Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Three Shows I Hope They Renew (Spoilers)

To be honest, my wife and I just don't watch that much TV anymore. We used to sit down and watch sitcoms or dramas pretty much every night...but that has faded. Now there are some shows I watch that she doesn't (Battlestar Gallactica, 24, Lost), and just a few we watch together. That being said, of those there are a few that are apparently on the chopping block. Here are the tree I really hope they bring back:

3. Jericho. The first 5 episodes of this were pretty weak. But the writers seemed to figure this out as the season went on. I liked the dynamics of the last few shows - and the realism of one town attacking another simply for their food. Face it - in an apocalyptic world, this kind of thing would happen. I would say the odds of this coming back, though, are about 50/50, if that.

2. Friday Night Lights. I absolutely HATED that they had the team win the championship game this year. It makes the next season pretty much anticlimactic, and the movie was so good mainly because they didn't win. Plus it made it seem like they were real nervous about it getting renewed. But for realism, and great acting, this show is one of the best. The jobs put in especially by the grandmother, and the QB's best friend, were so real you often had to remind yourself that these were in fact just actors. Please bring this show back.

1. How I Met Your Mother. Right now, I think this is the funniest show on TV (The Office is funnier at its peaks, but this season has seen a few valleys for that show). All of the characters have come into their roles, and the writing and acting is excellent. The last few shows (especially the one with Barney and The Price is Right) have been great with really almost no bad scene throughout the episode. I would put this season on par with Friends when it was at its peak (in terms of acting and writing).

Just one person's thoughts...

My three shows would be:

1) Friday Night Lights - Udaman was spot on about the QBs best friend. Simpy put, a dominant actor. I love me some Tyra too as I believe she has the most layers of complexity on the show. News came out today that the show is getting renewed so don't need to worry about this one!

2) How I Met Your Mother - I'd be shocked if this wasn't renewed. Shocked. Barney is the funniest character on TV although I do think both the Office and Entourage are funnier overall. Still, that is some pretty lofty company to be in.

3) Scrubs - As much as I try to stay away from it, I'm a sucker for the off-again, on-again romances, and Scrubs does as good of a job of this as any.

4) Veronica Mars - Ok, I know I was only going to put on three but I had to put this one in, not because I like it that much, but because my girlfriend is obsessed with it and would probably make my life http://www.dukebasketballreport.comh...ballreport.com for two depressing weeks if it got canceled.

I've only watched one show with any loyalty over the last 2 years: HBO's "Rome". Great first season; second season not quite as good. Now it's over.

If I have free time in front of the tube, I'll check on the various movie channels, but most often end up watching Discovery HD Theater.

During college football and basketball season, of course, there is a bit more time spent on the couch.

Friday Night Lights Has Been Renewed

This is truly outstanding news because I believe this is the best drama on television - with apologies to Lost which is just a hair below FNL in my opinion because of its inconsitency. I simply don't recall one bad episode of FNL.

Here is the NYT story on NBC's plans for next year's schedule. Scrubs is most likely out as is Studio 60, officially, Crossing Jordan and The Black Donnellys.

Most intriguing of the new shows is Lipstick Jungle based on Candace Bushnell material and sounds very much like Sex and the City, network version - interesting cast though with Brooke Shields and Kim Raver of 24.

I am really relieved that Friday Night Lights made the cut. I just hope they find the right time slot for it and I hope a lot people watch the reruns this summer and get hooked.

Jericho (spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post

3. Jericho. The first 5 episodes of this were pretty weak. But the writers seemed to figure this out as the season went on. I liked the dynamics of the last few shows - and the realism of one town attacking another simply for their food. Face it - in an apocalyptic world, this kind of thing would happen. I would say the odds of this coming back, though, are about 50/50, if that.
    I was really surprised that Gerald McRaney was killed off this week. It is like losing Bonanza's Ben Cartwright in scope. Perhaps, like we're guessing about Locke, he's not really dead... naw, that won't happen.

