Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yes, well, good for you boys.

In other news, USA USA USA USA, another good victory for men's hockey over one heck of a banging, penalty gathering Swiss team.
    Swizz Goalie Hiller broke my Red Wing heart last year so it was pleasant to see him get dinged.
    Holy smokes, that Can-Russia game might be incendiary!
    Great victory today for the US hockey team. Canada looks they may have righted the ship with back-to-back blowouts. In particular, the 7-3 win over the Russians tonight was really impressive. A US-Canada rematch in the final would be really fun.

I want that rematch, too. And maybe it's counterintuitive, but I think this is shaping up perfectly for the U.S., assuming they want to play Canada again for all the marbles. I'd rather the Canucks come in off a couple blowouts than grinding their way along. Let their confidence get back up to complacency levels before a rematch in the gold medal game. No offense to Slovakia, but Canada should blitz them, too. They looked excellent tonight, but Russia's defense was also demonstrably pitiful. There was no rotating when defensemen stepped in on offense, and no forecheck to speak of. The Russians also, for being so vaunted a skills team, made it look remarkably hard to get the puck over Canada's blue line without turning it over. The U.S., should it beat Finland (who didn't impress me much tonight but will probably keep it a low-scoring affair, so they certainly could beat us), will not just roll over like that. And we've got Miller. I can envision a game where the Canadians come in sky high in confidence, but halfway through the first period they find that banging in the corners isn't as productive as it's been the last couple games, the turnovers and odd man rushes aren't coming in waves anymore, and they're facing a top notch goalie again. Perhaps they get frustrated and make a mistake, or take their foot off the pedal and get conservative long enough for us to make it a tight game. The longer it's close, the better it is for the U.S.

Didn't see Sweden-Slovakia. Anyone have a report? I'm certainly surprised by the outcome. Slovakia's got Gaborik and a couple others, but really not much depth.

Dear IOC/USOC:

Get over yourselves. I swear to god if I see another non-story about a young adult acting like a young adult after reaching the pinnacle of his/her sport as if it were a crime (other than maybe a harmless minor in consumption, Marie-Philip Poulin), I'm going to scream.

None of the Lago, Jon Montgomery, Canada Women's hockey stories are news. Unfortunately, TMZ realizes people are generally stupid and hyperbolic (i.e. website hits), and the IOC has a stick up its backside when not otherwise taking bribes and prostitutes from various national olympic committees who are trying to bring the games to their country.

NBC's Coverage

In my opinion the decision makers behind NBC's Olympic coverage should be banned from anything to do with television for life.

They have great ratings because they have a great event. NBC has done its best to ruin it for me.

Why would anyone tape delay a major live West Coast event for the West Coast? I can appreciate something like aerials anytime, thats fine. However I would have enjoyed the top women's figure skaters live at from 9 to 9:30 or so rather than taping it at midnight so I can watch it the next day knowing who won.

The Mary Cirillo pieces are a complete waste of precious time. Since they have so many commercials (which I understand) they don't have that much time left and to take it up with these pieces is just beyond stupid. I heard Arrogant Al Michaels (on a radio show) defend these pieces by saying whats wrong with learning about another part of the world and if you don't like it, turn the dial. What arrogance!!!! If I want to learn about Canada from TV I can find plenty of shows on National Geographic, Discovery, and other channels. I want to watch the Olympics, not loggers.

If the US makes the hockey finals, I certainly hope the "braintrust" at NBC will show the finals live on the West Coast.

I know this repeats some of my previous thoughts but I am just livid today.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    If the US makes the hockey finals, I certainly hope the "braintrust" at NBC will show the finals live on the West Coast.

I know this repeats some of my previous thoughts but I am just livid today.

SoCal
    You better start the letter writing campaign now, I'm not sure I would trust NBC to make that decision on their own. Seriously, send them an email and tell friends to do the same. Maybe some of us east coasters on DBR could write in on your behalf even.

