Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Stay classy UNC fans

At the game tonight some UNC fans behind me were yelling that they should break Lance's other leg when he was down on the floor. I turned to them and said "real classy guys" which at least shut them up for the rest of the game. Here's wishing the best to Lance for a quick recovery - he definitely looked in a lot of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by FishStick View Post
    At the game tonight some UNC fans behind me were yelling that they should break Lance's other leg when he was down on the floor. I turned to them and said "real classy guys" which at least shut them up for the rest of the game. Here's wishing the best to Lance for a quick recovery - he definitely looked in a lot of pain.

That's why they call it the University of No Class.

First off, incredibly jealous that you got to the game.

2nd, I haven't ever met a UNC fan that is as classless as you say. Im guessing they were students? sad, but have to say that there are fans like this everywhere, even on our side.

I was at Cameron to greet the team after they got back. Coach K said that it's not a torn ACL, but he's out for a few games. The MRI is at 7 AM tomorrow so we'll know more then.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post

2nd, I haven't ever met a UNC fan that is as classless as you say. Im guessing they were students? sad, but have to say that there are fans like this everywhere, even on our side.
    Nope, not students. 50-60 year old men wearing all smurf blue. I've gone to many, many games at the Dean Dome and I can definitely say that I've always been frustrated at the lack of class expressed by a few fans without any other fans voicing disapproval. I'm sure the students are better and at least more informed (although they chanted "rat rat rat" as Coach K left the court). I actually started my life as a UNC fan and changed when I realized how spoiled and ignorant the fans were - every call against UNC was the wrong call, and when UNC was losing they were the quickest to leave rather than stay and support the team; it was clearly more important to escape the crowds (tonight included).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they were caught up in the moment. That being said...the applause was audibly light when Lance was finally helped off the court.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    I was at Cameron to greet the team after they got back. Coach K said that it's not a torn ACL, but he's out for a few games. The MRI is at 7 AM tomorrow so we'll know more then.
    Was there any sense that he could be out for the season?

After all that Lance has been through, I really hope that Lance can get back on the court soon. But as others have posted, he will not stop being the leader he is, whether on or off the court. Who knows... we might have our own "Willis Reed moment"...

On Crutches. No pressure on the leg at all. Best Case scenario at this point seems to be partial tear for 3-4 weeks out. I believe that is the staff's hope right now. It's not just a bruise. Something aint right.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    On Crutches. No pressure on the leg at all. Best Case scenario at this point seems to be partial tear for 3-4 weeks out. I believe that is the staff's hope right now. It's not just a bruise. Something aint right.
    On what are you basing the part about the staff hoping it's just a partial tear of some part f the knee and that it's not a bruise? (FYI, a bad bone bruise can keep someone out a long time and keep someone from being able to put any pressure on the leg.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    On what are you basing the part about the staff hoping it's just a partial tear of some part f the knee and that it's not a bruise? (FYI, a bad bone bruise can keep someone out a long time and keep someone from being able to put any pressure on the leg.)
    I'm with you, I think it's a bone bruise, or maybe just a bad sprain. Granted, I'm no doctor -- though I do play one at parties -- but I feel like a straight-up knee-on-knee collision probably wouldn't tear anything most of the time. It's not like someone fell into him from the side, where you'd be pretty certain it's an ACL tear. I watched a remarkably similar play live when St. Pat's Michael Gilchrist banged knees with someone, and it turned out to be a sprain that cost him a couple weeks. Let's hope that's the worst possible extent of it, and as long as he's back by the ACC's, I'm fine with that. I'm not ruling out something terrible, but it seems unlikely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I would be shocked if he was putting pressure on his leg and/or not on crutches tonight, even with a bruise... I'm still holding out hope. I would also just hate to see Lance's career end like this, just when he's really starting to blossom and become an integral part of the team.

In an attempt to think positive... if it's not a season ender (knock on wood, etc.), I would think Lance could get back into peak form relatively quickly when he returns, since he's such a warrior and doesn't rely on superior athleticism to be effective anyway.

