Thread: Down low?

Down low?

So, as i watched the unc duke game, i saw how big and sloppy we looked down low. Dont get me wrong, the Forwards are great on D, and take care of any star forward, but they are no scoring help on offense. In my head, the dream scenario would be The plumlees down low. They are very athletic, strong rebounders, and look for their shot. This is not meant to bash duke, but just to find out, who do you guys think should be the starting players down low?

It's about to be the Plumlee's down low.

Quote Originally Posted by kessler View Post
    So, as i watched the unc duke game, i saw how big and sloppy we looked down low. Dont get me wrong, the Forwards are great on D, and take care of any star forward, but they are no scoring help on offense. In my head, the dream scenario would be The plumlees down low. They are very athletic, strong rebounders, and look for their shot. This is not meant to bash duke, but just to find out, who do you guys think should be the starting players down low?
    I really don't understand what the obsession is over "starting." For example, Miles started last night, but played the 4th-most minutes of any big man. Mason, coming off the bench, played the most. I doubt he cared that he wasn't starting since he played nearly 3/4 of the game.

As to what your question should be, I think that right now*, Miles and Zoubek should be combining for about 30-40 minutes (with Zoubek getting the greater share) and Mason and Lance for about 40-50 minutes (split reasonably easily, since Mason can pick up extra minutes at the 5 to balance out Lance getting more time at the 4).

I think a front-court combination of Mason and Zoubek gives us the best balance, while Lance and Zoubek give us the best defense, and Mason and Miles the best ability to play physical front lines.

*assuming Lance's knee injury doesn't hold him out.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

With LT out, I think the starting lineup should be:

Jon
    Nolan
    Kyle
    Mason
    Z

Miles, Kelly, Andre off the bench

Additionally, we would see a lot of

Jon
    Nolan
    Andre
    Kyle
    Plumlee (I or II)

With lance gone I see mason, zoubek, and dawkins having expanded roles. Mason will probably start playing 25 minutes a game with dawkins getting time at the 3 and singler shifting to the 4. Zoubek hasn't score much the last few games but he has been playing well and is an essential part of the teams success. His size and rebounding skills are really exceptional.

Duke's chances in March (and hopefully April) will be tied to how much offensive production they get from their frontcourt. While Zoubek and Lance are very good players and very important to the success of this team, my first sentence primarily relates to the Plumlee brothers. No matter how much you love Lance and Zoubek, the Plumlee brothers are simply more talented offensive players.

Regardless of whether Lance is out for an extended period of time or not, I think last night's game proved that, in the absence of foul trouble, Mason Plumlee needs to be on the floor for extended minutes. Games like Clemson and Florida State, in which Mason played 8 minutes each amidst no foul trouble, just can't happen as we head down the stretch.

Jay Bilas said it during the Georgia Tech game, and I agree wholeheartedly: Mason Plumlee is Duke's most talented player. Not best, but most talented. He needs to be on the floor. A lot.

People, even Coach K himself, seemingly forget that Krzyzewski tabbed this kid a starter in the preseason before he broke his wrist.

People, even Coach K himself, seemingly forget that Krzyzewski tabbed this kid a starter in the preseason before he broke his wrist.[/QUOTE]

And he also compared him to Laettner!!