Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PTI

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Bump.

Kornheiser suspended from PTI for 2 weeks for remarks made on his radio show regarding a female Sportscenter anchor's wardrobe. Anybody know what exactly was said?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4939740
    Hannah Storm in a horrifying, horrifying outfit today. She's got on red go-go boots and a catholic school plaid skirt … way too short for somebody in her 40s or maybe early 50s by now.” [She's 47.] “She's got on her typically very, very tight shirt. She looks like she has sausage casing wrapping around her upper body … I know she's very good, and I'm not supposed to be critical of ESPN people, so I won't … but Hannah Storm … come on now! Stop! What are you doing? … She's what I would call a Holden Caulfield fantasy at this point.
    Read more: http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/0...#ixzz0gUFEowjf

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/0...ed-kornheiser/

Weak suspension, that outfit IS ridiculous. Do they have wardrobe people at ESPN?

Maybe an apology to Storm was in order, but nothing more.

All I know is that Dan LeBatard (Kornheiser's replacement) is an insult to the human race. My ears bleed every time he opens his mouth, and his knowledge of sports is as shallow as his Miami tan.

He commented on Hannah Storm's tall red boots.

http://deadspin.com/tag/tonykornheisersuspension/

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    All I know is that Dan LeBatard (Kornheiser's replacement) is an insult to the human race. My ears bleed every time he opens his mouth, and his knowledge of sports is as shallow as his Miami tan.
    Agree. The discussion with Jay Bilas on Tyler Hansbrough and how his race was a factor in his draft stock was a classic. Jay absolutely hammered LeBatard! Anyone got the audio to that conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Weak suspension, that outfit IS ridiculous. Do they have wardrobe people at ESPN?

Maybe an apology to Storm was in order, but nothing more.
    He openly speculated on a woman's age, even going so far as to say she might be in her 50's. Dude would be lucky to get off with only a two week suspension. If Hannah was in the same room with him at the time, he might have been serving that suspension in the ICU.

In all seriousness, trying going on the record ridiculing one of your coworkers (who happens to be an on-the-air presenter), and see what your boss says.

Controversy

Wait, does ESPN not go out of its way to court controversy? Do they not have Outside the Lines wwhere Bob Ley ooooozes over this stuff? Espn is probably happy to be able to spend time promoting itself through an internal controversy.

wait....mister COMB-OVER himself said something about someone ELSE LOOKING "HORRIBLE" ??>?

PUHHHHHHLEEEEZE...

Beep: Mister Kettle, Mister Pot on line one for you...

ESPN pays Tony K to rip on people and situations. And now they're surprised? Even if their rule is "rip only on those outside the network" he's supposed to remember whose working for which ABC/Disney/ESPN network? Come on. And it WAS a ridiculous outfit.

BTW, Tony himself said that he's a fine one (wink) to be criticising looks - being bald, orange, and recently lost a tooth - an emailer on 980 said he's turning into a jack-o-lantern.

The only thing that I think they can get him for that isn't totally hypocritical is the Holden Caufield reference. And even then, hey, I see that outfit, I can see how it crossed his mind!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

BTW, Tony himself said that he's a fine one (wink) to be criticising looks - being bald, orange, and recently lost a tooth - an emailer on 980 said he's turning into a jack-o-lantern.
    Kind of sick-making to ponder it but how did he lose a tooth? Ugh.

broke a 20 year old crown. Common for the old, bald, orange set.

broke a 20 year old crown. Common for the old, bald, orange set.
    Glad I'm not orange or bald. Flossing counts!!!

I've got a horse in this race, but don't all the guys who work for ESPN wear business attire. Hannah was dressed like, well, I think that T said it gently. Why the double standard by ESPN? Guys running passing routes in ties, the next scene they have their jackets back on. Ridiculously tall red patent leather boots, a little girl's mini skirt in what appears a shoddy play on a classic parochial school look, come on, Hannah, what are we trying to say here? More importantly, what exactly is ESPN defending?

And where do they get off policing an air wave that does not belong to them? Whatever, T is handling it, and ESPN has the day time reporter it deserves.

