Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Georgia Tech 68, UNC-CH 51

It's obvious that both UNC and GT need a win tonight. Ed Davis is out. Zeller could be back. GT has been in a slump yet holds a 5.5 edge according to Vegas. Who do ya got?

I usually pick the home team. Seems reasonable tonight.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs up GT

Who is going to stop Lawal with Davis out of the lineup? UNC won their one game with their star out of the lineup, now they suffer. And I hope they suffer BIG!

It's a huge game for both teams. GT needs this win to have a good shot at getting to 8-8 in conference and make their tourney bid more comfortable. If they lose this one, then they'll either have to steal a road game or make a deep ACC tourney run.

For UNC, any hopes at an at-large bid rest on getting to at least 7-9 in conference (and probably 8-8). So they can't afford many more losses, especially with road games remaining against Duke and Wake, and tough home games against Md and FSU.

I assume that Zeller won't be available tonight (he just returned to practice yesterday I believe). That gives GT a huge advantage inside. If their guards don't tank, I think they win by 10 or so. If GT's guards don't show up or if their bigs get in real foul trouble, then UNC could win. But unless Zeller plays and plays really well, I have trouble seeing UNC win this one.

I'm not sure wanting has much to do with it. Tech's slump has consisted mostly of playing road games; they've generally been much better at home. And Zeller's only been practicing for a day or so, he's still unlikely to play, and without him the Heels will be left to face Lawal, Favors and Peacock with Thompson, Henson and the lesser Wear. Even Wheat would consider that only a moderate frontcourt advantage for UNC.

Tech should win easily, though the Hewitt Factor can kick in at any time.

5.5 points may be low

It's obvious that both UNC and GT need a win tonight. Ed Davis is out. Zeller could be back. GT has been in a slump yet holds a 5.5 edge according to Vegas. Who do ya got?

Pomeroy predicts GT by 9 and the Sagarin predictor has GT by about 7 points.

Where are you hearing that Zeller will be back tonight? I just read on ACC Blog that he maybe back Saturday, not tonight. Where are you hearing that he is coming back tonight?

I would take Tech in the point here due to there big men inside. Favors and Lawal inside will be a tough match up inside for UNC without Davis and Zeller to contain. Ed Davis had one of his best games vs. Tech with 12 rebounds and 4 blocks in there first meeting, which UNC still lost, and GT won't have to deal with that. Also, UNC will also have two bigs guys in David Wear and Jon Henson. This spells trouble for UNC inside.

It took an outstanding from Will Graves to keep it close in there last meeting, where he rallied them back from 16 points behind to tie the game and lose by 2 in the final minute. This was with Davis in the middle. He won't be there tonight.

I would take GT in the over in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Where are you hearing that Zeller will be back tonight? I just read on ACC Blog that he maybe back Saturday, not tonight. Where are you hearing that he is coming back tonight?

I would take Tech in the point here due to there big men inside. Favors and Lawal inside will be a tough match up inside for UNC without Davis and Zeller to contain. Ed Davis had one of his best games vs. Tech with 12 rebounds and 4 blocks in there first meeting, which UNC still lost, and GT won't have to deal with that. Also, UNC will also have two bigs guys in David Wear and Jon Henson. This spells trouble for UNC inside.

It took an outstanding from Will Graves to keep it close in there last meeting, where he rallied them back from 16 points behind to tie the game and lose by 2 in the final minute. This was with Davis in the middle. He won't be there tonight.

I would take GT in the over in this game.
    Yeah, all I've heard on the radio is that Zeller started practicing again yesterday and that he was possible for Saturday but out for tonight. Of course, you never know with guys coming back from injury. We'll see.

If Zeller plays, then UNC could make it a game. If he doesn't, then I don't think UNC can play with GT inside. Thompson is no match for Lawal, and Favors/Peacock is better than Henson/Wear.

Of course, the part that you omitted was that GT got a career performance from Iman Shumpert in the last UNC game. He went from 30, which is double his next-best game in 2010 (and 8 more than any other game he's ever played). That being said, they also got relatively poor scoring games from Favors and Lawal. So maybe it more than offsets.

Tech has bigger and better players.

Tech has a much worse coach.

Could be a nail-biter if Tech doesn't play with a lot of passion.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

GT certainly has the best player on the court (Lawal). They could potentially have the second-best player on the court if he shows up (Shumpert). If Shumpert plays one of his better games, I think GT wins comfortably. If he struggles and/or if UNC's guards step up, they could make this a game.

