Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    Agreed. I am completely disappointed that they are tape delaying. Seems on the weekends at the very least, they should be showing the action live instead of holding out until 11pm to show us the good stuff. Very annoying and really takes all the fun out of the event.
    Sucks even harder when you're on the West Coast, and delayed another 3 hours beyond the East Coast broadcast.

NBC coverage just blows anyways - I watch only on Tivo delay, so I can ff through all the schmaltz and individual hype.

I'm also mad at the CBC for not being the Canadian broadcasters for the Olympics this year - I watched the 2006 and 2008 games nearly exclusively with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Nonetheless, I still get the impression Americans think Bill Johnson was one of the all-time great downhillers based on his winning one race in Calgary.

Johnson won in Sarajevo, not Calgary.

What about the proliferation of people not competing for their actual countries? Watching today alone, we saw a French gold medal winner who was born in Missoula, MT, an Australian silver medalist who was Canadian but apparently so ticked off at the ski federation that he defected at age 15, and then a Russian pairs figure skater who gave up her Japanese citizenship in 2009 in order to get a better partner to be able to compete in the Olympics.

Is this a new phenomenon? Do most people think it is legit? Is there something inherently un-Olympian about it?

Pairs figure skating is OK, but it's kind of always the same but for the selection of the music, and it always makes me antsy that I have to wait till week two for Ice Dance. (The order always goes Pairs, Men, Dance, Women).

Fortunately there's Youtube.

Outside of Torvill/Dean and Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Tanith Belbin's otherwordly hawtness aside, I think my favorite routine in recent Olympics was Grishuk and Platov's Olympic Gold- and World Championship-winning routine in 1998:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01NrtgB9Fc

Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992 long program (JSB - Air from the Suite in d Minor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnvBMefCngc

And of course there's always T/D Bolero in 1984. It no longer looks as revolutionary as it was then, but it's still amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXTBiKwmgc...feature=related

It amazes my Winter Olympics working memory goes back that far.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    What about the proliferation of people not competing for their actual countries? Watching today alone, we saw a French gold medal winner who was born in Missoula, MT, an Australian silver medalist who was Canadian but apparently so ticked off at the ski federation that he defected at age 15, and then a Russian pairs figure skater who gave up her Japanese citizenship in 2009 in order to get a better partner to be able to compete in the Olympics.

Is this a new phenomenon? Do most people think it is legit? Is there something inherently un-Olympian about it?
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...00.html?hpt=T2

This is the story of the man that at age 51 skis for Mexico despite being a German prince.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Outside of Torvill/Dean and Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Tanith Belbin's otherwordly hawtness aside,
    The bible on figure skater hawtess was written by Kati Witt. What on earth were you watching in 1984/88 instead? Debi Thomas falling?

The "free agent" phenomenon in the Winter games has been prevalent at least since Lillehammer ('94) in alpine and Nordic sports. That was the first Olympics when pretty much everyone was professional and nobody was Communist.

Musically speaking, Firebird & Carmen should be permanently banned from figure skating.

Sue's right.

Witt always looked mannish to me, like Brooke Shields or Kelly McGillis. No offense to you or her. Even in Playboy...well that look was in back then.

I'll telly you who was my first skater crush. When I was 7 Rossalyn Sumners won silver in Sarajevo and got the only 6. (Italian judge IIRC). Witt won gold, but no 6s.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I'm going to throw Swan Lake in there as another that should be banned.

My favorite Olympic skating moment was the Battle of the Brians. Brian Boitano could never do any skating wrong in my eyes after that. The Food Network show he had was another story.

Don't know if it's just me, but the moguls seemed a heck of alot more fun to watch this year than I remember from previous olympics.

On a completely different olympic subject...how hard must it be to go straight from busting your butt on a cross country ski race to dropping and shooting a target? Your heart and lungs are chugging and you have to steady your aim...and the penalty for a missed shot is brutal. Kudos to the biatholon guys...that's a challenge!

Send in the Clowns should also be banned.

I can just imagine little 8-year old throatybeard (throatypeachfuzz?) running around his living room grooving to Toville and Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeusul View Post

i can just imagine little 8-year old throatybeard (throatypeachfuzz?) running around his living room grooving to toville and dean.
    ROFLMAO! Too funny.

I'm going to have to start avoiding the Internet during the day at work. One of the events I was looking forward to the coverage of tonight was apparently actually held during the day today, and when I signed on to check email about 5pm today, there was the result I didn't want to see (and didn't even know had already occurred) in big and bold and practically unavoidable print all over the front page at msn.com.

Sigh. So much for surprises!

Men's Downhill

The premiere alpine skiing event and NBC only shows 30 minutes of coverage (and it was a medal round!). How is this possible? They showed 8 or 9 skiiers (and only 2 Americans).

Quote Originally Posted by northernduke View Post
    The premiere alpine skiing event and NBC only shows 30 minutes of coverage (and it was a medal round!). How is this possible? They showed 8 or 9 skiiers (and only 2 Americans).
    Well, they had to make time for the story about the polar bear capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Well, they had to make time for the story about the polar bear capital of the world.
    I had to laugh because at the beginning of that segment the reporter mentioned how 90% of the people who live in Canada live between their border and ours. Say what?!

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    And then we come to find out 20 minutes later it was the closest race every in the Olympics from first to third. I know it's tape delayed and the announcers in the booth can't know that off the top of their head, but at least end the alpine event with that fact/story. It's not like Colinsworth discovered that during the polar bear and snowboard segments.

In my opinion there are too many of these segments and not enough sports coverage. No wonder ratings are expected to be down, we tune in to watch sports, I can see videos of polar bears anytime I want.

Sheherezad (sp?) should also be banned. We should give awards for the most overused music for figure skating.

And yes, I'd agree that last night's moguls were insane. I can't say I'm a connoisseur of moguls skiing, but wow. My knees hurt just watching.