I would love to see what would happen if one of the male talking heads showed up all South Beach on the set. It would never happen.

Hey, they got the gold, tell teams when to play and against whom, how people can dress and how they can't. Well, I ain't mad at that; just wish that someone other than my boy had the stones to tell Hannah that she really ain't representing the product. OR, MAYBE SHE IS. MAYBE WHAT SHE WAS PORTRAYING IS WHAT THEY THINK WE GUYS REALLY WANT TO SEE. If, so, maybe the suits were not upset with T for dissing Hannah. Maybe they took it personal and thought that he was telling THEM that that is not how all of us roll. It isn't, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I've got a horse in this race, but don't all the guys who work for ESPN wear business attire. Hannah was dressed like, well, I think that T said it gently. Why the double standard by ESPN? Guys running passing routes in ties, the next scene they have their jackets back on. Ridiculously tall red patent leather boots, a little girl's mini skirt in what appears a shoddy play on a classic parochial school look, come on, Hannah, what are we trying to say here? More importantly, what exactly is ESPN defending?

And where do they get off policing an air wave that does not belong to them? Whatever, T is handling it, and ESPN has the day time reporter it deserves.

I would love to see what would happen if one of the male talking heads showed up all South Beach on the set. It would never happen.

Hey, they got the gold, tell teams when to play and against whom, how people can dress and how they can't. Well, I ain't mad at that; just wish that someone other than my boy had the stones to tell Hannah that she really ain't representing the product. OR, MAYBE SHE IS. MAYBE WHAT SHE WAS PORTRAYING IS WHAT THEY THINK WE GUYS REALLY WANT TO SEE. If, so, maybe the suits were not upset with T for dissing Hannah. Maybe they took it personal and thought that he was telling THEM that that is not how all of us roll. It isn't, is it?
    I really enjoy Linda Cohn as a sportscaster, but within the last 6 months or so, she showed up back on air looking like a doll. Garish red lipstick, waaaay too much face makeup, a tight shirt, etc etc.

Given all the sexual harrassment problems ESPN has had, it makes me think its the business culture, and that the female sports anchors dress this way because they are expected to. I'll take a stylishly professional looking woman (note: NOT talking about Hillary Clinton style here) over dolled up anchors anyday.

I usually enjoy watching Kornheiser, but his remarks were way out of line and the suspension is 100% deserved. I'm rather shocked that anybody thinks differently to be frank. There's no need to politicize this incident when sexism wasn't even the issue. Tony broke the rules. ESPN did not suspend him because Hannah Storm's a woman, they suspended him for breaking the rules. He acknowledged it on the air. You're very obviously not supposed to say that kind of thing about co-workers, and bringing their age into it doesn't help. It's not like anybody would react with anything but laughter if he criticized Madonna for wearing the same outfit, so the gender-double-standard card falls flat here. What's the big deal anyway? Two weeks.

And so what if there is a gender double standard? The theory about business attire, sexism, etc. is not entirely incorrect but it's a pretty big oversimplification and in no way is it limited to ESPN. As part of our culture, women's fashion is less conservative and more individualistic than men's, even in business circles. Blame the media, etc., but at the end of the day women and men are both typically wearing what they want to. Men don't want to make a statement and have the image of the American masculine professional in mind. Women see other women in the media dressed more outlandishly, and they don't necessarily see the sexual aspects of it like men do- it's more of a form of self-expression, and they likely feel pressure from the members of their own sex to participate. So let's not make ESPN the bad guys (yeah, that's a phrase I never thought I'd say) for suspending the guy who made a really uncalled-for statement.

he's supposed to remember whose working for which ABC/Disney/ESPN network?
    yes.

I just wanted to say I'm not a huge fan of Wilbon making outrageously stupid remarks and they acting as if they're obvious truths.

Can't stand either of them. They should take Wilbon, Kornheiser, Paige, Bayless, and Smith off of ESPN and give them a show where they all hit each other with blunt objects.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    Women see other women in the media dressed more outlandishly, and they don't necessarily see the sexual aspects of it like men do.
    Of course they do.

so she says to the stylist "hey dress me in that outfit that no one will think i'm hot in "???