The Mary Cirillo pieces are a complete waste of precious time. Since they have so many commercials (which I understand) they don't have that much time left and to take it up with these pieces is just beyond stupid. I heard Arrogant Al Michaels (on a radio show) defend these pieces by saying whats wrong with learning about another part of the world and if you don't like it, turn the dial. What arrogance!!!!
    What's worse is that they trump up Vancouver as if it's some far-flung locale with customs we would find bewildering. Geez, it's pretty much Seattle.

I wouldn't worry about the hockey final - the IOC/NBC braintrust is at least intelligent enough to schedule it on the final day when there's literally no other events remaining. I'm sure it will be on live in California, as there's nothing else to show.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Get over yourselves. I swear to god if I see another non-story about a young adult acting like a young adult after reaching the pinnacle of his/her sport as if it were a crime (other than maybe a harmless minor in consumption, Marie-Philip Poulin), I'm going to scream.

None of the Lago, Jon Montgomery, Canada Women's hockey stories are news. Unfortunately, TMZ realizes people are generally stupid and hyperbolic (i.e. website hits), and the IOC has a stick up its backside when not otherwise taking bribes and prostitutes from various national olympic committees who are trying to bring the games to their country.
    A tempest in a teapot - OTOH in most sports that celebration takes place in the locker room, not back on the field of play (though the cameras go into the locker room to film it).

The men's hockey gold medal game is 3:15pm ET on Sunday. All signs point towards a US vs Canada rematch. How could they not show that live all over the US???

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the hockey final - the IOC/NBC braintrust is at least intelligent enough to schedule it on the final day when there's literally no other events remaining. I'm sure it will be on live in California, as there's nothing else to show.
    The hockey final will be on live on all coasts (3pm Eastern, Noon Pacific). And, it looks like the U.S. will be in it, thanks to 6 goals (SIX!) in the first 10 minutes of this semifinal against Finland. We bounced Finland's starting goalie, Mikka Kiprusoff, with scoring 4 goals in our first 7 shots, only to have their backup, Nick Backstrom, come in and get scored on twice in 15 seconds. Killin' it!!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    What's worse is that they trump up Vancouver as if it's some far-flung locale with customs we would find bewildering. Geez, it's pretty much Seattle.
    Seattle is a far-flung locale with customs I find bewildering. It's pretty much Vancouver.

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    The hockey final will be on live on all coasts (3pm Eastern, Noon Pacific). And, it looks like the U.S. will be in it, thanks to 6 goals (SIX!) in the first 10 minutes of this semifinal against Finland. We bounced Finland's starting goalie, Mikka Kiprusoff, with scoring 4 goals in our first 7 shots, only to have their backup, Nick Backstrom, come in and get scored on twice in 15 seconds. Killin' it!!
    Here is what NBC's website has for noon Sunday Pacific Time.
    ALERT ME
    NBC Los Angeles
    12:00p - 3:00p
    Men's Cross Country
    On Day 17 of the Vancouver Olympics, the final gold medals are awarded. Watch live coverage of men's Cross Country.
    Medal Event

And for 3 pm

NBC Los Angeles
    3:00p - 6:00p
    Men's Hockey
    The final puck of the Winter Olympics drops in Vancouver as gold medal Hockey takes center ice.
    Medal Event

Which would be delayed.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listin...=17/index.html

SoCal

This USA team is going to make it hard for me to pull against any of them when the NHL starts up again. I'm falling in love with Miller and Thomas and even with Patrick Kane (Blackhawks?!) That's quite an admission from a Red Wings fan

Here is what NBC's website has for noon Sunday Pacific Time.
    ALERT ME
    NBC Los Angeles
    12:00p - 3:00p
    Men's Cross Country
    On Day 17 of the Vancouver Olympics, the final gold medals are awarded. Watch live coverage of men's Cross Country.
    Medal Event

And for 3 pm

NBC Los Angeles
    3:00p - 6:00p
    Men's Hockey
    The final puck of the Winter Olympics drops in Vancouver as gold medal Hockey takes center ice.
    Medal Event

Which would be delayed.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listin...=17/index.html

SoCal
    That's weird. During the semifinal today, they repeated multiple times that the final would be broadcast live on all coasts as part of 6 hours of coverage that day. However, it's not the first time that NBC has said something on the air but on the website it's been something different. They've had times of events all mixed up the entire two weeks.

