Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Let's not be like Roy. If you have something to say, put it on the coaching staff. The players are doing their best.
    We aren't coaches, we're fans and hopefully my post came off as only half serious. I think Mason is really playing well, but these fouls are just insanely frustrating.

I mean we aren't talking about him trying to make a play on a drive or something. We are talking about him missing a free throw and running after the guy who gets the board and just slapping at the ball. He's done it multiple times a game for the last few weeks. It has to stop and while its on the coaches to tell him to stop, this is also something the player controls very much. We're aren't talking about the coaches teaching footwork here, we're talking about not making the conscience decision to slap at the ball when another big man gets the rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    The two types of fouls they make that bother me are the reach-ins on the perimeter, and the frustration fouls (especially right after they get beaten to a rebound). If they can learn to stop making those two types of fouls, then we'll be fine. The rest of the fouls will just be Zoubek-type fouls that we should expect on the interior, and as deep as we are in the middle this year, we shouldn't worry if the Plumlees pick up, say, 3 and 2 fouls a game. And even Zoubek has gotten better at not making Zoubek fouls, so hopefully the Plumlees will lessen those in the years to come.
    100% agree. Trying to body someone up or stop a drive, that's one thing, but slapping after you miss a shot or a rebound is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post
    In defense of Miles, anytime someone came close to Collins, a foul was called. How does one play defense in a situation like that when your opponent backs in and lowers his shoulders in driving to the basket. I recorded the game and re-played those fouls and many were very questionable.
    You must not have watched very closely as the times Miles was called for those two fouls on Collins were when Collins faced up and drove the ball baseline from about 18 feet away from the basket. They were nice finesse moves, not lower-your-shoulder power moves, and Miles got beat to the spot.

And for the record, I'm not criticizing that. Its something to work on, but again, its totally different from running after someone after you miss a shot and slapping at the ball. And frankly, I think its a pretty obvious difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I did not watch a lot of the game because I simply can't do it with my girlfriend around.
    It sounds like you have an important decision to make.

Did anybody see the one-and-done rumor for Mason Plumlee on ESPN insider.
    What's up with that?

Video

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    You would think after doing this kinda junk for about a month the coaching staff would have shown him tape and drilled it into him to stop...
    Way back when the coaches showed Hurley what they called an a**hole loop of nothing but him pouting and carrying on, and he obviously got the message.

I would think that they would be able to put together a pretty convincing reaching/frustration foul loop for Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    What's up with that?
    I did not see it, but I think you answered your own question... "ESPN".

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    What's up with that?
    Yeah right. What is he projected at right now, mid-2nd round? If drafted?

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Remember when as a freshman and soph, Shelden Williams committed a lot of similar fouls - and how much he improved in his junior and senior years?

Oh, well done and absolutely agree. All y'all stop berating my Plumlees! Try being their size for a day and then get those feet moving when you're on a small forward.
    We'll see great things from them, guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It sounds like you have an important decision to make.

You have no idea!

I did not watch a lot of the game because I simply can't do it with my girlfriend around. I get too worked up and she gets pissed at me for being too worked up and it's just a mess.
    Seriously! You need to take her to a game in Cameron sometime, I'm sure she'll grow to understand your devotion.
    I used to embarrass my husband at games, and he's a Dukie!
    Now, he even gets up and claps once in a while and not just when the game is over! He's really coming along, I'm very proud of him

Mason?

Who is Mason? Oh, you mean Slappy?

Seriously, though...Mason is like a hyperactive lion cub who bats at everything that walks by...As he grows into his body and becomes a full grown lion he will learn when to pounce and will become king of the court.

Mason is no different than most young post players in college.. he is still learning and adjusting. What is disappointing is when an upper classman that should know, continues the same trend. Give him time.

I'm from Nashville and I'm a big Vanderbilt fan, and I think the same thing about Ogilvy who is a Junior. He and Zoubek have the same issues as post players. A lot of it is blamed on their lack of athleticism, when in reality the majority of their issue is poor foot work and bad angles on defense. The poor or slow footwork is what leads to the reaching. A slow player can still be effective if they have a sense of positioning on the court.

My dream is that one day Duke brings Battier back as an asst. coach, just to teach these ideas to players. He was (and is) a master at it.

