Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Frankly, nets don't care if we watch shows, they care about who watches the ads, which is where they make their money.

There is rampant speculation that Nets completely discount DVR viewers because they tend to skip commercials. Ditto for the online viewers. Even if, like me, you go to the Net homepage, where you have to sit through commercials, it is still not good.
    Actually, it's not quite that simple, though you're on the right track. The networks count as many of these people as they can. It's the *advertisers* who don't want to count DVR users. There are several different versions of TV ratings, and some that specifically take DVR "time-shifted" viewers into account. Advertisers would like to pay for only "live" viewers, but networks believe that DVR viewership (live plus seven days, for people who record and watch the show within the first week after it airs) should also be taken into account. The current compromise seems to be to use "live plus 3" as the standard measure of viewership for ad purposes. Networks also like to point out that some shows have a viewership that skews into the higher income demographics (for example, "Lost" and "The Office") and use that as a bargaining chip.

A recent report in an industry publication stated that recent data suggests that 40% of all DVR viewers do, actually, watch the ads (that figure seems unbelievably high to me, but that's what the report said).

This is a huge issue for the networks, and I can see them having to move to another paradigm at some point.

Weird like that

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiablo View Post
    A recent report in an industry publication stated that recent data suggests that 40% of all DVR viewers do, actually, watch the ads (that figure seems unbelievably high to me, but that's what the report said).
    I have been known, on occasion, to stop FFwding to catch an ad. I even FF on a slower pace in order to ad-skim. I stop for the mac/pc ads, if I haven't a new one, TV news blurbs, and movie trailers primarily. Hey, if it's relevant to me, I don't mind watching it. (My husband, OTOH, thinks this is sacrilege.)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Contrast this with a show like Lost. Even though Lost seems willing to kill off recurring characters, Evangeline Lilly, Fox, and the actor who plays Boone are not going anywhere. They are absolutely necessary for the show to play out, and their agents will proceed accordingly.
    Uhhh, Boone?!?! He is dead.

I am guessing you meant Locke. Or did you maybe mean Ben?

Frankly, the only unkillable characters on Lost right now are Kate and Jack because we have seen the flash-forward with them alive. Aside from those 2, everyone else is subject to being offed... though I would really mourne some characters.

In order: Locke, Ben, Sayid, Hurley, Sawyer Desmond. After those folks everyone else can bite the dust and I won't be all that upset. Yes, Claire, I am talking to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Look at HIMYM. I love this show. Barney is legend...wait for it...dary. He is the key component to the show, along with Ted. You could replace the others, (Robin moreso than than Ted's roomies) but not Ted or Barney. Thus, if the show continues beyond next year, it will get expensive. Year 4 is when shows go through the roof. Getting to year 4 means syndication, and potential big time $. Salaries skyrocket accross the board.
    "Legend...wait for it...dary" -- brilliant post!! I actually really want the show to get rid of Ribin. I hate her character. I think the season finale certainly implied that she could be written off with ease.

More on the possible Jericho renewal

This week's sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

"A recent report in an industry publication stated that recent data suggests that 40% of all DVR viewers do, actually, watch the ads"

I don't even watch the ads when I'm not using the DVR. That's why Al Gore invented the remote control.

It is official

Jericho has officially been renewed. 7 episodes at mid-season with an eye toward continuing the series in the future.

CBS execs and Skeet Ulrich both seem to awknowledge that the younger demographic is not properly measured by Nielsen and that this show hit a nerve with the people who live in the online world.

Here is the story.

As an aside, if they ever figure out how to accurately measure online viewing and folks who watch on DVRs and the such, ratings for Lost and The Office will go thru the roof!!

-Jason "I am so in mourning that we have until Feb for Lost" Evans

Tks for the update Jason. Very happy to hear that CBS came to their senses finally!! I wished the WB or CW what ever they call that channel now had done this with Everwood last year too!!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I have been known, on occasion, to stop FFwding to catch an ad. I even FF on a slower pace in order to ad-skim. I stop for the mac/pc ads, if I haven't a new one, TV news blurbs, and movie trailers primarily. Hey, if it's relevant to me, I don't mind watching it. (My husband, OTOH, thinks this is sacrilege.)
    Haha. I tried to do that once (during an episode of How I Met Your Mother) and was roundly booed. My girlfriend actually threw a carrot at me. Suffice to say, ads are not very popular in my house.

Sad truths

Patrick Yates wrote:
    I like scripted serials. Heck, I love them. But they are very expensive. The very nature of the shows requires that actors and show runners must be kept in place long-term, and that is pricey. From a network's perspective, cheap, successful shows are good. Pricey, moderately rated shows are nightmares. (Flops are easy, kill them and move on)

And this is how MBA's have killed television. And movies. Possibly sports. Definitely music.

Don't get me wrong - I teach MBA's regularly. They are good people. But the MBA is the icon of the economic philosophy which puts profit margin as the highest good. With the current obsession with quarterly numbers, this model dooms art that doesn't pander to quick, easy money. Ugh. Hopefully longtail economics will catch on in Hollywood and we can enjoy our smart, engaging, challenging TV.

Exiled
    Patrick - you do know that Futurama is coming back, don't you? not sure of the date, but the news blasted through the web last summer.