Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Olympic Games

I'm pumped for the Vancouver games to start tonight!! Is anyone else?

What are you going to watch? I love downhill skiing, xc skiing, curling, hockey and speedskating. And I'm looking forward to Mr. Colbert's broadcasts from BC.

GO CANADA!!!

----------------------

"all that baby blue in the building, I don't really like that color" - Nolan Smith, on winning in the Dean Dome

Quote Originally Posted by 05dukie View Post
    I'm pumped for the Vancouver games to start tonight!! Is anyone else?

What are you going to watch? I love downhill skiing, xc skiing, curling, hockey and speedskating. And I'm looking forward to Mr. Colbert's broadcasts from BC.

GO USA!!!
    Fixed your post. Much better.

I'm, of course, looking forward to hockey. Also, curling...LOVE me some curling, and there's probably no sport in the Winter Olympics I anticipate more.

Also looking forward to snowboarding, downhill skiing, bobsled, speedskating and ski jump.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Speaking of the Winter Games, why is the press giving Lindsay Vonn such a hard time? It's not her fault she (likely) broke her shin. But all I'm seeing are stories about how she is making bank without having to do anything. Yeah. I be that was her plan. Geez..

I get into the Summer Olympics way more than Winter but I'll probably watch hockey and speedskating.

I found a pretty cool feature on NBC's Olympic website if you're forgetful like me and don't have some sort of DVR. http://www.nbcolympics.com/event-res...les/index.html Click on the sport and then it shows every event for that sport with a notify me feature. You can enter an e-mail address or phone number and get an e-mail/text when that event is getting ready to start.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Speaking of the Winter Games, why is the press giving Lindsay Vonn such a hard time? It's not her fault she (likely) broke her shin. But all I'm seeing are stories about how she is making bank without having to do anything. Yeah. I be that was her plan. Geez..
    I totally agree. I heard her give the announcement and she sounded really, really down about not being able to compete.

Memories are short, aren't they? It's like no one's aware anymore that Vonn was hospitalized after a horrendous crash in a training run for the '06 Olympics, then portrayed as a genuine hero for actually racing a week later.

Mostly this is because the sports press feels cheated out of the opportunity to recycle all their Michael Phelps stories and just change the names. Also, they have no idea how to explain to people that she's the best American female skier ever if they can't point to Olympic gold medals. I love how the U.S. press thinks Olympic skiing results are more important than the World Cup season. The success ratio in terms of wins/podiums from the top skiers is much lower than almost any other sport - looking at one race in the middle of the season is a horrible way to determine who's best. Nonetheless, I still get the impression Americans think Bill Johnson was one of the all-time great downhillers based on his winning one race in Calgary.

Also, she's paying for the sins of Bode Miller, whom they'll never forgive for not winning 4 gold medals in 2006, and not crying about it afterward.

cbc

When I lived in michigan I loved watching CBC cover the olympics. Not as much production value, but they actually cover the GAMES!!! Plus, it is a little more neutral in their pro US coverage...since they are the Canadian broadcast channel. NBC is for all of the non-sports fans to watch the olympics

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    When I lived in michigan I loved watching CBC cover the olympics. Not as much production value, but they actually cover the GAMES!!! Plus, it is a little more neutral in their pro US coverage...since they are the Canadian broadcast channel. NBC is for all of the non-sports fans to watch the olympics
    The cable teevee on the Duke campus when I was there got CBC! So we got its olympic feed as well as Hockey Night in Canada (with Don Cherry even). I agree, much less focuced on any single nation and MUCH more live coverage, with fewer commercials.

I've watched some European coverage over several Games and it's much better too. This is even the case in Germany, which would have plenty of excuses to trump up its own athletes (they are certainly proud of German athletes, but not to the exclusion of others as in the US). Almost no commercials either but their teevee is subsidized.

I always liked the CBC WAY more than any American network until the Beijing Olympics. You may recall that it took Canada quite a while to get their first medal at those games and the CBC seemed to turn on their own team...calling them out and talking about their failures. It was weird and it bothered me. Still much much much more balanced than American networks though. I wish I was going home for the games...le sigh

Well, this will dampen the spirit of tonight's Opening Ceremonies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/w...ory?id=4909034

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Well, this will dampen the spirit of tonight's Opening Ceremonies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/w...ory?id=4909034
    Really, really, REALLY sad news. I pray for that man's family and teammates. They've been talking about the Whistler track for years...it's unlike any track in the history of luge, skeleton or bobsled. It's nearly straight down for 150 meters and people are routinely exceeding 90mph in speed. To put it plainly, it's far and away the most dangerous track ever. It's extremely sad that this has happened just hours before the Opening Ceremonies, where walking into the stadium should be one of the greatest moments in these athletes' careers.