Yeah right. What is he projected at right now, mid-2nd round? If drafted?
    My immediate reaction as well. But since I have an insider account I went and checked it out and Chad Ford, who I consider to be one of the better ESPN guys, says that MP2 has a legit shot at the lottery due to the dearth of big men this year.

My guess: the only reason this is being posted is not b/c Mason indicated he is thinking about it, but rather b/c scouts have probably indicated some interest in Mason as a 1st rounder (anyone with connections to scouts here, please chime in.) I find that a little hard to believe but not totally ridiculous. Scouts were drooling over McBob's potential as a frosh when he averaged 5/5. Same with Ed Davis last year at 6/6. "Potential" commands a serious premium in the draft. So that's probably where this speculation is coming from.

Now from Mason's POV, he would have to look at a guy like McBob who increased his numbers to 13/7 (or so) after Sheld left and he got a bigger role, but dropped his draft position significantly as he demonstrated he wasn't a go-to offensive guy. Mason is of a similar mold in that he is athletic, has guard skills with the ball, but isn't a go-to offensive guy...not ridiculous for him to say, heck I might as well strike while the iron's hot.

I know I kinda started it, but this is really speculation for April, not Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    Who is Mason? Oh, you mean Slappy?

Seriously, though...Mason is like a hyperactive lion cub who bats at everything that walks by...As he grows into his body and becomes a full grown lion he will learn when to pounce and will become king of the court.
    I REALLY like that analogy. Well played, dingleberry (speaking of, that's what my 11th grade history teacher, and a HS friend of my father's, used to call my friends and me when we'd get a little too rambunctious in class)

I also read the Chad Ford piece and he is basing his speculation on rising interest in Mason from the NBA scouts that he regularly talks to. Mason is exactly aligned with the modern NBA big man...I am sure they look at him as a Dirk Nowitzki type. To me, the only way to look at it is to hope that he plays well enough to be considered a 2010 lottery pick because that will mean we made a really deep run in March.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Now from Mason's POV, he would have to look at a guy like McBob who increased his numbers to 13/7 (or so) after Sheld left and he got a bigger role, but dropped his draft position significantly as he demonstrated he wasn't a go-to offensive guy. Mason is of a similar mold in that he is athletic, has guard skills with the ball, but isn't a go-to offensive guy...not ridiculous for him to say, heck I might as well strike while the iron's hot.
    Strongly disagree. Josh was soft, but Mason is anything but. IMO, Mason's assertiveness/aggressiveness is one of his best characteristics. IMO, Mason would not hesitate, like Josh did repeatedly, to be our "go-to offensive guy".

Smile I Have a different Dream

Quote Originally Posted by VanDuk View Post
    My dream is that one day Duke brings Battier back as an asst. coach, just to teach these ideas to players. He was (and is) a master at it.
    My dream is that Battier is elected President in 2028, and I don't think the road to the WH goes through the Duke bench.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My dream is that Battier is elected President in 2028, and I don't think the road to the WH goes through the Duke bench.

sagegrouse
    Should your dream come true, I believe we can be sure that the country would be blessed with a "Strong Defense" :-)
    Last edited by dyedwab; 02-19-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    It did for Reggie!

Oh, you mean back through the Duke bench.

Mason like Nowitzki?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    ...I am sure they look at him as a Dirk Nowitzki type. .
    that's absurd. not even close. not yet, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I also read the Chad Ford piece and he is basing his speculation on rising interest in Mason from the NBA scouts that he regularly talks to. Mason is exactly aligned with the modern NBA big man...I am sure they look at him as a Dirk Nowitzki type. To me, the only way to look at it is to hope that he plays well enough to be considered a 2010 lottery pick because that will mean we made a really deep run in March.
    If they see Mason as a Dirk Nowitzki type, then I really question their scouting skills. The two players are completely different styles of players. Dirk is a not-super-athletic big guy who is a really gifted shooter/scorer, but not a great passer. Mason is a super-athletic big guy who isn't a great shooter but has game-changing leaping ability and is actually a pretty good passer (though he has a tendency to try to do too much). I don't disagree that Nowitzki is on people's radar due to his size and athleticism, but I don't think the Nowitzki comp is what they see.

Exactly

they are totally different types of players.