N&O article about team chemistry

I can't speak to what this N&O article (linked by DBR) has to say about the Heels, but I thought it was absolutely wrong in what it said about the Blue Devils. It talks about how Coach K doesn't seem to "love" this team as much, and how the players don't seem so "close" on a personal level.

That seems the complete opposite of the truth to me. I don't have exact quotes at my fingertips (though I could probably search through the post-game quotes on GoDuke if I had more time), but I believe Coach K has said several times how much he cares about this team. We've all seen him cheering on the sidelines in a way he rarely does. And I realize that the press doesn't have access to the meetings with the Cameron Crazies, but if they did, then this N&O guy would make no mistake about how much Coach cares about this team.

And as for the players, they seem pretty tight, too. Look at the way they cheer each other on. I seem to remember a quote from Jon about how the losses have made them closer. And pretty much one of my favorite quotes of the year came from Lance after Dave was injured in a game (I don't remember which one), and Lance said, "Dave is my brother. When I saw that, it was like someone struck my mama."

So this story seems way off-base to me. In fact, this team actually appears closer and more emotional because of all their struggles. Any thoughts?

He is long past retirement time

Caulton Tudor used to be a good columnist, but he should have retired about ten years ago. I doubt he has enough access to either program to know what he was talking about, and instead this was all speculation because he didn't have any other ideas for a column.

Hi Zingit! Hope you are well

I did not want to mention this, but i think it may be worthy of note. Did you happen to notice the reaction when MP was taken out the game against Maryland on this particular instance?

He had come in the game and played only about 1 or maybe 2 mins tops. He was removed by Henderson as I recall. When GH called MP out, the reaction on Martys; face was utter disappointment. I watched MP as he went to the bench, and was clearly frustrated. To be honest, it's the first time I have ever seen him react in such a way. He was tossed a towel, and sort of slammed it down on the floor as he took his seat. Frustration was clearly on his face, as it was obvious from my seat across from the DUKE bench.

This came not after a turnover, or anything obvious that would have him frustrated. Coach Collins saw the reaction, and went to MP and talked to him.

I do not know if he was frustrated by getting so little playing time, or if had made a mistake I was unaware of. Marty continued to cheer and urge crowd support as he always does, but clearly was not happy about SOMETHING. Several people around me noticed it, and trinitydevil, who sits down on the first row, noticed it too.

I love Marty and hope is not frustrated due to lack of PT. I hope he was mad at himself and not the coaching staff. And did any of you here on DBR notice that as well? It most probably would not have been on TV

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    I can't speak to what this N&O article (linked by DBR) has to say about the Heels, but I thought it was absolutely wrong in what it said about the Blue Devils. It talks about how Coach K doesn't seem to "love" this team as much, and how the players don't seem so "close" on a personal level.

That seems the complete opposite of the truth to me. I don't have exact quotes at my fingertips (though I could probably search through the post-game quotes on GoDuke if I had more time), but I believe Coach K has said several times how much he cares about this team. We've all seen him cheering on the sidelines in a way he rarely does. And I realize that the press doesn't have access to the meetings with the Cameron Crazies, but if they did, then this N&O guy would make no mistake about how much Coach cares about this team.

And as for the players, they seem pretty tight, too. Look at the way they cheer each other on. I seem to remember a quote from Jon about how the losses have made them closer. And pretty much one of my favorite quotes of the year came from Lance after Dave was injured in a game (I don't remember which one), and Lance said, "Dave is my brother. When I saw that, it was like someone struck my mama."

So this story seems way off-base to me. In fact, this team actually appears closer and more emotional because of all their struggles. Any thoughts?
    i'm not sure how you can make a determination of how much k "cares" about this team based on a couple of quotes. if he doesn't "care" about his team, does he actually say that to the press. i also think that it silly that you think the players are "tight" based on how you see them cheer each other on on tv. without any inside information, it is pretty pointless to discuss this subject because what you see and what actually is going on very often deviate from one and other.

zingit,

I agree that Tudor's article was ill-advised; I still haven't forgiven that 'writer' for his STUPID column about Shavlik a couple years ago, entitled 'Shavlik is a Dud for Duke.'

I know Tudor (I grew up in Raleigh) and he is prone to hyperbole and stretching things a bit to evoke some 'ire', much like that writer did for Duke when they went up to play Boston College recently.

But his words on K not 'loving' this team are just stupid and baseless.

anyway, he's gotta do something for a living and maybe next time i see him in the neighborhood i'll just drive over and run over him.

dth.