Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost: What Kate Does

What?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    What?!?!?
    I thought tonight's episode basically sucked.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I thought tonight's episode basically sucked.
    I'd leave out the word 'basically'. That was 1/16th of the final season we've been waiting for for eight months?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

As requested, a new thread has been created for this week's episode.

A couple comments--

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that we are neither rooting for the Others at the Temple nor for Flocke/smoke monster. They may be on opposite sides of a battle, but neither of them seem to have the best interests of our heroes (the Lostaways) at heart. The Flocke monster could get past the ashe into that Temple camp and kill everyone and I would not shed a tear.

Claire may have been "infected" but the look on her face was not one of someone who has no feelings for our heroes. She's still a "good guy." I am tempted to say that the show could not turn Sayid into a bad guy either but I would have said the same thing about Locke a half dozen episodes ago. The producers will do anything to mess with us

I hated the alternate timeline in this episode. Kate does nothing that matters. I have not been given any reason to care about that timeline aside from wondering what happened to Jack's father's body, why Hurley is lucky, and maybe a couple other minor things. Spending a whole episode only following Kate and Claire... yawn!! And meeting the alt-Ethan Goodspeed was pretty lame too. I wonder if the show is going to try to explain how all these people's lives are connected together or not. There is some amusing symetry to Ethan delivering the baby in both timelines.

--Jason "I liked that Sawyer's wedding ring was small, it would have been easy to make it bigger but small ring rang true" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    What?!?!?
    I suspect that anyone interested in LOST's mythology is going to be disappointed with this season and the ending of the show. It's just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

A couple comments--

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that we are neither rooting for the Others at the Temple nor for Flocke/smoke monster. They may be on opposite sides of a battle, but neither of them seem to have the best interests of our heroes (the Lostaways) at heart. The Flocke monster could get past the ashe into that Temple camp and kill everyone and I would not shed a tear.

Claire may have been "infected" but the look on her face was not one of someone who has no feelings for our heroes. She's still a "good guy." I am tempted to say that the show could not turn Sayid into a bad guy either but I would have said the same thing about Locke a half dozen episodes ago. The producers will do anything to mess with us

I hated the alternate timeline in this episode. Kate does nothing that matters. I have not been given any reason to care about that timeline aside from wondering what happened to Jack's father's body, why Hurley is lucky, and maybe a couple other minor things. Spending a whole episode only following Kate and Claire... yawn!! And meeting the alt-Ethan Goodspeed was pretty lame too. I wonder if the show is going to try to explain how all these people's lives are connected together or not. There is some amusing symetry to Ethan delivering the baby in both timelines.

--Jason "I liked that Sawyer's wedding ring was small, it would have been easy to make it bigger but small ring rang true" Evans
    I think we might be hating the alternate timeline for many episodes to come - like you say, we don't have any motivation to care about anything that goes on. I have to assume that those things will "matter" at some point (or else why have them), but hopefully we will find out why sooner rather than later.

One interesting thing about this episode - Claire seems to have become Rousseau. Setting traps, shooting rifles, etc. If Claire is "infected", does this mean Rousseau was as well? Meanwhile, it was Rousseau herself who said her husband became "infected" after being dragged into the temple by Smokey. I can't decide if I think I'm reading too much into this or if I think it's meaningful in some way.

One last thought - even if the pill was poison, was Dogan (sp?) telling Jack the truth that Sayid must want to take the pill or else it "won't work"? Why not just give Sayid the pill themselves? Dogan trying to convince Jack to "kill" Sayid seems similar to Flocke killing Jacob by having Ben do it. In both cases, someone else was doing the killing, and the concept of free will was raised.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

A couple comments--

I didn't do handsprings about this episode, but I think the Claire/Kate story was worthwhile in establishing that the LAX timeline is not all about "everyone's life unravels if the plane doesn't crash." Additionally, I think it's becoming clear that regardless of timeline, these people's lives are connected.

Man, I HATED Sawyer for 4 seasons. I know he was the charming-rogue-I-just-HAD-to-love, but he always seemed a self-centered jackass to me. (Granted, I may miss the hormonal appeal.) But now, he's ten times the man anyone else is. Except maybe Sayid, who's surprisingly passive for a spine-snapping torturer.

I am enjoying Jack's mildly redemptive storyline. Just 150 more episodes of redemption like this, and I'll quit hating him.

Obvioisly, there's strong symmetry between Claire and Rousseau. (FWIW, my theory prior to the end of this episode was that she was dead.) Both Claire and Rousseau bore children on the island (a rarity in itself) who were subsequently stolen, both carved a solitary path-- and both seeded that path with a variety of fatal animal traps. What's up with that?

My theory now is that the Claire we saw in the cabin was smokey-Claire, not the Claire we saw at the end of this episode.

Also, good call by duke23 for noting the whole "he must want to take the pill" thing. I don't get that at all but it must mean something.

I loved the Miles moment where he sarcastically declared Hurley their leader.

I agree with Jason-- I WANT to like the Temple-ies and I assume they are actually the good guys, but... what a bunch of condescending asses.

