Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Former Player Sightings?

What alumni made the game? I saw JJ, that was it.

Happy (2^^8)-1 bday and 1k day coach k.

Greg Paulus and Dave McClure were there from recent teams.

At halftime there were appearances by all kinds of Duke players, coaches, managers and trainers from the last seven decades. They mentioned Art Heyman, Vic Bubas, and Pete Gaudet specifically. I'm not very good with faces of the older players, but it was a fairly huge turnout for the Duke basketball family!

Then they almost got trampled when the turtles ran back on the court...

Alarie. Bucky Waters.

And future alumnus Josh Hairston.

Was that Matt Christensen in the black sweater with the shaved head? Had to do a double-take from where I was sitting -- looked sort of not dissimilar from Shane.

Yes, that was monster matt. Alarie was there; Alaa Abdelnaby was sitting with Tom Butters. Pete Gaudet was in the house too.

Mark Alarie and Alaa Abdelnaby were some of the first players that I could readily recognize when I first started watching the Blue Devils with my dad as young kid. Does anyone know what either of them are up to nowadays?

Alaa is an analyst for the NBA network and I also believe he does play-by-play of some NBA games in Arabic (or something along those lines).

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Was that Matt Christensen in the black sweater with the shaved head? Had to do a double-take from where I was sitting -- looked sort of not dissimilar from Shane.
    Black sweater and shaved head?!?!?

OHHHH pictures PLEASE!!

Were there any recruiting targets at the game ? It would have been a great game for them to be at.

gene banks, kenny dennard, steve gray, steve vacendak, art heyman,jay heaps, jim suddath, chris reddinng, paul fox, neil mcgeachy (former coach - spelling?) randy denton, the ole left hander, Fred Lind, and many, many others. it was great!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by mehmattski View Post
    Greg Paulus and Dave McClure were there from recent teams.

At halftime there were appearances by all kinds of Duke players, coaches, managers and trainers from the last seven decades. They mentioned Art Heyman, Vic Bubas, and Pete Gaudet specifically. I'm not very good with faces of the older players, but it was a fairly huge turnout for the Duke basketball family!

Then they almost got trampled when the turtles ran back on the court...
    Art Heyman had planned to attend but did not make it. Among those I had the opportunity to visit briefly were Kenny Dennard, Alaa Abdelnaby, Mike Lewis, Joe Kennedy, Tim Kolodziej, and Steve Vacendak. Others I recognized in the house were Fred Lind, Jim Suddeth, Carrol Youngkin, Gene Banks, Randy Denton, Ray Cox.

What about the NBAers?

It is All-Star weekend, they could easily have made it!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    What about the NBAers?

It is All-Star weekend, they could easily have made it!
    The only NBA player I saw was JJ. The turnout by our marquee players was disappointing, to be honest. I thought it would have been really neat to have all the retired jerseys in attendance, but we only had one. Too bad.

I know that a bunch of the NBA guys use the break as a chance to spend some time with their family and get away from basketball.

Don't think it's unreasonable for them to want a break from the game.

7 month season with 4 days off and you guys are disappointed that they didn't want to spend those 4 days at Duke.

I think that's unfair!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DUBlue View Post
    I know that a bunch of the NBA guys use the break as a chance to spend some time with their family and get away from basketball.

Don't think it's unreasonable for them to want a break from the game.

7 month season with 4 days off and you guys are disappointed that they didn't want to spend those 4 days at Duke.

I think that's unfair!!!
    If you think the NBAer's deserve a breal for not being there, I won't disagree with you. They do indeed have a long season, so the rest they get this weekend is certainly much-needed. That didn't stop JJ from being there, but I certainly understand why some of the guys would rather use the weekend to recharge. Laettner, Hurley, THill, Lang, Davis, and the some of the other guys from the '90s teams that aren't playing pro ball right now genuinely surprised me by no-showing, though.

Why was Christian Laettner not there? Danny Ferry? Interesting that they weren't there but a guy like Peter Gaudet was.

Did Pete take place in any half time festivities?

Does anyone know,, if.. ALL players, managers, ex coaches etc, were invited,, where would they all sit ?? I mean.. that's a lot of people over the years..
    Does Cameron just hold back selling 100's of tickets from season ticket holders for this one game ??

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Does anyone know,, if.. ALL players, managers, ex coaches etc, were invited,, where would they all sit ?? I mean.. that's a lot of people over the years..
    Does Cameron just hold back selling 100's of tickets from season ticket holders for this one game ??
    Invitations went out to all previous players, coaches, managers and trainers. A few attendees were seated in various locations downstairs in Cameron. The rest were in a nearby facility where they could watch the game and come in to make an appearance at halftime. A gathering is scheduled this evening to honor Coach K. The guest list includes all the returning players, coaches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Why was Christian Laettner not there? Danny Ferry? Interesting that they weren't there but a guy like Peter Gaudet was.

Did Pete take place in any half time festivities?
    Pete was part of the 90's group, was one of the few to be called out by name, and got a nice ovation. Very touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Black sweater and shaved head?!?!?

OHHHH pictures PLEASE!!
    http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-...87617038_DC6j4

All the way on the left.