I sure hope the show comes back next season. It has really grown in quality since it came back from hiatus.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

If Scrubs does not get picked up by NBC, the word is that ABC will add it to their struggling schedule.

I watch Jericho but think the show gets needlessly over-dramatic and has a lot of valleys for each peak. Still, I'd like to see it get renewed.

How I Met Your Mother has struggled this season in the ratings, though it still does fairly well with 25-49, which is a key demographic. Its viewers also tend to be upscale (like The Office, Lost, and 30 Rock). Still, the head of CBS is not a fan of the show and it could easily be cancelled. It is also possible that CBS would treat it like NBC treats Scrubs and renew it but not place it anywhere on the sked until they find a hole that needs to be filled. There is no question that the show is in trouble though.

-Jason

I've been a huge fan of Scrubs since I ran across it (quite by accident) while channel surfing one night during its first season -- but I'm beginning to wonder if it might not be time to let it end. The show is supposed to revolve around the lives of a group of young doctors as they grow and stumble through their internships and residencies. It's not really a medical show, though -- the hospital is just the backdrop for stories about how people (particularly young professionals) evolve personally and professionally in the years from their mid-20s to their early 30s -- i.e., their first 5-7 years out of school and in the "real world."

The problem for Scrubs is that its main characters are now aging out of that life chapter. They're doing things like getting married, having kids, settling down and making other big decisions about their personal and professional futures. Despite all the goofy humor and random non sequiturs, the strength of Scrubs has always been that there's a certain realism to the challenges and choices that the characters face. The reality now, though, is that their challenges and choices are becoming a lot more "grown up," and they're making the kinds of decisions that signify the closing of one's second adolescence and the beginning of true maturity.

As the main characters evolve farther and farther away from the show's foundational premise, I worry that the writers might start using gimmicky plot devices to keep the show "interesting" (for instance, they just recently killed off a long time supporting character in a story arc that lasted three or four episodes). When that happens, the potential for shark jumpage increases significantly. Perhaps it would be better for the creators and producers simply to recognize the show for what it was, congratulate themselves on a great run and let it end gracefully, much like another memorable show based on a premise that effectively included a built-in termination date -- The Wonder Years.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    3. Jericho.
    2. Friday Night Lights.
    1. How I Met Your Mother.
    3. Yes! I have something of an eschaton fetish, so this show was perfectly designed for me. Hawkins became such a great character to watch, and his backstory episode was awarded rare 'Keep Until I Delete' status on my TiVo, in HD no less. Great cliffhanger to end the season.

2. Yes! This was our favorite show on television this season. The character development was phenomenal, and it was superbly acted. I agree with the mixed feelings about having them win, but at the same time I think it takes a certain amount of daring for a writing staff. In the same way that Pam/Jim style tension drags on forever because writers are too scared that the post-resolution episodes will be anticlimactic, I'm sure they share your concerns about writing the show next season. But they took the leap and I have faith that they can keep it compelling.

1. I don't watch this show, but anything with Alyson Hannigan is worth keeping on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    This is truly outstanding news because I believe this is the best drama on television - with apologies to Lost which is just a hair below FNL in my opinion because of its inconsitency. I simply don't recall one bad episode of FNL.
    Yay! This is fantastic news.

No more Rome? No more HBO...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I've only watched one show with any loyalty over the last 2 years: HBO's "Rome". Great first season; second season not quite as good. Now it's over.
    "Rome" is done for? That suxxors! The writing and acting were superb; the guy who played Lucius Vorenus needs to be a leading man in some uber-action MI:III-type movie! Then again, I read that each episode cost more than $2M to produce, so I can't say I'm surprised. The lavish look and feel of all the scenery and costumes added immensely to the enjoyment of the show, but darn those silly accountants who say it's too much.

