Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lance Thomas' Knee

Figure we'll need a thread on this if/when there is news. I'm holding out hope that it's not as serious as I fear.

I've played soccer for a long time, and as crazy as this sounds, I'll take an impact injury over a twisting injury any day of the week.

Most impact injuries I've seen usually swell up the size of a grapefruit for a few days, but the player is back within a week or two.

The impact of twisting injuries is pretty well known...

K just said in the post game presser that it "is not a minor injury" or something very much like that. He went on to say he did NOT think it was an ACL but that it did appear somewhat serious

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    K just said in the post game presser that it "is not a minor injury" or something very much like that. He went on to say he did NOT think it was an ACL but that it did appear somewhat serious
    I didnt get to see this presser, but is that just his impression, or did Lance get an MRI on his knee? MRIs take some time... so I kind of doubt any diagnosis has been made yet...

A deep bruise can be incredibly painful. lets hope its just that.

MRI

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    I didnt get to see this presser, but is that just his impression, or did Lance get an MRI on his knee? MRIs take some time... so I kind of doubt any diagnosis has been made yet...

A deep bruise can be incredibly painful. lets hope its just that.
    In most instances, they won't do an MRI until the swelling is down a little, not immediately.

I think the concern is that the knee flexed laterally when Drew hit him. MCL maybe? That's a complete guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    In most instances, they won't do an MRI until the swelling is down a little, not immediately.

I think the concern is that the knee flexed laterally when Drew hit him. MCL maybe? That's a complete guess.
    Definitely. An MRI like this is no urgent matter. It can be done in the morning for a layperson, but this is Lance Thomas baby! Im not sure how fast they can be on imaging for an athlete.

My impression is that it would be difficult to cause a ligament tear with very little to no rotation. A direct impact is more indicative of a deep and severe bruise. Did he rotate his knee though? Would have to see the replay.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    To follow up, K also said that if Lance is out, Duke would probably play some with Singler at the 4 and Andre as the third guard. He was very complimentary of Andre's play (saying he played good defense) and also singled out Mason for praise, commenting on how many minutes he played and how well, and that he would probably do that more if Lance can't play.

Even though K said it would be 24 hours before he would know Lance's status, the fact that he was talking about playing without him suggests K's already figuring Lance won't be back for a while. I think it was also notable that K brought all this up on his own, not in response to a direct question about Lance's status.

Please oh please just be a deep bruise. No ligaments, fingers crossed!

In the replay, it actually looked like he hyper-extended it a bit. I am concerned about it based on his reaction.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Figure we'll need a thread on this if/when there is news. I'm holding out hope that it's not as serious as I fear.
    It looked bad. Every time they tried to straighten it, he winced in pain. I pray it is not a MCL injury and just a bad bruise.

Prayers to LT our ROCK ON D!!

I am hoping it is a bruise that can heal within the week. Looked like he and Drew bumped knees which I have done and it hurts like crazy, but usually gets better fairly quickly.

Worst case scenario is that he twisted and tore something.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope is a bruise.
    I pray to the (Blue) Devil for a fast recovery.

Ignorant question - can a bruised knee look that bad? Lance was on the floor for a while and winced in pain A LOT. I have no sports medicine experience, so I have no idea how bad a bruised knee can be. Due to Lance's reaction, and I hate to be the pessimist, but I would have thought it to be much more serious, like an ACL or MCL.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Ignorant question - can a bruised knee look that bad? Lance was on the floor for a while and winced in pain A LOT. I have no sports medicine experience, so I have no idea how bad a bruised knee can be. Due to Lance's reaction, and I hate to be the pessimist, but I would have thought it to be much more serious, like an ACL or MCL.
    Absolutely. In fact, a bruised kneed could be much more painful than an ACL tear, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Absolutely. In fact, a bruised kneed could be much more painful than an ACL tear, to be honest.
    Right. But (and this is pure speculation), I don't think K would say that it was serious if it weren't a potential season-ender. Guess I should just shut up and wait, since I have no clue what's going on.

Ryan and Andre, in to fire you go

Ive blown a knee out and I've also fallen into a rail wakeskating at 25mph and gotten a "deep bruise." I was scared to look at my leg after the deep bruise. It was by far the worst pain of my life. I hit the rail again two days later though, so hopefully Lance will be back in action soon!

I agree with the majority here. My guess would be deep bruise, which can be tremendously painful and have some morbidity associated with it (development of an effusion that needs draining, for example), but compared to a ligament tear it's a walk in the park. Seeing the replay I'm not too worried about his ACL, but his MCL definitely could have been affected.

Hope you're okay, Lance! We need you!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Best wishes Lance..I think the game would have been in hand long before the three minute mark if we had his defense in there for the second half.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Right. But (and this is pure speculation), I don't think K would say that it was serious if it weren't a potential season-ender. Guess I should just shut up and wait, since I have no clue what's going on.
    very wise. as you always are. sigh. lets hope for the best.

got to say something though, lance always gives his A+ effort, and it will be something as a duke fan that i will always treasure. i remember during the smackdown last year against clemson when lance got a late rebound and took it back up with authority (realize we are down by +20 pts at this point). the rest of the team looked lost in a daze, he was still focused. he always shows so much heart.