Also, I could see this setback having a silver lining a la 2001 if Lance can heal in a few weeks... our young big guys will have to carry the load for the foreseeable future without the knowledge that 2 experienced seniors can come in and bail them out if they play foolishly... hopefully they will rise to the challenge, and Lance will return by tournament time. We can only hope...

Here is a observation about 3 levels of MCL injuries. None are good, but if its level 1 Lance could be back soon. If its 3 not good for a return unless its about the third week in March and the healing goes well.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/knee.../mclinjury.htm

Ignorant question #2: it seems that knee injuries are the worst kind in sports. Can someone, briefly please (), explain the different types? Bruise, deep bruise, ACL tear, MCL tear, anything esle? I think it would be great for us non-doctors and out-of-the-loop fans to understand the severity of each type of injury. Thanks in advance!!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Ugh...one of the reasons I can't stand the majority of their fan base, and their teams.

However, I will say, on TV, MOST of the Dean Dome applauded when Lance left the court, including when he walked right by the student section.

one thing for sure

he will receive the best medical care available. And Duke's track record on getting players back on the court is pretty darn good, so if there is the potential for intraseason rehab and return, he is at the right place to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Ignorant question #2: it seems that knee injuries are the worst kind in sports. Can someone, briefly please (), explain the different types? Bruise, deep bruise, ACL tear, MCL tear, anything esle? I think it would be great for us non-doctors and out-of-the-loop fans to understand the severity of each type of injury. Thanks in advance!!
    A bruise is like any other bruise, associated with some tissue bleeding and swelling. But a bad bruise can be incredibly painful, especially in such a sensitive area as the knee. They can cause effusions (fluid to collect in the joint space) or hematomas (local collections of blood) and may need to be drained.

You most often hear about ACL tears. The ACL is the ligament that connects the femur to the tibia (shin bone) at the front of the knee and is usually injured on rotational injuries or with significant frontal impact (ala Willis McGahee). Rehab of a torn ACL can last a year. The MCL is at the inside aspect of the knee and isn't as bad as an ACL tear. Depending on the type of injury, people can be back within a a week or two (for a sprain) or a few months. The LCL is at the outside of the knee. The PCL is like the ACL only at the back of the knee. These last two are rarely injured without other ligaments being torn.

Other knee injuries including tearing the meniscus (medial or lateral), which is cartilage that is found in the knee that provides support and cushioning to the joint. You'll usually see medial meniscus injuries along with ACL and MCL tears.

Did that answer your question?
    T '05, SOM '10

Hopefully it will not be a season-ender. Lance has really worked his butt off over the last four years to become a big contributor. Though he's not a big scorer his presence on the court is very valuable, and we will be a lesser team without him. I'd hate to see his college career end with an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    A bruise is like any other bruise, associated with some tissue bleeding and swelling. But a bad bruise can be incredibly painful, especially in such a sensitive area as the knee. They can cause effusions (fluid to collect in the joint space) or hematomas (local collections of blood) and may need to be drained.

You most often hear about ACL tears. The ACL is the ligament that connects the femur to the tibia (shin bone) at the front of the knee and is usually injured on rotational injuries or with significant frontal impact (ala Willis McGahee). Rehab of a torn ACL can last a year. The MCL is at the inside aspect of the knee and isn't as bad as an ACL tear. Depending on the type of injury, people can be back within a a week or two (for a sprain) or a few months. The LCL is at the outside of the knee. The PCL is like the ACL only at the back of the knee. These last two are rarely injured without other ligaments being torn.

Other knee injuries including tearing the meniscus (medial or lateral), which is cartilage that is found in the knee that provides support and cushioning to the joint. You'll usually see medial meniscus injuries along with ACL and MCL tears.

Did that answer your question?
    Absolutely! Thanks for that. Gotta love the smart folks on DBR!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Absolutely! Thanks for that. Gotta love the smart folks on DBR!
    haha, no no, it's not intellect. I just pay a lot of money to get people to teach me that
    T '05, SOM '10