I wanted to like Showtime's "The Tudors" as much as I liked "Rome," but I'm dreadfully disappointed in it. Johnathan Rhys-Meyers is the hottiest hottie out there right now, but even he's not enough to keep me from cancelling my DVR subscription to this one. CGI cut scenes of castles w/ horses out front were really the last straw.

Well, with Sopranos ending, Rome not coming back, and Entourage's season about over, it looks like there goes my HBO subscription as well...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    "Rome" is done for? That suxxors! The writing and acting were superb; the guy who played Lucius Vorenus needs to be a leading man in some uber-action MI:III-type movie! Then again, I read that each episode cost more than $2M to produce, so I can't say I'm surprised. The lavish look and feel of all the scenery and costumes added immensely to the enjoyment of the show, but darn those silly accountants who say it's too much.

I wanted to like Showtime's "The Tudors" as much as I liked "Rome," but I'm dreadfully disappointed in it. Johnathan Rhys-Meyers is the hottiest hottie out there right now, but even he's not enough to keep me from cancelling my DVR subscription to this one. CGI cut scenes of castles w/ horses out front were really the last straw.

Well, with Sopranos ending, Rome not coming back, and Entourage's season about over, it looks like there goes my HBO subscription as well...
    I'm a big fan of Kevin McKidd, and he has a lot of projects under his belt across the pond:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571727/

In the US, outside of 'Rome' he is probably best known for his role in "Dog Soldiers", playing a pretty badass military man fighting werewolves.

Ray Stevenson, who plays Titus Pullo, is similarly distinguished:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829032/

And looks like he's getting a little bit more recognition after 'Rome'.

Thread-hijack

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I'm a big fan of Kevin McKidd, and he has a lot of projects under his belt across the pond...

Ray Stevenson, who plays Titus Pullo, is similarly distinguished:
    The quality of these 'no-name' actors from Rome, who are pretty common on random British television just make make me wish that BBC America actually showed real BBC TV shows, instead of schlocky "What not to wear" and "Weakest link" reruns. That way, we'd get to enjoy these actors all the more.

I also loved Ciaran Hinds (Caesar; also great in Munich), the ladies who played Atia, Niobe and Cleopatra, and of course, James Purefoy, probably best known over here for his role as Prince Edward in 'A Knight's Tale.'
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 05-11-2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo

As resident booster for all things HBO, I would suggest DevilAlumna not cancel yet. Out of the four or five new shows coming down the pipe from them, at least one or two have to be worth our while. "John from Cincinnati" is from the same guy who came up with "Deadwood," so if you were into that, you might give at least that one a try. They're also supposedly doing a couple two-hour movies to wrap up the open ends from "Deadwood." There's also the "John Adams" miniseries coming.

Not to mention that there's one more season of The Wire at some point. Talk about shows with a ton of amazing actors you never get to see anywhere else!

I never got into Rome all that much. I think its strength was in deconstructing the "Ancient Rome" genre very nicely. I liked that it seemed realistic, and the feeling that it was written by a patchwork team of soap opera writers, political junkies and anthropologists all locked in a room together. But it seemed too spread out, I found it hard to care about any of the characters, and it didn't have any message really.

Cavlaw, I would argue Kevin McKidd is better known in the States for his role in "Trainspotting." At least to me, because I've never heard of "Dog Soldiers." :^)

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I was really surprised that Gerald McRaney was killed off this week. It is like losing Bonanza's Ben Cartwright in scope.
    I agree, that was a shocker.

I think Jericho is one of the creepiest shows I've ever seen-- the storyline with New Bern attacking Jericho for their food, or Jericho turning the refugees out because of a lack of food, just gives me the willies. Not to mention the six Americas, the flag with stripes going the wrong way and only 21 stars, the fallout episode, and the food drops with Chinese characters on them.

I agree with Jason that the show sometimes needs a kick in the pants, but the acting is always good. I'd hate to see this one not get renewed.

