Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zouperman!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I first want to congratulate Z, he played a hell of a game, BUT I'd also like to point out that maryland lacks size. He DID show a glimpse with his block against carolina, but I would like to postpone the coronation until he does things against able big men.

Thank you Z.
    I agree. I was cringing while reading some of the posts about this being Z's coming out game and the like.

I was as delighted as anyone that he could contribute that much in this game, but let's not get carried away. I think we all know that anytime Z has a game like this it's just a bonus. We have to be careful that we're not setting ourselves up for a big disappointment if we expect this to become the norm from the big guy. Unless he has those kind of numbers over the next 3-4 games, I think we should count our blessings, tip our hats, and say "thanks big guy".

The excitment about the dunk is almost embarrasing to me. He should be dunking, he's 7ft tall. Let's not make a holiday out of it on the one occasion that he actually grabs the rim.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    The excitment about the dunk is almost embarrasing to me. He should be dunking, he's 7ft tall. Let's not make a holiday out of it on the one occasion that he actually grabs the rim.
    "They were such uplifting buckets," Krzyzewski said. "He was even playing above the rim. I'm going to try to figure out what he did last night and what he had for training meal (today). "
    If he (JJ Redick) thought that was incredible, then there's no telling what went through his head with 17:05 to play when Zoubek delivered the signature play of the afternoon. It came after a missed Kyle Singler 3-pointer caromed harmlessly into the air.
    Yet Zoubek maneuvered through the lane like a snow plow, sprung a good 14 inches off the ground and delivered a vicious tip dunk.
    Duke led 48-26. The Cameron Crazies were in hysterics.
    Scheyer couldn't believe his eyes.
    "I seriously had to take a double-look," he said. "I didn't know who that was."
    Both quotes from here..http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/02/14/976145

So Coach K and Scheyer, and the entire population of Cameron that day should be embarrassed too? Just because you are tall does not mean you should be able to dunk. By your reasoning he should handle the opening tip every game, too. Sorry, Debbie Downer, but it's a rare event and worth celebrating. I also doubt (at least I haven't read it in this thread) that anyone expects a repeat performance, but what is a fact is that Zoubs has steadily improved over the course of this season, earning him the start of that game. Whether he puts up 16 points or 6, we have been a better team with him on the court.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Whether he puts up 16 points or 6, we have been a better team with him on the court.
    This is the key, IMO, and the plus/minus numbers have borne this out all year. There was one moment in the Maryland game where the Terps were making a little run, and I thought to myself, what happened to our defense? Then I looked more carefully and neither Z nor Lance were on the floor. They subbed in and the run ended and Duke's lead shot back up. I don't think it was a coincidence.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I first want to congratulate Z, he played a hell of a game, BUT I'd also like to point out that maryland lacks size. He DID show a glimpse with his block against carolina, but I would like to postpone the coronation until he does things against able big men.
    In reality the fact that this happened against a smaller/quicker team like Maryland made it all the more impressive. This is exactly the type of team that Zoubs has struggled with the last 2 years. Teams like this were able to spread the floor and exploit Brian's lack of quickness needed to guard smaller players and take advantage of his size.

Since late last year Brian has had his better games against teams with size. He was a key player in the ACC Championship game last year with his defense against a huge FSU frontline.

Maryland was unable to exploit Brian in any way in that game and instead he exploited their lack of size in a big way. Something he is finally able to do through a lot of hard work and improvement. He has had a good year and this was a breakout game of sorts. No one is saying he is going to post double doubles the rest of the way, but like he has much of the year I think it is fair to expect him to continue to be a great offensive rebounder and a presence inside on defense.

To try to pooh pooh away his performance on Saturday is an injustice to the young man. Give the kid his due. He earned it in a very important game.

Zoubs has really elevated his energy level this year IMO. The play that stands out in my mind was the block he made against UNC when he sprinted back after a miss. I simply don't remember anything like it from 2009 and before.

It will be horribly disappointing if this game is just a fluke because we are so desperately in need of a big man to step up. The big X-factor I think for most is whether or not the big men will give us a fully balanced offense. Zoubs showed us he's fully capable. Let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best. He knows all eyes will be on him next game.

Zoo

I called one of my other old-head Duke buddies right after the game and said - See, I've been telling you for 2 years that Zoo can deliver if given the playing time - I am happy for him - he seems to be a true Team First guy ----

Zoubek's Career Offensive Game

Congratulations to Brian for a great game. When the refs have let him stay on the floor he has been doing a great job on defense and done a lot of the dirty work for the offense.

He is the 5th option on offense most of the time when his is on the floor so any points he scores are a bonus. We can (and have) argued about the wisdom of that but it is what it is so I agree with those expressing reservations that he is going to suddenly become a large point producer on offense the rest of the year.

Perhaps his success and the team's success against Maryland might cause the big three to give him and the other bigs a few more touches in the paint which would be a good thing come tournament time.

Are we certain that Zoubek can't jump?

Take a look at the picture in this article.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/spo...tory-1.1152804

The key for this team is to make Z and the other bigs go-to options at key moments. That will take everybody getting better at their roles; more experience brings trust, and no team wins without trust. No team. It is time to trust the bigs, especially the seniors, but not only then. Let them be full participants. It might just win a championship, and even if it doesn't, it will honor the game, a game meant to be played by 5 and not 3. Go Duke!