P.S. Deadspin has a video clip showing the accident (I won't post it here out of respect). Not for the faint of heart.

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Really, really, REALLY sad news. I pray for that man's family and teammates. They've been talking about the Whistler track for years...it's unlike any track in the history of luge, skeleton or bobsled. It's nearly straight down for 150 meters and people are routinely exceeding 90mph in speed. To put it plainly, it's far and away the most dangerous track ever. It's extremely sad that this has happened just hours before the Opening Ceremonies, where walking into the stadium should be one of the greatest moments in these athletes' careers.

P.S. Deadspin has a video clip showing the accident (I won't post it here out of respect). Not for the faint of heart.
    Wow. You'd think they'd pad those steel columns. That's awful. What is scarier is I think there would be spectators there too during the actual races such that he would have been a missile flying at people.

Wow. You'd think they'd pad those steel columns. That's awful. What is scarier is I think there would be spectators there too during the actual races such that he would have been a missile flying at people.
    I found a video on youtube, but I think anything that gets put up there is removed quickly.

Why the hell are those colums there in the first place? What are they holding up? Not part of the track wall. Not spectator stands. Not a teevee camera. Those columns are on the direct trajectory of someone losing control out of that curve. Doing 90 mph. He didn't have to die.

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    I definitely loved watching CBC for Olympic coverage when I was growing up in MI. I even watched CBC during the Stanley Cup playoff. And I agree with the other poster who said that just because I want the U.S. to win everything doesn't mean I won't root for other athletes from other countries. As a Wings fan, I want all of the Wings players, regardless of country to do well. Stevie Y is the GM of Team Canada, so while I want him and the other Wings players to do well, I'm pulling for my country to win.

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Nonetheless, I still get the impression Americans think Bill Johnson was one of the all-time great downhillers based on his winning one race in Calgary.

Johnson won in Sarajevo, not Calgary.

What about the proliferation of people not competing for their actual countries? Watching today alone, we saw a French gold medal winner who was born in Missoula, MT, an Australian silver medalist who was Canadian but apparently so ticked off at the ski federation that he defected at age 15, and then a Russian pairs figure skater who gave up her Japanese citizenship in 2009 in order to get a better partner to be able to compete in the Olympics.

Is this a new phenomenon? Do most people think it is legit? Is there something inherently un-Olympian about it?

Pairs figure skating is OK, but it's kind of always the same but for the selection of the music, and it always makes me antsy that I have to wait till week two for Ice Dance. (The order always goes Pairs, Men, Dance, Women).

Fortunately there's Youtube.

Outside of Torvill/Dean and Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Tanith Belbin's otherwordly hawtness aside, I think my favorite routine in recent Olympics was Grishuk and Platov's Olympic Gold- and World Championship-winning routine in 1998:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01NrtgB9Fc

Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992 long program (JSB - Air from the Suite in d Minor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnvBMefCngc

And of course there's always T/D Bolero in 1984. It no longer looks as revolutionary as it was then, but it's still amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXTBiKwmgc...feature=related

It amazes my Winter Olympics working memory goes back that far.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Outside of Torvill/Dean and Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Tanith Belbin's otherwordly hawtness aside,
    The bible on figure skater hawtess was written by Kati Witt. What on earth were you watching in 1984/88 instead? Debi Thomas falling?

The "free agent" phenomenon in the Winter games has been prevalent at least since Lillehammer ('94) in alpine and Nordic sports. That was the first Olympics when pretty much everyone was professional and nobody was Communist.

Musically speaking, Firebird & Carmen should be permanently banned from figure skating.

Sue's right.

Witt always looked mannish to me, like Brooke Shields or Kelly McGillis. No offense to you or her. Even in Playboy...well that look was in back then.

I'll telly you who was my first skater crush. When I was 7 Rossalyn Sumners won silver in Sarajevo and got the only 6. (Italian judge IIRC). Witt won gold, but no 6s.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine