Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Games

To Be Fair

I enjoyed last nights coverage on NBC.

I had go to be bed at 10:30 as I had an early appointment. What I saw was good. I understand the commercials. I understand tape delaying big afternoon events until the prime time. What I don't understand is delaying big nighttime events on the West Coast and the segments when NBC is trying to teach us about the world.

SoCal

I don't get MSNBC putting the results at the top of their page. If you have that set as your home page, you see results before they air them that night. Couldn't they reference the results being at the bottom of their page for those that might want to be surprised? It isn't as much fun to watch if you know the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I don't get MSNBC putting the results at the top of their page. If you have that set as your home page, you see results before they air them that night. Couldn't they reference the results being at the bottom of their page for those that might want to be surprised? It isn't as much fun to watch if you know the outcome.
    Dude, here's your spoiler alert: endless commercials, punctuated by Chris Collinsworth pretending to be an expert on some winter sport.

Usa! Usa!

Take that putin.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Usa! Usa!

Take that putin.
    An American (Evan Lysacek) won men's figure skating for the 1st time since Brian Boitano in '84! I don't like figure skating, but...U-S-A! U-S-A!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    An American (Evan Lysacek) won men's figure skating for the 1st time since Brian Boitano in '84! I don't like figure skating, but...U-S-A! U-S-A!
    '88

Yeah, part of me wants to like the Russian guy (Plushenko), but I'm really glad he got his come-uppance last night. After running his mouth before last night's free skate, his post-event interview was ungracious at best. He repeatedly pointed out that he had been away from skating for 3 1/2 years (whose choice was that, Plushenko?), kept rambling about how the scoring was "different" now, and said he didn't think Lysacek should have been able to win without doing a quad jump.

Sheesh. So much for being mature and acknowledging that someone skated better than you. Good riddance, dude. Don't let the door hit you in the popa.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    '88
    Yes, thanks. Shows how much I watch figure skating. The NBC announcer actually said '84 last night, which is where I got that from.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Yeah, part of me wants to like the Russian guy (Plushenko), but I'm really glad he got his come-uppance last night. After running his mouth before last night's free skate, his post-event interview was ungracious at best. He repeatedly pointed out that he had been away from skating for 3 1/2 years (whose choice was that, Plushenko?), kept rambling about how the scoring was "different" now, and said he didn't think Lysacek should have been able to win without doing a quad jump.

Sheesh. So much for being mature and acknowledging that someone skated better than you. Good riddance, dude. Don't let the door hit you in the popa.
    Yea, he was rambling about how Lysacek shouldn't have won without doing a quad jump. This is the same sport where in '06, a pair had a ridiculous fall on a throw jump, stopped the music when the girl was hurt by the fall (apparently, it's an automatic deduction for stopping the music), she was down on the ice for about 5 minutes (you're only supposed to get 3 before you get disqualified), and they restarted the music, did their routine and got SILVER. Meanwhile, the Americans had one slight bobble in an otherwise flawless routine and weren't on the medal stand. That's why people like me cannot stand figure skating.

2003-2004 HLM

Also, for those of you who burned the midnight, 1am and 2am oil here on the East Coast, did you see the Russia-Slovakia hockey game? Excellent game! Russia lost in the shootout on the 8th shot, but a big upset by Slovakia. Russia will need to beat the Czechs to ensure that they get a bye into the quarterfinals, otherwise they will have to play an extra game to make the quarters.

2003-2004 HLM

Yes, thanks. Shows how much I watch figure skating. The NBC announcer actually said '84 last night, which is where I got that from.

Yea, he was rambling about how Lysacek shouldn't have won without doing a quad jump. This is the same sport where in '06, a pair had a ridiculous fall on a throw jump, stopped the music when the girl was hurt by the fall (apparently, it's an automatic deduction for stopping the music), she was down on the ice for about 5 minutes (you're only supposed to get 3 before you get disqualified), and they restarted the music, did their routine and got SILVER. Meanwhile, the Americans had one slight bobble in an otherwise flawless routine and weren't on the medal stand. That's why people like me cannot stand figure skating.
    I think it was Lysacek's mother who said - You shouldn't win the gold just because you did the quad.

