Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will NC State retain Sidney Lowe?

It looks like NC State is heading to another loss today to UNC to fall to 2-10 in the ACC. Is it time for NC State to get another coach in Raleigh that can actually win on a consistent basis? I think Lowe is done after this year. Any thoughts?

Here are his records since taking the helm in 2006:

2006-2007: 20-16 overall and 5-11 in ACC (NIT)
    2007-2008: 15-16 overall and 4-12 in ACC
    2008-2009: 16-14 overall and 6-10 in ACC
    2009-2010: 14-12 overall and 2-10 in ACC so far

They won't make the NIT or NCAA Tournament this year so that is one NIT appearance in 4 years for Lowe. How long does NC State want to give him to start a program, a program that went to the NCAA Tournament 5 consecutive years under Herb Sendek from 2001-2002 through 2005-2006? A program that has won two national championships as well...

NC State screwed up BIG TIME when they cut Sendek and hired Lowe. He is in over his head and it shows with NC State's awful play.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'd say ask again after this game. If he can't beat this team now, he is gone. If he wins, he is back on probation.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

State didn't cut Sendek.

It's Sidney.

It's no secret that Lowe wasn't State's top choice. Or even second. He had a pretty steep learning curve coming in.

He's got some studs arriving next year. He'll be back. But next year will most likely be a make-or-break-season for Lowe. He has to show significant progress.

Talking Lowe for Five!

I think he will get a fifth year, for sure. although, no doubt, there will be some grumbling.

sagegrouse

So since NC State didn't cut Sendek, I'm assuming he cut them? Thought ASU was a notch up on NCSU? Insight?

NCSU just lost again, dropping them to 2-10 in the ACC and getting swept by a UNC team having one of their worst seasons in recent memory. I just don't see how he gets brought back next year, but if you say he has some studs coming in, I guess they might give him a shot. Still, he is WAY in over his head.

Tough to see how he saves his job after his team quit today.

I think he'll get one more year. He has a pretty good recruiting class coming in. Ryan Harrow is solid.

Most big State supporters want AD Lee Fowler gone first. There have been some pretty eye-opening statistics floating around regarding the athletic program there. They haven't won anything in years, save for something like a conference air-rifle championship a few years ago. Taking the athletics program as a whole, they are definitely near the bottom of Div-I. They've got big problems.

Yeah, the big revenue Olympic sports have left lots to be desired recently. Basketball has been down, football has been down, and baseball has been down (25-31 last year). Maybe their women's programs have had some success recently, I honestly don't pay women's sports much attention but I don't think they are a traditional powerhouse in women's basketball either. Lots to be desired for in athletics down in Raleigh in my opinion...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If the athletic department wants to save any face they will cut him right after the ACC tourney. (Which they won't win) They have had too many bad fires/hires (in all sports) for Sidney to hang around too long. The buzz before this season was that he recruited well enough to help the team, and it didn't happen. There will be no change with the new recruits. This is not Lowe's game to coach, even though he was a good player.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

"NC State screwed up BIG TIME when they cut Sendek and hired Lowe. He is in over his head and it shows with NC State's awful play."

This implies that State fired Sendek. State did not fire Sendek. He quit, in part because of a whiny fan-base that couldn't accept that Sendek wasn't Mike Krzyzewski or Roy Williams. State went after folks like Rick Barnes, John Calipari and Jay Wright and came up empty.

Believe me or not but I know what I'm talking about here. Sidney Lowe will not be fired following this season.

And yes, lots of State folks are unhappy with their current AD. With some justification.

NCSU loses a lot of my respect for running out a class guy and great coach in Herb Sendek because of a "whiny fanbase." The guy can flat out coach, and though he is not K or Roy, he is a heck of a lot better than Sydney Lowe.

If you are right and Lowe isn't fired after the season, NCSU will struggle for another year. The guy seems nice and was a great player, but the whole wins and losses thing as a coach evidently isn't clicking with him. They are a pitiful team. I don't know how they beat Duke other than thinking of the saying, "One blind squirrel finds a but every now and again."

What I can never understand is why this "whiny fan-base" can turn on such a successful coach as Sendek, but seemingly keeps giving Lowe a pass as he finishes at the bottom year after year. All of the state fans I know are focused on the AD, as has been mentioned, but that doesn't change the fact that they once had a good basketball coach and now they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    What I can never understand is why this "whiny fan-base" can turn on such a successful coach as Sendek, but seemingly keeps giving Lowe a pass as he finishes at the bottom year after year. All of the state fans I know are focused on the AD, as has been mentioned, but that doesn't change the fact that they once had a good basketball coach and now they do not.
    What this person said.

I think he's done.
    When you think how many they tried to hire last time,, and settled on Sydney Lowe.. I fear they'll have difficulty hiring a named coach,, they will have to probably go the "top assistant" route this time.. IMHO..

State fans are not happy with anything at NCSU.. over the last 5-10 yrs they've been asked to "Put up" big $$$$ 's.. they've done so.. football, basketball etc.. now they're sick and tired of the excuses and let's face it,, they aren't good at anything.

Jim is right here, they're going to give him next year. Sid's been pointing to next year's recruiting class for awhile now. I would think they'd have to make the NCAA tournament next year for Sid to stay.

I don't see Fowler holding onto his job much longer, though.

I sure hope they do not fire him after next year. The News & Observer stated today that he will be back next year. As long as State has him as coach that is another ACC team that we will never have to worry about. He is 17-41 versus ACC teams in his time. Any other coach would be long gone. He must have pictures of someone!!!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    State went after folks like Rick Barnes, John Calipari and Jay Wright and came up empty.
    Even the thought of Calipari coaching in the ACC makes me want to take a shower. On the other hand, watching him face Coach K on a regular basis might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Believe me or not but I know what I'm talking about here. Sidney Lowe will not be fired following this season.
    I definitely believe you and I also believe Sidney Lowe deserves another year at the helm. It would be premature to fire Lowe after this season. N.C. State fans are going to have to be patient, which isn't exactly their strong suit.
    Bob Green

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I agree with Jim. Lowe will be back next year. Fowler is already on record stating he will not fire Lowe this year. The key difference in next year's class from this year's is that he brings in a really good PG next year. That position has killed them every since his 2nd season.

Their guards are just really weak. Which makes our loss to them hurt that much more. We now see that was just a "lightning in a bottle" game that State is not capable of reproducing. As bad as Unc-ch's perimeter players are, State's are even worse.

If next year's class proves to be as good as advertised, and he can get them above .500 in conference and show major progress it will save his job. However, if next year is a repeat of this year, I think he is gone.