What is going on with Miles?

He's been really inconsistent lately, especially on defense. Just in this carolina game alone, he had like 5 bad plays in the first 2 minutes. I saw him lose the ball out of bounds for no reason, not box out ed davis, giving him an offensive rebound for an putback jam, then next carolina possesion, he was just drifting around the top of the key guarding nobody and davis almost got another easy basket. Then after that, he took an ill-advised baseline jump shot that clanged off the rim, followed by a silly foul at the 18:44 mark. Coach K yanked him after that.

Lately, he's been somewhat shuffled out of the lineup, and I'm still waiting for the dominant rebounder and scorer in the wake forest game to make a return. With Thomas out with an injury, it's going to be even more important for Miles to step it up on the boards and on defense and to stop committing stupid reaching fouls.

I am cheering for Miles

I think you're right to point out Miles was off his game tonight. I thought it was telling that his most comfortable offensive move of the night was when his brother threw him a pass and he banked in a short jumper. I wonder to what degree the two of them playing together gives Miles confidence, or if Mason knows when/where to get Miles the ball, or maybe its just a coincidence.

One thing I wish the coaches would work harder on--why do both Plumlees still have the bad habit of reaching in for the ball after the other team grabs a defensive rebound? They have probably done it 10+ times this season and gotten called for it every time. I can think of no times when it resulted in a steal.

I bet

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    One thing I wish the coaches would work harder on--why do both Plumlees still have the bad habit of reaching in for the ball after the other team grabs a defensive rebound? They have probably done it 10+ times this season and gotten called for it every time. I can think of no times when it resulted in a steal.
    I bet the coaches are working pretty darned hard on that.

With Miles, seems like it is all about confidence. Last year, he basically had none. This year, he has spurts. If he gets off to a good start he builds on that if not, a long game. Look at the Wake game. he was a beast, 19 point and 14 boards. Taking him out after a bad play will not build his confidence. Wonder if any one out there has his stats at home where he has his support group and away.

Miles was WAY too geeked at the start.

The shot he took wasn't that bad of a shot, but it was way too early in the possession. The times he lost the ball out of bounds, it looked like the ball was greased.

I get the impression that Miles wants to "make things happen" while he is in there, which unfortunately leads to his bonehead reach in fouls. I applauded the decision to start him, thinking that it would settle him down and stop him from pressing so much. Maybe bringing him off the bench will get the message across - DON'T BE STUPID!

I am certain that Coach K will be using Lance's injury as a motivational tool for Miles. Let's hope for some real progress.

Boards

He had 6 rebounds in 13 minutes, so at least there is one positive that he can take out of this game. With Lance's injury, he has the chance to step up.

Mason had 4 fouls and Zoubek had 3 fouls in 10 minutes, so maybe I should say that he will have to step up.

Emotional Plumlees

It seems to me that both Plumlee's are liable to get "over excited." Frequently, after a great play on the offense, they spurt down the court and make a silly mistake going for the spectacular play on defense.

This feels like a youth error to me and I like to think they will leave it behind as they mature as players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01 View Post
    It seems to me that both Plumlee's are liable to get "over excited." Frequently, after a great play on the offense, they spurt down the court and make a silly mistake going for the spectacular play on defense.

This feels like a youth error to me and I like to think they will leave it behind as they mature as players.
    I think you've got that 180 degrees out of phase. It's usually a bad play on offense - either a turnover or missed dunk - and they both reach in running down the court and get called for a dumb foul. So it can be a 4-point (or 5 point) swing - 2 we didn't get and points for "them". Last night carolina cooperated by missing their shots .
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

mason's habit of reaching over to block his man GETTING the ball after being out-positioned bothers me the most...he's done that a lot..

if the guy gets in a good postion, mason needs to just try to guard him better after he gets the ball....he's been called on it almost every time...

that being said....he OWNS the Mason E. Smith Center

Either way, I think it's the same principle... Whether they are trying to capitalize on a good play and snowball some emotion - or make up for a mistake on the other end...