Not to be overly nitpicky, but they said that he was the first American male to win Olympic gold the year after winning the world championships
    since 1984. Boitano came in second in the world championships in '87 previous to his Olympic gold in '88 (although won the world championships later that year). Not sure why they added that extra criteria, but they did...I guess to make it sound like it's been longer. Not having a male figure skater win since '88 doesn't sound like that long to me. It's only been five competitions that another country besides the US got gold. We've won gold in the 3 out of the last 8 olympics - certainly, not that long of a drought.

By the way, I do think that the person who lands that quad well and has a good overall performance should win Gold. Unfortunately for Plushenko, while he landed his quad, the rest of his performance was riddled with mistakes on landings (although no major falls). Despite all these mishaps he still almost won. On the other hand, Lysacek's performance was nearly flawless. Yeah, he didn't attempt a quad, but only one guy did, and the rest of his performance was sub-par. The right person won, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Not sure why they added that extra criteria, but they did
    IIRC, they discussed it because (a) every American man who has entered the Olympics as world champion has gone on to win the gold, and (b) no man who has entered the Olympics as world champion has won the gold since Scott Hamilton did it back in 1984.

Of course, it probably didn't hurt that Scott Hamilton was calling the broadcast, not Brian Boitano. They mentioned Bointano too, just not as often.

In other news...curling got off the snide!!!!!! Both the men and women won today...hopefully the tide has turned for them!

2003-2004 HLM

Bode!!!

Usa! Usa!

Holy !#^!^&!&! we beat Canada in Hockey.

Imagine if the US National Team played Canada in a basketball game in Los Angeles and we lost. This isn't quite like that, but it is darn close.

Of course, I am not sure that this game mattered all that much. Sure, it gives the US a bye into the quarters while Canada will have to play a pretty mediocre Germany to get there. Odds are pretty good we will have to face them again at some point in order to win Gold. I fear we may have woken a sleeping giant.

Still, Canda is feeling pretty frustrated and angry right about now.

--Jason "anyone catch the Canadian skier Del Bosco who was on his way to a bronze in Ski Cross before an epic wipe on the last hill?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Imagine if the US National Team played Canada in a basketball game in Los Angeles and we lost. This isn't quite like that, but it is darn close.

Of course, I am not sure that this game mattered all that much. Sure, it gives the US a bye into the quarters while Canada will have to play a pretty mediocre Germany to get there.
    Yeah, but when Canada gets there they'll have to face Russia in a quarterfinal match. Having both of those teams on the other side of the bracket strikes me as a fairly significant development.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

It isn't like that at all. Basketball was invented by a Canadian.

And yes, I get your meaning. Baseball or football would make a better analogy, but each is still imperfect. I'm looking for something more exact.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It isn't like that at all. Basketball was invented by a Canadian.

And yes, I get your meaning. Baseball or football would make a better analogy, but each is still imperfect. I'm looking for something more exact.
    I'm pretty sure no analogy will fit based simply on the fact that the US as a whole doesn't care about any sport as much as Canada cares about hockey. Did people really care when the US started losing at basketball? I'm sure some of us did but... this gold medal means a ton to Canada and losing to the US is a big ol' slap in the face.

And that game was *huge* for the US medal hopes. If you look at the bracket setup now you basically couldn't have picked a better setup for the US. The 3 best non-US teams are all in the other end. The US could win silver without beating any of them and gold while just beating 1 of them. Canada could have to go through Russia, Sweden and then the US to win gold. Not that the US doesn't have competition but... it's a much more favorable draw.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    And that game was *huge* for the US medal hopes. If you look at the bracket setup now you basically couldn't have picked a better setup for the US. The 3 best non-US teams are all in the other end. The US could win silver without beating any of them and gold while just beating 1 of them. Canada could have to go through Russia, Sweden and then the US to win gold. Not that the US doesn't have competition but... it's a much more favorable draw.
    That's the biggest part. We only have to face one of the Big 3, and we won't have to see them until the gold medal game. We have some tough competition on our side in either the Czechs or the Finns, but it certainly is the best bracket we could have!

Oh, and I'm wearing my Eruzione Miracle on Ice jersey in honor as I make the snowy trek to E. Lansing!

2003-2004 HLM