2003-2004 HLM

Hooray

NBC Los Angeles just said that the hockey game will be shown live on Sunday.

If its US/Canada its expected to be the toughest ticket in Canadian history.

SoCal

Any thoughts on Apolo Ono's DQ? He apparently came out and said that he thought the fact that the ref was Canadian was a factor in the call. Can't say I disagree, and good for him for saying it.

On the positive side, I was real glad to see Canada win today, I can't wait to take them on on Sunday! *Starts USA chant*

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Any thoughts on Apolo Ono's DQ? He apparently came out and said that he thought the fact that the ref was Canadian was a factor in the call. Can't say I disagree, and good for him for saying it.

On the positive side, I was real glad to see Canada win today, I can't wait to take them on on Sunday! *Starts USA chant*
    I didn't think that Ohno pushed the Canadian...although he did have his hand on him, his hand came off about a second before the Canadian fell. Even the announcers thought that he fell on his own. Good for him for saying what he said, definitely deserved the medal in that one.

I think I dislike Canada Hockey only because of Sidney Crosby. The Red Wing fan in me (also living in DC) hates Crosby so much that it trumps any like I have for the rest of the team. And Canada is coached by a Wing (Babcock) and run by a Wing (Stevie Y)...love both these guys, but I cannot have Crosby winning anything. I still think back to SLC '02 when the Canadians beat us on home ice, and I'd LOVE for us to do the same on Sunday. If you planned on doing anything in Canada Sunday afternoon, too bad...the entire nation will be shut down.

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I didn't think that Ohno pushed the Canadian...although he did have his hand on him, his hand came off about a second before the Canadian fell. Even the announcers thought that he fell on his own. Good for him for saying what he said, definitely deserved the medal in that one.

I think I dislike Canada Hockey only because of Sidney Crosby. The Red Wing fan in me (also living in DC) hates Crosby so much that it trumps any like I have for the rest of the team. And Canada is coached by a Wing (Babcock) and run by a Wing (Stevie Y)...love both these guys, but I cannot have Crosby winning anything. I still think back to SLC '02 when the Canadians beat us on home ice, and I'd LOVE for us to do the same on Sunday. If you planned on doing anything in Canada Sunday afternoon, too bad...the entire nation will be shut down.
    I find it highly amusing that a lot of people in the US are mostly excited about this matchup not because they love hockey, but because they know Canada loves hockey and would love to see them lose because of how crushed they would be.

I find it highly amusing that a lot of people in the US are mostly excited about this matchup not because they love hockey, but because they know Canada loves hockey and would love to see them lose because of how crushed they would be.
    You got me twisted...I LOVE hockey and love Olympic hockey. Growing up in Michigan, I went to Canada more times than I can remember (I was just there last weekend) and truly adore the place. That said, this is country vs. country and I'm an American! I'm excited about this matchup because it's the best matchup the Olympics could possibly hope for: the two biggest rivals in the sport. Sure, other factors enter the equation, like Crosby being something I can't mention with the profanity filter, the fact that hockey=religion for Canada, the fact that we have the youngest team in the Olympics and us even being in the gold medal game was considered out of the equation from the start, etc. But first and foremost, it's the two premier nations in the sport playing for national pride and it's the best hockey rivalry in the world. You gotta love that.

2003-2004 HLM

I find it highly amusing
    Glad to see you are enjoying yourself.

I've got blazin's back; he rocks the Red Wing hard and I strongly second his Crosby loathing.

Today's WaPo highlighted the irritation on the part of the sapsuckers at yesterday's Finland match when they didn't get the chance to boo the USA.
    Yes, they're quite the model of pious good sportsmanship, aren't they?

And blazin'? How'd you like Hossa's ongoing imitation of a potted plant?