Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 66 - BC 63 Post-Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Zoubek won that game for us in so many ways

Whew.

Scheyer and Smith hit free throws in the last minute.

Freshmen made mistakes down the stretch---fouls, missed foul shots, but that's part of the learning process.

A road win in the ACC = good thing!

I don't know what that was in the last few minutes. Very uncharacteristic of us. Other than that, I thought we played pretty well despite the slow start.

BTW, in all his years, Mike Patrick still does not understand that Zoubek was coming in to get a rebound and not for ballhandling purposes? LOL!

I'm absolutely thirlled to come out of there with a win, considering the less than 48 hour turnaround from our last game. I'm not going to stress out over any of our sloppiness.

Its amazing how much our interior defense is hurt when Lance is out of the game. He brings a lot of energy and versatility and when he fouls out there tend to be a lot of layups from the other team.

A win is a win. Bring on the Tar Heels....

"Zoubek won that game for us in so many way"

agree completely.

Very business-like win for us. Didn't play great, but between two huge emotional games and on the road, it was great to pull out a win. Who's next?

Quote Originally Posted by GoingFor#4 View Post
    I don't know what that was in the last few minutes. Very uncharacteristic of us. Other than that, I thought we played pretty well despite the slow start.
    Duke guards well for 37 minutes, then fouls every trip in the last three. Weird. Thomas fouling out really didn't help.

experience key on the road

Good games by Nolan, Jon, and Z. Lance played well but is still fouling too much. Kyle played well but his judgment on shot selection was not as good today. I hope our younger guys can still improve, as we need them to get better if we want to win the ACC tournament and go deep in the NCAAs. Regardless of how UNC is playing, Wednesday is going to be tough for us . . . we are just not very good on the road yet.

I would say this game was nothing special...

...but road wins have been hard to come by this year, so I guess this win was special. Something akin to "Survivor: Conte Forum Edition."

Glad we were playing BC this afternoon, and not an upper echelon team. Really feel like our bigs (esp. Miles and Mason) need to get more comfortable and confident on the road for us to succeed consistently away from Cameron.

Mike Patrick really makes the game hard to watch. It was kind of funny seeing the close-ups on him though. The guy could barely keep his eyes open.

Mason does something very stupid every time he misses a free throw or a good shot. He tries to pry the ball out of his opponent's hands and of course gets called for a foul. He has to stop doing that if he wants to get more playing time.

Smith and Scheyer carried us, but Zoubek was also really clutch with his rebounds and smart defensive play outside of his first half foul with 2 seconds to go.

I really wanted Dawkins and Kelly to knock down those free throws so they would get more confidence.

Great to get another road win in the conference. Sole possession of first place and rolling into Chapel Hill on a hot streak, winning two straight.

However, another poor shooting performace from Singler who is inconsistent this season. Gutty effort from Nolan who took over down the stretch. Scheyer was a senior leader and Zoubek had some great rebounds and tipped balls. We must shoot better from 3-point range and from the line to have any chance in the NCAA Tournament this season, which is possible. We currently have NO inside game and rely on our big three, all of whom are guards or undersized big men, to win games.

Go to Hell Carolina.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Got what we went up there for: A road win. Not pretty at the end but guys stepped up and made free throws. If LT does not foul out it never gets that close. Good to see Kelly growing up and Andre was pumped after the Nolan shake and bake lay up near the end and was really pumped after the game.

Good to see!!

Go Duke and GTHC GTH 9F9F9F9F

Nolan continues to establish himself as our go-to-guy. Dude is ice.

I love, love, love the return to the motion offense. We look infinitely better when we are concentrating on executing it well.

I thought it was interesting how much K played Mason and Kelly down the stretch, despite their mistakes. This was the kind of trial-by-fire a lot of us were calling for earlier in the year - it certainly cost us some points, and almost the game, but you've got to think that kind of experience will do wonders for the two freshies. Even just knowing K developed enough confidence in them to be on the floor in that situation is big.

I was shocked to see Dawkins come in at the end though. What on earth is going on here?

And lastly, it was great how happy and pumped the guys looked after the game. Even Andre looked like he was 100% enjoying the W and part of the team, which was nice to see.

If I'm not mistaken, I think this was our first game of the year where we were ahead by 2 possessions or less in the last minute. Lance fouling out was pretty important because we had trouble putting four good foul shooters on the floor and it showed. I don't really fault the freshman because Kelly had only taken two all year, and it had been a while since Dawkins had shot any. That's a tough spot for them. Great job on the last two possessions forcing tough shots, even if they hit one of them.

Great Win

Less than two days after beating one of the most physical teams we play in one of the most physical games of the year.

After the longest road trip to an in-conference game.

We got a great win...we were tough enough to hang on. Even though we were clearly physically tired, we here getting to loose balls.

Great win.

I agree with the praise for Zoubek. He was the man today.

Another Triple S effort. Almost nothing from anyone else. Glad they hit some
    free throws down the stretch. Andre must be in K's doghouse, not playing until
    the end in a game like that. He still has time to turn it around for the tournament, but he needs to do something to get it going?

Take-aways

Notwithstanding the lack of foul discipline away from the ball during the last three minutes, I am pleased about this game.

1. Nice to see Dawkins in the game with something asked of him.

2. Help defense and talking seemed much better than the recent games other than Georgia Tech. Lance seems to be key to this.

3. Scheyer decision making in the lane and looking to involve the interior players in scoring.

Good win. Nice to see the team smiling as they walked off the court.

Nolan Smith season's stats are very similer to those of Scottie Reynolds. But with a lot less national attention.