UNC, Duke rivalry not vicious

Who did they survey? It what universe is this true?!
    http://dailytarheel.com/content/unc-...ry-not-vicious

They must have polled some of the most least passionate basketball fans in the state.

I'll agree with Greg Doily before I grant any credence to anything written in the DTH. And some of you people think The Chronicle's bad.

They surveyed 678 registered voters from North Carolina. They found that 21% were rooting for Duke, 33% rooting for UNC and 44% didn't care (State fans?)

So the real survey information is that most f the state doesn't care about a college basketball game, which shouldn't be that amazing.

This is a poorly sampled study, a phone study to registered voters, adn limits the geography arbitrarily when considering the rivalry.

Having said that, we (both Duke adn UNC) are much more civilized than the Kentucky/Louisville crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    This is a poorly sampled study, a phone study to registered voters, adn limits the geography arbitrarily when considering the rivalry.
    Normally, I'd agree with you... the problem is that Public Policy Polling is one of the most accurate pollsters when it comes to politics in recent years, and so I can't be too critical of any poll that comes from them. It seems odd, but it's not overwhelmingly surprising, nor is it meant to be scientific.

Die, smurfies, die.

There, that wasn't so bad, was it?

Really doesn't surprise me. I thought I hated Tar Heel fans when I was a student. As I've grown older and wiser, I realize I just hate to lose to them. I certainly don't hate them as people. For those of us who continue to live and work in this state, you just can't. I work with Carolina fans all day every day. I go to church with em. I even like some of them. We have sensible discussions on the strengths and weaknesses of our teams.

We are, both sides, very passionate about winning. The players too. But I really don't think, for the most part, we hate each other as people. The players too.

I had a similar conversation with a buddy of mine who went to Florida. He couldn't comprehend that the schools were only 8 miles apart. He said if that were Florida and, say, Georgia, they would burn each other's school down. I explained that while we hate when the other team wins, we don't really hate each other. In fact, when I was a Duke student, I dated someone from Chapel Hill and had plenty of good times on Franklin Street congregating with the "enemy."

I've also read that the rivalry between the players is played up for the media, but doesn't really exist. They actually play a lot of summer ball together and do camps together.

I always characterized the relationship as begrudging respect with a dose of animosity on game day, but not true hatred. It's not like Yankees-Red Sox in that respect.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    Normally, I'd agree with you... the problem is that Public Policy Polling is one of the most accurate pollsters when it comes to politics in recent years, and so I can't be too critical of any poll that comes from them. It seems odd, but it's not overwhelmingly surprising, nor is it meant to be scientific.
    Good with political polling doesn't mean they would capture the dynamics of Duke/UNC when the fanbases are not distributed along a political entity's geography. I would also argue that using calls to registered NC voters would miss the majority of current Duke students and a good portion of UNC students. Basing the idea of the rivalry on a sample that excludes the students is not that great of survey.

Having argued against the validity of the study, I will go back to the point that we have a rivalry, not a hatred. Expecting rivalry to be about hatred is a poor understanding of the term, IMO.

the old days

of Art Heyman, Larry Brown, Dieter Krause and Mike Lewis. what is wrong with the people in this poll, have they in fact, lost their minds. Of course we dislike unc but hatred is not the proper word, its somewhere north of there, i can tell you that hatred eats at both parties, so i'll just say, i hate to lose to unc, i will never pull for unc in anything at anytime. The few unc fans that can carry on a simple cinvesation are ok but that is the vast minority. In closing i'll just say GTHCGTH that pretty much sums it up.

that would be conversation, sorry

The media builds it up for dramatic effect and money. Some of the students/fans buy into the manufactured animosity. From my experience, many of their students are hospitable and gregarious. I won't be on Franklin St. after we play tonight, but generally my time on their campus is pleasent. I'll follow the chorus, and say there is mutual respect, but on game day, we want to kill 'em (in a basketball way). That's how the game should be played. A civilized battle between two respected programs. With all that said, GTHCGTH!!!!