Consecutive NCAA Appearances?

If arizona and ucla don't make the tourney is duke the leader in consecutive ncaa tourneys made?

I think UNC, UK and Florida were NIT particpants recently too...

found my answer - google

Most Current Consecutive NCAA Tournament Appearances
    25 - Arizona (since 1985)
    20 - Kansas (since 1990)
    14 - Duke (since 1996)
    12 - Michigan St. (since 1998)
    11 - Gonzaga (since 1999)
    11 - Texas (since 1999)
    11 - Wisconsin (since 1999)

Kansas would still be above Duke
    Last edited by gofurman; 02-09-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    If arizona and ucla don't make the tourney is duke the leader in consecutive ncaa tourneys made?

I think UNC, UK and Florida were NIT particpants recently too...
    Duke's already ahead of UCLA. They didn't make it Howland's first year. Kansas, I believe, is still ahead of us.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

no arizona

I'm holding the official 2009 NCAA Record book as I right this and Arizona does NOT have a long consecutive appearance streak -- their 1999 appearance was vacated and thus their streak is not recognized.

On page 27, they list the "Current Consecutive Tournament Appearances" (remember, this is going into the 2009 tournament):

1. Kansas 19
    2. Kentucky 17
    3. Duke 13
    4. Michigan State 11
    5. (tie) Gonzaga, Texas, Wisconsin 10
    8. Arizona 9
    9. Pittsburgh 7
    10. UNC 5

Kentucky missed last year, so their streak ends. Everybody else on the list extended their streak, so it's currently:

1. Kansas 20
    2. Duke 14
    3. Michigan State 12
    4. (Tie) Gonzaga, Texas, Wisconsin 11
    7. Arizona 10
    8. Pitt 8
    9. UNC 6

Of that list, both Arizona and UNC are in danger of missing the field. But Kansas WILL extend their streak to 21 -- much longer than Duke's 15.

I think the first reference is the more accurate of the two about Zona, who was lucky to make it last year.

Moot point since they are on self imposed probation the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    I think the first reference is the more accurate of the two about Zona, who was lucky to make it last year.

Not really. The self-imposed probation did not include a post-season ban. They're still eligible this year. At 6-5 and 12-11, that likely means needing to win the Pac10 tournament, but Cal is leading the putrid conference at 7-4, so anything's possible.

And vacating the record books is one thing, but Arizona did, in fact, appear in that tournament, so I'd say they've still got the longest appearance streak.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post

And I am on self imposed probation from the Oscars and Nobel prizes for the next two years.

I love it when teams discipline themselves by giving up post season games they won't be invited to play.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    ...so I'd say they've still got the longest appearance streak.
    Longest active streak...

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    Longest active streak...
    A point. And conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    A point. And conceded.
    I actually haven't looked it up recently... how long before the Jayhawks pass it, barring any Roy Williams-like meltdowns?

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    I actually haven't looked it up recently... how long before the Jayhawks pass it, barring any Roy Williams-like meltdowns?
    A while. This will be 21 for KU. UNC had a run of 27 straight NCAA appearances from 1975-2001.

Thumbs up K better than Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    1. Kansas 20
    2. Duke 14
    3. Michigan State 12
    4. (Tie) Gonzaga, Texas, Wisconsin 11
    7. Arizona 10
    8. Pitt 8
    9. UNC 6

Of that list, both Arizona and UNC are in danger of missing the field. But Kansas WILL extend their streak to 21 -- much longer than Duke's 15.
    By my count, Coach K has approximately 25-26 straight appearances in the NCAA's.
    Since he was not coaching for most of 2005 (right?) - which of course had a lot to do with WHY Duke melted down that year - he didn't "miss" the tournament... Not that that makes any record books, of course, but it is pretty impressive when you think about it. The man, as the Duke HC, hasn't missed the dance for the better part of three decades. Count us as very fortunate to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And I am on self imposed probation from the Oscars and Nobel prizes for the next two years.

I love it when teams discipline themselves by giving up post season games they won't be invited to play.
    St. John's did that after Mike Jarvis destroyed the program in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    By my count, Coach K has approximately 25-26 straight appearances in the NCAA's.
    Since he was not coaching for most of 2005 (right?) - which of course had a lot to do with WHY Duke melted down that year - he didn't "miss" the tournament...
    1995. Sorry to quibble, but for those of us unfortunate enough to suffer through on campus, those were days that live in infamy.

At least we had the Hall of Fame Bowl to tide us over.