at the game was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I really like Tony Kornheiser, and I fully believe that he has an outstanding memory. Mike Wilbon, on the other hand, is not at all on Tony's level. His comment about Coach K was thoughtless, and saying that they should hand out conchs at the game was stupid.
    Missed it.

Tony reads or hears it, he owns it. Extraordinary. Serves him tremendously in his professions, even as a yodeler.

Never met Wilbon. Think he writes wonderfully, and is tremendously quick and entertaining on PTI. Big time talent, who seems to bring out the best in people. Certainly the case with T. Everybidy screws the pooch sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    After his tearful reception last time around, I don't think anyone should be questioning his respect for the flag and country or his patriotism
    Nobody is questioning his patriotism. I like him and absolutely marvel at his abilities.
    Sheesh....

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You ain't from Florida, are you? If he had really asked for all the "Conchs" to be removed, they would have had to clear out the joint, except for the Miami students from NY and NJ, some Snowbirds, and a few Duke fans.

sagegrouse
    Back when I was living in Key West the only real Conchs were people who were born there. (In Key West.)

Smile The Conch Poncho Honcho

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    Back when I was living in Key West the only real Conchs were people who were born there. (In Key West.)
    Youa re absolutely correct. The term "Conch" is sorta like the term "Yankee." The further away you are, the more imprecise the use of the term.

sagegrouse

It was not weak. As BD80 stated, the conch was incredibly loud and resembled the same deep tone a scorer's table horn makes. Yes, when players are shooting free throws or even during mid-game, this kind of inadvertent sound could disrupt a contest.

Also as stated above, artificial noise such as "conches," whistles, air horns or thunder sticks are not allowed in college basketball arenas.

Coach K did nothing weak here. He was following protocol.

I wonder why the officials or for that matter, Coach Haith, didn't take care of this to begin with? Why did they allow it to go on until Coach K said something?

Bump.

Kornheiser suspended from PTI for 2 weeks for remarks made on his radio show regarding a female Sportscenter anchor's wardrobe. Anybody know what exactly was said?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4939740