Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Next HC

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Strictly as an aside, I'm so high on Wojo that I think he'll be our next head coach.
    I hope I die (tongue and cheek obviously) before we have to hire another coach. However, if that really does happen in my lifetime (i will be 30 in April), I have already said the best hire available to us is none other than Jeff Capel. He has proven he can win with dignity and recruit at high level (both are necessary in following the footsteps of what I deem as the greatest coach in any sport.......EVER).

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    I hope I die (tongue and cheek obviously) before we have to hire another coach. However, if that really does happen in my lifetime (i will be 30 in April), I have already said the best hire available to us is none other than Jeff Capel. He has proven he can win with dignity and recruit at high level (both are necessary in following the footsteps of what I deem as the greatest coach in any sport.......EVER).
    I like Capel a lot. JD hasn't had enough time at Stanford yet to know if he will be as successful with his own program as is Capel.

Collins and Wojo seem to have equal status at Duke rightnow. If Collins leaves to go be a head coach, Wojo will be the "real" senior associate head coach (as was Dawkins - right now Collins and Wojo both have that title and it seems to be a two-headed monstor). Then we'll have a different feel for Wojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    Capel is a very logical prediction! Right now, I think he's the most logical.

Honestly, I've never seen anyone else on this board predict Wojo. At least, not yet. Of course, the way these things seem to work is, if Wojo does get the position, then most people would have seen it coming for years. Probably, long before I did.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I caught Coach K on the radio today doing the daily DBR with Bob Harris. They recapped last night's game.

Coach was real pleased with the overall team play last night and noted the high level of play from Jon and Kyle.

But he also had praise for Mason, Miles, and Andre. He felt that all 3 had really positive games and said he was especially pleased with the defense of all three, and the rebounding of Miles. He said they made good contributions on offense but was happier (of course) with their defense. He felt all 3 played much better defense including be in the right places at the right time. He said he is hoping all 3 can build on that and give the team a much needed boost down the stretch.

Good stuff. Let's hope these guys can take their games up a notch and make this team even stronger.

On the original subject: Mason did have one ugly looking reach-in after missing his chance for an O-rebound. However, he wasn't whistled, and the UVA player bobbled it out of bounds for a forced turnover. Nice result...but I hope he doesn't get the wrong idea.

Noooo

I thought we generally (no pun intended Mr. Vasquez) played pretty well last night and have no concerns about our effort, except for one play. I can't remember who was dribbling up the court for Maryland (a short guard, maybe Hayes, or Bowie) on a one on one break vs. Mason. Instead of trying to move his feet to get in position to try to stop him, Mason let the guard run by him to time it for a block. I like Mason a lot and look forward to him to continue to improve and develop this year and hopefully for three more exciting years, but that was my least favorite play of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I thought we generally (no pun intended Mr. Vasquez) played pretty well last night and have no concerns about our effort, except for one play. I can't remember who was dribbling up the court for Maryland (a short guard, maybe Hayes, or Bowie) on a one on one break vs. Mason. Instead of trying to move his feet to get in position to try to stop him, Mason let the guard run by him to time it for a block. I like Mason a lot and look forward to him to continue to improve and develop this year and hopefully for three more exciting years, but that was my least favorite play of the game.
    I remember that play as well. It was a bad decision. There's no reason he couldn't have gotten himself in position to defend the shot and alter the guard's path to the basket.

Mason also had a "classic" reach-in-after-OR-attempt foul in the first half, if memory serves.

Would you trade the Plumlee brothers for the Wear twins? I wouldn't.

Bilas said last night that the coaches have said that the Bigs are doing exactly what the coaches want them to on offense--set screens, then set some more screens, and then go to the offensive glass. There is no inside scoring role expected from Duke's Bigs; no pick and roll, no pick and pop, no hi-low. You set a screen, the dribbler comes off, you go to the next option to set another screen for the dribbler to have another of the big 3 to kick to.

Lance has been given the option to shoot a mid range jumper, presumably off a called play. He gets one or two a game. That's the list.

This business of blaming the Bigs for their lack of offensive production should stop! By the way, if you cannot hurt the other guy on offense, it empowers them on the other end. That's the way the game works from 6th grade on up.

K and his minions have made a decision that has produced great results and one has to accept the downside. Or not. Only do not blame the players for what is outside their control!