Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PTI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

PTI

Wilbon and Kornheiser ribbed Coach K on PTI today for the conch shell confiscation last night even though K's request was within the rules. No mention, however, of Ol' Roy and the Presbyterian fan. Oh well, I guess it's just another day in Bristol.

Yeah, I just saw that, too. The conch was really loud, I heard it over the speaker phone that was near the tv in our office, since I was stuck at home with a dead satellite. I asked if that was an air horn at the time. The idiot refs could have acted a bit more quickly, you can bet they would have inside Cameron.

Really though, watching PTI every day must be like serving a sentence. I catch it while traveling sometimes and it never fails to unimpress. I think their writers are all dopes. Willie and Tone-stupid are getting a little long in the tooth for the gig anyway.

Additionally

Wilbon seems to feel the need to pander to their perceived demographic by making the occasional misogynistic comment or letting us all know just how "manly" he is.

Yeah.. apparently it's a real shame.. and quite worthy of talk when an opposing coach expects fans to you know.. follow the rules.

That shell was loud on TV.. I can't imagine how loud it must have been at the actual game. I'm sure K worried the whole flight back to Durham about what Kornheiser would think.

The question was if it was fair or foul and they voiced their opinion on the topic. Tony was making a joke out of it and Mike thought it wasn't the right thing to do. I don't see the problem there. They made very valid points.

As I understood them, they believe and said that blowing the shell was not against the rules, and K's request should not have been honored. Does anyone here know for certain it it was against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Really though, watching PTI every day must be like serving a sentence.
    A sentence of awesomeness. I watch that show everyday when I get home. I tend to agree with Kornheiser most of the time and think Wilbon is a pretty average analyst, but I do enjoy the rapport between the two.

I guess what really draws me to it is the format -- they cover quite a few topics in a short span, have some fun with it, and spend decent amounts of time on the ~5 or so hottest topics of the day. Also, I'm on the west coast and they don't delay it (so its on at 2:30pm) so I'm always watching on DVR and can easily skip whichever segments I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Wilbon seems to feel the need to pander to their perceived demographic by making the occasional misogynistic comment or letting us all know just how "manly" he is.
    The other day Tony was talking about the athleticism of the male figure skaters. Wilbon went on and on about how he would never watch any man in any athletic event who wore sequins or feathers. The underlying tone was incredibly homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    The other day Tony was talking about the athleticism of the male figure skaters. Wilbon went on and on about how he would never watch any man in any athletic event who wore sequins or feathers. The underlying tone was incredibly homophobic.
    I wouldn't watch figure skating either and for non-sexual reasons. I think it is boring. Now put some pads on them and give them a stick and you might have something...

Unhappy Yecckkk!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    What do costumes have to do with supposed athletic events, which is the basis for the Olympics? It is a really dreadful evoluton. I think Dick Button 62 years ago wore a suit and tie.

I happen to agree with Wilbon.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by HateCarolina View Post
    Sorry to have to be the misogynistic and homophobic guy to speak up (very much tongue in cheek), but I agree that I do not enjoy men's figuure skating. The sequins and feathers are pretty goofy. When you watch Fox News do you expect to hear about the "great job" that Obama (even more tongue in cheek) is doing. Please I think your comment is blowing something way out of proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What do costumes have to do with supposed athletic events, which is the basis for the Olympics? sagegrouse
    And the women's costumes are highly athletic? No, they are highly sexualized. If both competed in highly functional athletic outifits that would be fine. But the male skaters get criticized (and have thier "manliness" called into question for what they are wearing, but we love to watch young girls in their short skirts. Hmmmm. http://www.slate.com/id/2245021/

Wilbon made no complaints about the highly sexualized costumes worn by the women, which also add nothing to athleticism. I think both gender's costumes are goofy for sporting purposes. It was Wilbon's tone, his body language, his non-verbals, his statements that they weren't manly. My impression was not that he cared about the costumes, but that what he was saying was that he was not going to watch the men because they were not in a real sport and were not macho enough. Tony tried to talk about the athleticism involved and Wilbon simply smirked. Of course no one criticizes women's figure skating as not being athletic enough for the olympics.

But no, there is no homophobia among sportscasters, none at all.
    Last edited by allenmurray; 02-19-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Word of advice: don't take anything Wilbon an Kornheiser say on PTI seriously, its strictly entertainment. Wilbon's macho attitude is more of a self effacing joke that he's actually a frumpy news reporter and desk jockey. If he thinks male figure skating is too fruity for his taste, thats fine, so do I. It has nothing to do with my opinion or relationship with gay people.

Given the fact that there have been two games this week where items were thrown on the floor, I'd be a little concerned about a conch shell out there. But if he was having it confiscated because of the noise, yeah that's pretty weak. Not Royd weak, but a little weak nonetheless.

The conch shell sounded like the horn the scorer sounds to signal substitution. It was similar to confiscating a whistle. They are devices which can disrupt games.

PTI is the best show on ESPN. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    PTI is the best show on ESPN. PERIOD.

PTI is the WORST show on ESPN. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    FALSE. The worst show by far is Jim Rome is Burning.

If it makes people feel better, when Coach K had his comment about the Nets job ("The guy's Russian, right? You think he's going to hire a Polish guy? Really? Really?), they loved it and were very supportive of Coach K not going to the Nets. They're not going to like everything Coach K does, but they're very supportive of him generally (especially being two DC guys) and are very warm with him when K's been on the show.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Good lord, man. ESPN has a show that features Skip Bayless.

ESPN has that idiot HACK STEPHEN A...nothing....NOTHING is as bad as STEPHEN A...