Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zouperman!

Qualify it?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I first want to congratulate Z, he played a hell of a game, BUT I'd also like to point out that maryland lacks size. He DID show a glimpse with his block against carolina, but I would like to postpone the coronation until he does things against able big men.

Thank you Z.
    As far as I'm concerned, Zoubs has played well all year. I almost never say anything about officiating, but I have to now. Zoubs never gets the benefit of the doubt by the zebras. More than once have I seen them make the incorrect call. I've run the plays back just to see and it's clear the refs make their minds up before they blow that whistle. When he's in foul trouble it limits the time he's on the floor and the way he's played this year, it hurts us on both defense and offense. Zoubs has limited his illegal picks and that has helped some. Let's hope he continues to play well the rest of the year. It would be a fitting end to his Duke career. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, Zoubs has played well all year. I almost never say anything about officiating, but I have to now. Zoubs never gets the benefit of the doubt by the zebras. More than once have I seen them make the incorrect call. I've run the plays back just to see and it's clear the refs make their minds up before they blow that whistle. When he's in foul trouble it limits the time he's on the floor and the way he's played this year, it hurts us on both defense and offense. Zoubs has limited his illegal picks and that has helped some. Let's hope he continues to play well the rest of the year. It would be a fitting end to his Duke career. Go Duke!
    I will say it again... Brian Zoubek is the best offensive rebounder in the country.

Great point about the illegal screens. I watched him frustrate Grevis all day by setting great screens up top, and Vazquez would face-plant into Z's chest. If Z can be mobile around the key, it really opens up the offense. That will play in any game, against any size of opponent.

Zoubek even did something that I didn't think he had the ability to do...he dunked. Amazing game.

I think it is safe to say that Zoubs made his case to be the starting center from here on out. Maybe it'll be good for Miles to come off the bench! Ya never know. Great job Brian! Heck of a game.

NBA

IIRC Marty Nessley got drafted and played half a season in the NBA.

Granted, that was then, and this is now, but Brian is, IMO, a vastly more talented player. I am confident he'll find a spot on an NBA roster for at least a season.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    IIRC Marty Nessley got drafted and played half a season in the NBA.

Granted, that was then, and this is now, but Brian is, IMO, a vastly more talented player. I am confident he'll find a spot on an NBA roster for at least a season.
    Every time the refs blew the whistle on Marty the Crazies chanted, "Marty doesn't foul." Just a few times a game, that is.

It seems to me that Z has stopped trying to be everyone's conception of what a 7'1" guy should be, and instead is trying to do what he is capable of doing. His skills are limited (not a slap), but when he plays within himself he can be extremely effective. He no longer is trying to dribble to the hoop, he has stopped bringing the ball down, and has focused on rebounding, setting screens, etc. And all of those things are within his skill set.

This was a very satisfying game. Let's hope we see more. Congratulations Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Every time the refs blew the whistle on Marty the Crazies chanted, "Marty doesn't foul." Just a few times a game, that is.

Five times.

Each game.

I know - I was there for some of that! (2 year overlap with Marty, and lived next to him his sr. year).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    It seems to me that Z has stopped trying to be everyone's conception of what a 7'1" guy should be, and instead is trying to do what he is capable of doing. His skills are limited (not a slap), but when he plays within himself he can be extremely effective. He no longer is trying to dribble to the hoop, he has stopped bringing the ball down, and has focused on rebounding, setting screens, etc. And all of those things are within his skill set.

This was a very satisfying game. Let's hope we see more. Congratulations Brian.
    Agreed...he has worked on his weaknesses, and improved on his strengths. And he doesn't do what he can't do. (Which now no longer includes dunking )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Refereeing

The last two games, Zoubs for the most part hasn't gotten called for phantom fouls. (There was one play against UNC where he came around the UNC post player clean, knocked the ball away, and got called.)

In both games, it also seemed to me that the refs have been less likely to call fouls on big men playing defense near the basket.

I'm hoping this is a trend and that we'll see more refs letting post players try to block shots. I'm also hoping Zoubs has finally shed his Shavlik Randolph disease.

Zoubs NBA?

What a great game by him, seems like he was in the right spot at the right time. He did seem a little tired, ie bending over holding his shorts.However, not sure if scouts would be impressed with him but I do remember my coach telling me, you can't teach height....

What was great were the Crazies (and the rest of us) giving Brian props with "Brian Zoubek" chants. He played great today.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by banneheim View Post
    What a great game by him, seems like he was in the right spot at the right time. He did seem a little tired, ie bending over holding his shorts.However, not sure if scouts would be impressed with him but I do remember my coach telling me, you can't teach height....
    Zoubek was laughing with Bob Harris about how he was obviously exhausted at the end of the game. He isn't used to those minutes...but he is young and 15 valuable minutes (less than the 22 he played today) is worth alot of money to any team in the NBA.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Brian Zoubek was a BEAST!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I've been a big critic of Zoubek in the past. My opinion of him as a player hasn't changed too much. HOWEVER! He does make the best of what he has (especially given his physical ailments). What a game by Big Zoubs. He deserves a lot of accolades for what he did in this game. Let's hope for a couple more of these dub-dubs in March, eh?

not complex, just well executed.

watched the game at a bar with a friend.

on the offensive end, every time Z went through the same routine:
    screen off the ball
    screen on the ball
    flash to the ball
    go for the rebound

simple. yet well executed.

Smile Lets Extrapolate

Question: If Zoubs played 33 minutes today, would he have gotten 24 points and 25 rebounds? I'd love to see it.

sagegrouse

I think he derives this strength from his beard.

When the crowd was making the "Z" sign with thier hands as Zoubek came out of the game I said to my son, "If coach K gives hm the Z as he comes off the court this place will explode". Alas, he didn't, but I really wish he had. It would mave been a memorable moment.