But now that it turns out that Daniel Benzali is the leader of the bad guys I think it'd be a tragedy not to renew it-- that guy gives good evil. ;-)

Does anyone know when the actual announcements get made?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    4) Veronica Mars - Ok, I know I was only going to put on three but I had to put this one in, not because I like it that much, but because my girlfriend is obsessed with it and would probably make my life http://www.dukebasketballreport.comh...ballreport.com for two depressing weeks if it got canceled.
    I'm just glad we got three seasons of this show.

If your girlfriend turned you on to this show AFTER the first season, do yourself a favor and rent the DVDs and watch the first season. The show is still good, but the first season was on a totally different level.

16. Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Does anyone know when the actual announcements get made?
    The network's "up fronts"--the full schedules that the networks use to sell advertising--are just coming out now. NBC's was just relased. Some highlights that involves shows mentioned in this discussion:

* Scrubs was picked back up by NBC (some speculated it might jump to ABC), but only for 16 episodes;

* Studio 60 won't be back;

* Friday Night Light's will be back, despite bad ratings;

* Heroes will be back (of course) as well as a Heroes spin-off that will air during the summer called "Heroes: Origins" (or something like that) that will involve news heroes' stories and the audience will have a chance to vote on of these new heroes onto the main show. (Sounds kind of gimmicky, no?)

17. Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I'm just glad we got three seasons of this show.

If your girlfriend turned you on to this show AFTER the first season, do yourself a favor and rent the DVDs and watch the first season. The show is still good, but the first season was on a totally different level.
    I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed by the state of the show, to the point that I don't really care if it gets cancelled. I still enjoyed it (and this past episode was fun because Paul Rudd is so great), but it's nothing compared to the first two seasons. Season 1 and 2 held together really well, and had great characters and suspense. At this point, the show is just spinning it's wheels (still better than most tv shows, etc.), and leaving loose ends hanging all over the place. I think the folks involved need to just move on to something else. The FBI revamping might have been interesting, but I don't think they'll ever get the kind of support from the CW that the show deserves to really succeed.

Jericho

CBS announced today that it is picking up 4 new dramas for 2007-08.

"Viva Laughlin" is based on the BBC murder/mystery/musical show "Blackpool."

"Cane" is about a powerful Latino family who owns a rum company.

"Moonlight" is about a vampire (no word on whether it will star David Boreanaz.

And "Swingtown" is about couples in the 70s who are into swinging (not the dance, the lifestyle).

No word yet from CBS about Jericho, but if they are adding 4 new dramas, that is not a good sign for Jericho.

Still, with the writers strike looming this fall, everyone is going to be racing to get product in the can over the summer. It may be that the networks will order more than they can put on the schedule right away because they know they will need product when the scripts dry up.

-Jason "NBC ordered 35 new half-hours of The Office for 2007-08... WOW!!" Evans

19. Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

"Viva Laughlin" is based on the BBC murder/mystery/musical show "Blackpool."
    I saw "Viva Blackpool" on BBC America last year. It was really pretty good, but very odd. It was a crime investigation/working class drama/noir where the characters suddenly broke out into song-and-dance numbers involving recent pop songs. The acting was really good, but I'm just not sure at all that it is something that will translate well to an American audience. Plus, this is something that ran for one season in the UK, which is limited to six episodes. I think it would be a stretch to make this last a whole US season of 20 + episodes.

I'll probably tune in out of sheer curiosity, though.

Big Love redux?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

And "Swingtown" is about couples in the 70s who are into swinging (not the dance, the lifestyle).
    Are they trying to go after the "curious about alternate states of marriage" audience, a la HBO's "Big Love"?

And Mal, thanks for the reminder of the upcoming new HBO shows -- the John Adams mini-series looks great (reading the book right now); and I'm curious to see what Flight of the Conchords will actually be about. Plus, Big Love is starting up again. I was on-again-off-again about it last season, but there was enough intrigue (and I think the females who play the wives are well-cast) that I'll give the first few episodes another chance.

Any news on whether Showtime's 'Weeds' (snort-laugh-out-loud funny on occasion) will be making another appearance?