I know some of you out there must have photoshop skills. How about photoshopping the Superman logo onto Zoubs, and chaging the S to a Z? Would like to see it here. Would love to see it even more on a big sign in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I know some of you out there must have photoshop skills. How about photoshopping the Superman logo onto Zoubs, and chaging the S to a Z? Would like to see it here. Would love to see it even more on a big sign in Cameron.
    Great idea. I hope someone does this and that I get to see in on TV on Saturday...err - make that Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    The key for this team is to make Z and the other bigs go-to options at key moments. That will take everybody getting better at their roles; more experience brings trust, and no team wins without trust. No team. It is time to trust the bigs, especially the seniors, but not only then. Let them be full participants. It might just win a championship, and even if it doesn't, it will honor the game, a game meant to be played by 5 and not 3. Go Duke!
    I don't think "go-to" is the right phrase. It's overkill. What's needed is what we saw tonight -- enough touches that they feel a part of the offense. Sometimes, those touches will lead to baskets for the bigs, like when Zoubs sealed his man and Kelly hit him for a pair of layups. Sometimes those touches will lead to baskets for others, like when Zoubs hitting a cutting Kyle for a layups. Sometimes those touches will just relieve pressure on the Big 3 for a moment. Duke's bigs still need to be, first and foremost, screeners and offensive rebounders. But getting them more touches in the flow of the offense -- not necessarily just throwing the ball to them on the block and letting them go to work, but at the elbow, in motion, etc. -- will help everyone.

A nifty left hook move to score in the first half. A great spin move to his right in the second half, but he launched it about 2 feet past the rim. But at least he's making those moves and hopefully will convert more of them as the season progresses. Great hustle in this Miami game. The five steals are as impressive as the rest of his game. And another game with long minutes without fouling out! He did a credible job defensively on Collins, who is a very good player, quick and strong.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Another great game by Brian tonight...I loved his defense.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    But at least he's making those moves and hopefully will convert more of them as the season progresses.
    I know your post was generally positive but I have a minor quibble: Z shot 4 for 5 tonight -- how many more was he supposed to convert?

Big ups to Z

I've got to take the time out to commend Zoubek on the way he's been playing lately. He's been very good defensively and on the boards all season, but his offense has really picked up over the past few games.

Brian did some things against Miami that I'd never seen from him. He executed a dropstep power move for a layup last night and I almost jumped outta my window; I'd been waiting to see that for 3.5 years.

Better late than never, but Zoubek is looking more and more legit each outing. If Brian (or Lance, Mason or Miles, for that matter) can consistently score around 10 points for Duke each game, both the prospects and complexion of this team totally change.

Kudos to Brian and keep up the good work!!!

Does anyone think that the better play by Zoubs has helped Kyle and that Kyle's play has also helped Zoubs?

I've been noticing that the last few games Zoubs and Kyle often work well together. When Zoubs catches the ball at the free throw line he often gives it to Kyle who is driving towards the basket. Also when Kyle draws the double team he often gets it to a wide open Zoubs for the dunk. This is the kind of team play that I would like to see continue. If Lance or the other 4 works on his screening and movement the Kyle-Zoubs duo could be very effective.

There are some good examples of this in the highlights from Miami. http://www.youtube.com/user/DukeBlue.../0/rchGyl4eYCU

I have certainly been one of zoubek's harshest critics, but he has made me eat my words the last two games. In fact, it started with the last play of the BC game, where he really made a heady play to close out on the open shooter (Trapagni) and forced him to alter his shot at the buzzer, even though that wasnt his man.

Hopefully seeing some of these shots go down will build his confidence, and he will feel more comfortable just reacting, rather than thinking about his offensive moves. The back down and spin to his left last night was beautiful.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Without Beard:

9.9 Min/Game, 56% FG%, 3.6 PPG, 12.6 reb per 40 min

With Beard:

16 Min/Game, 62% FG%, 5.5 PPG, 16.4 reb per 40 min

The beard has superpowers. It's science

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I don't think "go-to" is the right phrase. It's overkill. What's needed is what we saw tonight -- enough touches that they feel a part of the offense. Sometimes, those touches will lead to baskets for the bigs, like when Zoubs sealed his man and Kelly hit him for a pair of layups. Sometimes those touches will lead to baskets for others, like when Zoubs hitting a cutting Kyle for a layups. Sometimes those touches will just relieve pressure on the Big 3 for a moment. Duke's bigs still need to be, first and foremost, screeners and offensive rebounders. But getting them more touches in the flow of the offense -- not necessarily just throwing the ball to them on the block and letting them go to work, but at the elbow, in motion, etc. -- will help everyone.
    Agreed. Let's not try to force them into something that they are not. But we absolutely need to get them involved. And if we can find ways to create easy baskets for them, all the better. Getting great post feeds (like the one Kelly had to Zoubs) are great. Getting good spacing to create alleyoop opportunities for the Plumlees are great. But all of it needs to be in the flow of the offense - not forced or "go-to."