Not that I've ever tried, but didn't it seem like Kate was able to Karate kick that bathroom door open a little too easy? And then take out an armed FBI agent...

To me the only bright spot was they let Mac out of Paddy's Pub and gave him a gun. Nice death too.

Otherwise my 'Show that I love to hate' has been more hate.

I have a feeling that they are going to leave us hanging in the end, ie no resolution to many, if any conflicts. I dunno, as of late I have become a more casual TV fan, which does not work well with this show.

Not much to say about this episode. Some thoughts:

1. Maybe Rousseau was infected and her frenchmen weren't?
    2. I thought maybe "What Kate Does" was going to be kill Claire in the opposite timeline (until I saw Claire was pregnant). But the title is misleading. Kate didn't do anything very poignant in this episode except act like a human being.
    3. Nice to see Mac from Always Sunny in Philadelphia as Aldo even if the writers wrote him so fricking broadly that Laurence Olivier couldn't have made those lines come off. I checked IMDB and he actually was Aldo in "Not in Portland" when Kate broke out.

And how awesome was it that they told Jack they would tell him everything once they were done with Sayid. Then they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    And how awesome was it that they told Jack they would tell him everything once they were done with Sayid. Then they didn't.
    What's even awesomer is that Flocke promises to tell Sawyer everything in next week's episode.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    To me the only bright spot was they let Mac out of Paddy's Pub and gave him a gun. Nice death too.
    That was a very bright spot, I agree. He was sorta in Mac character too!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the episode.

It revealed that Claire was alive, but in this infected state like Sayid. Is this the same infection that the French woman saw in her fellow scientists? Does one need to be dead to become infected.

Also interestign was that as someone else mentioned with or without going to the island, the Losties were destined to have their lives intertwined. I liked the touch of Ethan/Goodspeed being the OB. He really needs to work on his bedside manner, creepy!

Best line: "I am not a zombie"
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post

Oh, that was good! He even slipped a little Mac in his scenes, too.
    Very funny!
    Whoops, posted before I read the above. I kept thinking Ethan/OB was going to ask Claire to pay for her labor slowing drip before he gave the ok to start it. Kind of a commentary on insurance these days. Looks the the Lost writers are getting a little slap happy.

One note on time travel...

I haven't wrapped my head around it yet, but hope to later.

Sawyer's box of stuff with Juliet's ring was in Island 2007. So what does that mean for the reverse theories from last thread that the bomb going off = losties on the island and bomb not going off = 2004 LAX and island underwater?

I need to think about this one. The creators have constantly reiterated that the alternative timeline is much more than a "what-if" which tends to make me disbelieve the "reverse" theory, but does Sawyer's box still being there, help/hurt/do nothing with respect to that theory?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I haven't wrapped my head around it yet, but hope to later.
    If you do, send me the Cliff Notes, I'm still confused by it as well.

Sawyer's box of stuff with Juliet's ring was in Island 2007. So what does that mean for the reverse theories from last thread that the bomb going off = losties on the island and bomb not going off = 2004 LAX and island underwater?

I need to think about this one. The creators have constantly reiterated that the alternative timeline is much more than a "what-if" which tends to make me disbelieve the "reverse" theory, but does Sawyer's box still being there, help/hurt/do nothing with respect to that theory?
    Sawyer's box tells us nothing. It was placed there before the bomb went off (and the timelines diverged), so should exist at that location in both timelines until displaced.

As far as I can tell, the Jack Blows Bomb = Sunken Island versus Jack Does NOT Blow Bomb = Sunken Island yields no testable hypothesis with the current information. Knowing the proximal cause of the sinking probably will tell us, but it might not.

Let me state that this theory still has my brain pretzelized, so I could be missing something.

I'm on the fence about the theory, firmly on the fence. Bottom line, it fits the profile of screwing with us that the show does so well. On the other hand, I agree with you that the producers have said enough to indicate that the timelines aren't reversed.

But we just don't-- and can't-- know.

Jack didn't get Sayid to take the pill, so I guess they aren't done with Sayid yet.
    Question -- was that Claire shooting those temple folks?

Another doppelganger last night (pulled from Doc Henson's write up on EW) -- the Killer Whale in Claire's bag is the same one Kate gave Aaron in "Something Nice Back Home."

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Question -- was that Claire shooting those temple folks?
    Yup.

See alteran's post above about her similarities to Rosseau.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Yup.

See alteran's post above about her similarities to Rosseau.
    Well, it was a character played by Emilie de Ravin. Whether it was Claire Littleton has yet to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Well, it was a character played by Emilie de Ravin. Whether it was Claire Littleton has yet to be seen.
    You mean a NotClaire? I think we can assume that she died before and has been reborn like Sayid. I mean, she was hanging out with Christian previously.

BTW, I read in another chat that there were 108 questions asked in last night's episode, which is a bit kooky. Also 108 stitches on a baseball. Not sure why the numbers are coming back up, but they are.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

On behalf of everyone in the audience, I want to see a really pissed off Jack next week demanding answers.

C'mon writers, we are in the final season. The time for freaking ANSWERS is NOW!!! The promos even say that. So, give us some answers already!!!

--Jason "they are starting to really piss me off" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?