They are getting overexcited and trying to make the big play rather than keeping their heads and playing smart.

It's maturity, and hopefully it will come along either through the course of this season or in the off-season. They both have too much talent to let their heads ruin their game.

That little 10 footer he knocked down in the first half was nice, it would be great if he could start shooting and knocking those down with regularity.

You've nailed it, Mtn. Devil... their youth is showing. They'll get better as time goes by with maturity & experience.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

I know I've been begging for that catch,turn, square up and shoot it off the glass shot the entire season and I finally saw one last night. I think both miles and mason could score consistently with that shot. They need to perfect it, and their teammates need to get them the ball when they're in the position to use it. That was a big positive for Miles, in my opinion. If he and Mason would use that move more often they might be averaging double figures. It's such a simple but effective "big man" move. Great to see.

I agree that a nice 10-12 foot jumper would be a nice addition. Myself, I've been spoiled, as I grew up watching Laettner nail that shot over and over for four years.

Still, I would rather see that "growing up" to accompany their physical talents.

Not many big men are going to come along with a sweet jumper. At least, not in their college years.

Yes, but

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I applauded the decision to start him, thinking that it would settle him down and stop him from pressing so much. Maybe bringing him off the bench will get the message across - DON'T BE STUPID!
    I'm pretty sure Zoubs started the second half, rather than Miles.

Also

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    mason's habit of reaching over to block his man GETTING the ball after being out-positioned bothers me the most...he's done that a lot..

if the guy gets in a good postion, mason needs to just try to guard him better after he gets the ball....he's been called on it almost every time...

that being said....he OWNS the Mason E. Smith Center
    Anyone notice that with about a minute left, and a 10 point lead, we (Nolan?) miss a free throw, a UNC guy grabs the rebound, and Mason flicks up and knocks the ball away, but it goes out of bounds.

No foul, but what was he thinking? Even if it's a clean play, a lot of refs will call a foul there. If it's a foul, he's fouled out, and given UNC two free throws in the last minute of the game.

Agreed, its plays like those that really take them out of the game. My hope is that with more playing time, they start to relax and realize they don't need to do everything all at once. Even the best players miss shots, get boxed out or miss defensive assignments. Instead of compounding errors, concentrate on the next play and be ready when opportunity comes.

Miles

As bad as I thought Miles played for most of the game, I thought after Lance was injured he played well. Some very strong plays and no silly fouls. But he did play poorly in the first few mins of the game. Lost the ball out of bounds once again and out of place a few times. As for that bank shot, it was a thing of beauty. I remember in another game he hit a jump bank hook down low. Man he has some serious talent. I just wish he would put it together. Maybe with Mason getting more mins they will play together and Miles will get back to his play of the Wake game. Also saw Coach K's comments on coaching like he did in Duke's 1980's days. I took it that he was going to play more of the young guys to get ready for Tournament time. Said the team was now qualified for the tournament with 8 wins in the ACC. Maybe I'm taking his comments the wrong way, but that how I understood the HOF coach. Go Duke!

It's real simple

Miles' problem is that he cannot keep himself from picking up cheap fouls early on. Even if he doesn't end up with 4-5 fouls, few games go by without Miles picking up at least one foul before the first TV timeout. Look it up.

Miles' consistent foul trouble keeps him from getting into any kind of offensive flow early, because he has to sit. For a young player, the first minutes of the game are so crucial; his are usually spent on the bench.

I feel bad for Miles because he wants to do well and limiting fouls is the hardest thing for a big man to learn coming into college. It took Shelden 2-2.5 seasons to learn how to stay out of foul trouble and he never became a great college player until he learned.

And I don't want to start a whole other conversation, but Miles' jitters this year again make me wonder why he didn't get more minutes last season. Mike Krzyzewski forgets more basketball than I'll ever know but there's no reason Miles shouldn't have played a lot last year and we're now witnessing the development that should've taken place last season. Just sayin..