GT is the play here, easily. GT is 12-1 at home with wins over Duke, Clemson, and Wake. Their sole home loss was Florida State - in overtime, and on December 20th. Carolina is 1-6 on the road, including a 19 point loss at Clemson and a 21 point loss at Maryland. In both Carolina's lone road win, against N.C. State, and their near loss to GT at home, Ed Davis went for 12 points and 9/8 rebounds. On paper, there is virtually no way Carolina stays in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I haven't. I was just going off talk from earlier this weekend that he had started some practice. I haven't read/heard anything either way.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, all I've heard on the radio is that Zeller started practicing again yesterday and that he was possible for Saturday but out for tonight. Of course, you never know with guys coming back from injury. We'll see.

If Zeller plays, then UNC could make it a game. If he doesn't, then I don't think UNC can play with GT inside. Thompson is no match for Lawal, and Favors/Peacock is better than Henson/Wear.

Of course, the part that you omitted was that GT got a career performance from Iman Shumpert in the last UNC game. He went from 30, which is double his next-best game in 2010 (and 8 more than any other game he's ever played). That being said, they also got relatively poor scoring games from Favors and Lawal. So maybe it more than offsets.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Shumpert lost his mind, especially from 3 in first half that last game, and he hasn't shot that well from beyond the arc since. But at the same time, Favors nor Lawal had the kind of games you would expect. I reall think this is going to be an intersting game for many different reasons. You know how GT likes to bang also, so look for this one to get a little pushy. (Couldn't think of a better word to describe contact, but I'm sick hearing that it's getting "chippy".)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

That's what I'm getting at with this post. We'll see what kind of heart these two teams have tonight. Carolina's tournament hopes on basically hinging on this game barring some sort of ACC tournament miracle. But I have a weird feeling that GT is going to come out slow and just go through the motions. I do not want UNC to get another win and gain any kind of confidence, but a win tonight could do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Shumpert lost his mind, especially from 3 in first half that last game, and he hasn't shot that well from beyond the arc since. But at the same time, Favors nor Lawal had the kind of games you would expect. I reall think this is going to be an intersting game for many different reasons. You know how GT likes to bang also, so look for this one to get a little pushy. (Couldn't think of a better word to describe contact, but I'm sick hearing that it's getting "chippy".)
    Yeah, that's another point of concern. GT's bigs like to bang/push/shove. If the officials "let them play," then GT should win comfortably. If the officials call a tight game (like we saw at Duke), then GT's bigs could get in foul trouble. If Favors and Lawal are in serious foul trouble, I think UNC has a chance to get the upset. Hopefully the GT bigs can stay out of foul trouble.

Lightbulb Don't forget,though, UNC has Hewitt...

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowndevil View Post
    GT is the play here, easily. GT is 12-1 at home with wins over Duke, Clemson, and Wake. Their sole home loss was Florida State - in overtime, and on December 20th. Carolina is 1-6 on the road, including a 19 point loss at Clemson and a 21 point loss at Maryland. In both Carolina's lone road win, against N.C. State, and their near loss to GT at home, Ed Davis went for 12 points and 9/8 rebounds. On paper, there is virtually no way Carolina stays in this game.
    ...whose winning percentage at Tech is about 54%.
    He just may find a way.

Best--Blueprofessor

GT should win this game by double figures. They have the advantage at every position... they just need to play like it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    ...whose winning percentage at Tech is about 54%.
    He just may find a way.

Best--Blueprofessor
    Oh, I am no fan of Hewitt as a game coach. But I really do struggle to find any rationale for picking UNC in this game.

BTW the current title of this thread, "UNC-CH (-5.5)..." implies that Carolina is favored by 5.5 points. I am assuming this is not the case (if it is, I have a few calls to make).

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowndevil View Post
    Oh, I am no fan of Hewitt as a game coach. But I really do struggle to find any rationale for picking UNC in this game.

BTW the current title of this thread, "UNC-CH (-5.5)..." implies that Carolina is favored by 5.5 points. I am assuming this is not the case (if it is, I have a few calls to make).
    I had originally titled it something like, Carolina @ GT tonight. Who wants it most?"

I think the mods changed it. Maybe my thread title wasn't protocol?

I won't rest easy about UNC until they get their 10th loss in the ACC and get knocked out of the ACCT.

Here's hoping they pick up number 8 tonight.

Seems like GT should control this game, but Hewitt is their coach and they aren't exactly the most disciplined team in the world...