Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Maryland 92, UNC-CH 71

So who to root for, the team that's 5-2 and right behind us or the team that 2-5? Or more accurately who to root against more? :

I think someone else on this board (can't remember who) came up with a best-case scenario: Chapel Hill loses, but Maryland has to vacate the win.

Anyway, I look for Maryland to win this game by 10-15 points. I actually think MD will have an easier time with Chapel Hill than we will.

As far as who to pull for - you NEVER root for Chapel Hill unless Duke NEEDS them to win for some reason.

The only reasons I would not root against Chapel Hill Community College is if it either helps us substantially (pulling further ahead from Maryland isn't enough), or it means we get to play them in the NCAA tournament. The first because it's really cheering for Duke by proxy, and the second because it would be epic.

We control our own destiny against Maryland, and Maryland has a tougher second-half schedule than us. Plus, a UNC loss dims their tourney chances to virtually nonexistent. Plus, there are very few scenarios where you ever cheer for your biggest rival in a conference game midseason. All signs point to cheering for Maryland in this one.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    ABC!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Agree and can't remember a time when rooting for the Holes was a possibility.
    But, if you forget who is 2-5, at any other time you'd be rooting against the team that's 5-2. Big if, however.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    Agree and can't remember a time when rooting for the Holes was a possibility.
    But, if you forget who is 2-5, at any other time you'd be rooting against the team that's 5-2. Big if, however.
    I'm rooting for Maryland (painfully), but if Chapel Hill wins, it won't be awful...it WOULD help us more in the standings. Not enough to pull for those clowns, though.

The question is - would we rather play CH coming off a win or loss against MD? I think a loss would put them into farther disarray. A win would do nothing but help their mental state. CH is not a team that plays well under desperate circumstances, which will certainly be present on Wednesday if they lose to MD.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

9F

Easiest choice I have had in a long time: Go Terps! Win by 30 if you can.

GTHC GTH

I'm rooting for a physical game in which both teams beat the living crap out of each other and very small win by Maryland. A blowout gets the Holes fired up post-embarrasment for Wednesday and gets the Twerps cocky for Saturday, too.

As a proud DC resident, Maryland is the ACC team I have the hardest time cheering for in the ABC vein. I do it, but it hurts me somewhere deep down in my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    I'm rooting for a physical game in which both teams beat the living crap out of each other and very small win by Maryland. A blowout gets the Holes fired up post-embarrasment for Wednesday and gets the Twerps cocky for Saturday, too.

As a proud DC resident, Maryland is the ACC team I have the hardest time cheering for in the ABC vein. I do it, but it hurts me somewhere deep down in my soul.
    This is because they have even worse fans than Chapel Hill, which is hard to do. I knew Dukies from the DC area when I was there, and it seems the Maryland people are about as bad as they say.

Difficult choice. Don't want Carolina feeling good about themselves going into Wed. But hard to pull for Maryland. I agree that a triple overtime game would be best- with a two day stay in the hotel in Md for the heels.

I cannot imagine any scenerio that would make it appropriate to cheer on the Orange Technical Institute...well ok, if we were invaded by evil beings who landed on the OTI court and Roy was our last line of defense before the human race was obliterated then MAYBE. I hope the turtles and tar heels beat the crapola out of one another, get into some kind of inbred argument with perhaps fisticuffs and hurled objects resulting in game suspensions and that the final score has the ninja turtle team up by at least 40. I'll be watching

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    I'm rooting for a physical game in which both teams beat the living crap out of each other and very small win by Maryland.
    And then a 20 hour trip to Chapel Hill - leaving from the game and waiting in the teminal for 14 hours to get on the plane and then 4 hours on the runway for takeoff!
    Last edited by Bob Green; 02-06-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Smile Lets Be Realistic

Of course, we want the Terps to win. If we have to beat UMd to win the ACC regular season, so be it. Our fans deserve to see Carolina have a losing ACC season.

Being somewhat Machiavellian, I would like HS stars to see good O' Roy lose 15+ games with a roster full of McD A-A's. It would expose the coaching weaknesses down 15-501.

sagegrouse

Maryland fans are the worst I've ever encountered in the ACC. Their immense hatred of Duke is actually kind of frightening as is their total lack of class. If I weren't a Duke fan, I would definitely be cheering for UNC tomorrow because they really are a lot more likable than Maryland(putting my Duke bias aside). However, I am a Duke fan so it's always hard to cheer for the Heels.

I perdict a dadgummit or 50,several cars turned over and a riot in the streets ,the sissy blue leaving with their tail between their legs after the beatdown.Go Twerps for 1 game!

Quote Originally Posted by ReformedAggie View Post
    I cannot imagine any scenerio that would make it appropriate to cheer on the Orange Technical Institute...well ok, if we were invaded by evil beings who landed on the OTI court and Roy was our last line of defense before the human race was obliterated then MAYBE. I hope the turtles and tar heels beat the crapola out of one another, get into some kind of inbred argument with perhaps fisticuffs and hurled objects resulting in game suspensions and that the final score has the ninja turtle team up by at least 40. I'll be watching
    Nope, I would root for the aliens.

Easy to see why they would land in chapel hell, if they were to give the earth an anal probe, where else would they land?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    And then a 20 hour trip to Chapel Hill - leaving from the game and waiting in the teminal for 14 hours to get on the plane and then 4 hours on the runway for takeoff!
    After four hours on the runway, they decide to charter a bus, which makes it 40 miles before sliding off the highway, pinning the entire team in the bus (without injury). The rescue is delayed when the State troopers are unable to stop laughing for hours, laughing so hard they can't even point to the clearly marked and unobstructed emergency exit.

I want the heels to lose. Let the finger pointing continue. It would amuse me to have the players see ol' roy to be the two-faced charlatan with the depth of tissue paper that he is. Should the dissatisfaction rise to the level that easy ed would rather go in the 2nd round rather than spend another year being ridden by ol' roy, all's the better.

Is there any way possible for them both to lose?

Since I know the answer to that, ABC as always.

If the holes get stuck in the snow will Roy blame it on being a young team?dadgummit!!!

I'm more worried about the Syracuse UConn game that ESPN is showing before The Game on Wednesday. I really hope that ESPN has a backup plan for when the Duke UNC game starts. I don't want to sit watching the Orangemen shoot free throws instead of watching The Game.
    GTHC