Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Durham BBQ and Breakfast

Coming back to Durham from NJ for the second time in 2 years to see a Duke game in Cameron. I have tix for the GTech game in February. Last year my buddy and I went to Bullocks and it was great. I'm trying to decide whether to go back (which I'd be happy to do) or try another local BBQ joint. Not interested in going to Raleigh or Chapel Hill. Any suggestions?

Last year I went to Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street for breakfast and can't imagine going anywhere better, but am open to suggestions. Again, I'd rather stay local. Thanks.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Coming back to Durham from NJ for the second time in 2 years to see a Duke game in Cameron. I have tix for the GTech game in February. Last year my buddy and I went to Bullocks and it was great. I'm trying to decide whether to go back (which I'd be happy to do) or try another local BBQ joint. Not interested in going to Raleigh or Chapel Hill. Any suggestions?

Last year I went to Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street for breakfast and can't imagine going anywhere better, but am open to suggestions. Again, I'd rather stay local. Thanks.

Bullock's is still a Durham classic and you will never go wrong there. But, you have to try Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Road. LOVE the chopped BBQ, slaw and homemade mac & cheese. Elmo's is tough to beat, especially for breakfast....Enjoy the trip and the game!

Dang... I thought somebody had finally invented the best bed & breakfast inn idea in the whole wide world!!

One more thing...when I was a Duke student we used to go Ole NC BBQ. I remember they had an all-you-can eat hot bar and some of the best banana pudding I can remember. Is it worth going back there? Or will my 43 year old stomach pay for it?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

One more thing...when I was a Duke student we used to go Ole NC BBQ. I remember they had an all-you-can eat hot bar and some of the best banana pudding I can remember. Is it worth going back there? Or will my 43 year old stomach pay for it?
    Ole NC BBQ is still there, but my first recommendation would still be to try Backyard BBQ Pit #2. Here are some reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/backyard-bbq-pit-durham

The last time I took my kids to Ole NC BBQ the hot bar looked like a clearance rack at Wal-mart on the day after Christmas. They seemed to care little about hygiene or good health practices. We paid for our iced tea and left. I asked the waitress if it was typical, and she said, "usually its worse, it looks good today". Unless you want to share the microbes of a lot of Durhamites who apparantly have the same eating habits as the animals they are dining upon I would stay away. It was disgusting.

However, Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Rd (1/2 block south of Carver Street, on the east side of Guess Rd) is amazing. You will not be disappointed. It puts Bullock's to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    The last time I took my kids to Ole NC BBQ the hot bar looked like a clearance rack at Wal-mart on the day after Christmas. They seemed to care little about hygiene or good health practices. We paid for our iced tea and left. I asked the waitress if it was typical, and she said, "usually its worse, it looks good today". Unless you want to share the microbes of a lot of Durhamites who apparantly have the same eating habits as the animals they are dining upon I would stay away. It was disgusting.

However, Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Rd (1/2 block south of Carver Street, on the east side of Guess Rd) is amazing. You will not be disappointed. It puts Bullock's to shame.
    allenmurray, there you go sugar-coating things again.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    allenmurray, there you go sugar-coating things again.
    Just glad to be of service.

Allen "eat the pig, don't be the pig" Murray

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post

Allen "eat the pig, don't be the pig" Murray
    Now THAT'S funny!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Everyone is pretty high on Elmo's (which is good), but I actually prefer Brigg's down by on 55 near 54 in the shopping center with Subway. I wish I could at there every morning...the food is amazing I recommend getting an omlet but it's all good.

Never forget that they feed pigs and slaughter hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Everyone is pretty high on Elmo's (which is good), but I actually prefer Brigg's down by on 55 near 54 in the shopping center with Subway. I wish I could at there every morning...the food is amazing I recommend getting an omlet but it's all good.
    Well, most people, including the OP seem to look for something near Duke. The only way that the intersection of 54/55 is close to Duke is with a transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Well, most people, including the OP seem to look for something near Duke. The only way that the intersection of 54/55 is close to Duke is with a transporter.
    Actually it is at the 15-501 split from Franklin St - near the gas station and Holiday Inn.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Actually it is at the 15-501 split from Franklin St - near the gas station and Holiday Inn.
    Given traffic on 15-501, also not very close to Duke. Though it's a lot closer than the 54/55 intersection.

Another option to Bullocks is Hog Heaven BBQ on Guess Road (www.hogheavenbarbecue.com). Doesn't have the atmosphere of Bullocks but the BBQ and fried chicken are excellent (and the owners are Duke fans!). Not fond of Elmo's for breakfast (would rather go to the IHOP next to I-85). I have also had a good breakfast at Rick's Diner on University Drive across from what used to be South Square Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlan View Post
    Another option to Bullocks is Hog Heaven BBQ on Guess Road (www.hogheavenbarbecue.com). Doesn't have the atmosphere of Bullocks but the BBQ and fried chicken are excellent (and the owners are Duke fans!). Not fond of Elmo's for breakfast (would rather go to the IHOP next to I-85). I have also had a good breakfast at Rick's Diner on University Drive across from what used to be South Square Mall.
    Rick's Diner has won awards for their breakfasts. I've had breakfast there and it was excellent.

Be sure to check regarding their location. I understand that the restaurant will be moving up Shannon Rd. to the shopping center near Old Chapel Hill Rd.

Some swear by Honey's for breakfast. It's located adjacent to I-85 off Guess Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You're thinking of Owen's 501 Diner, not Brigs. Owen's used to be good, but I haven't eaten there in a very long time.

Bullock's rules!

Just a side note, one of my family members works there.

The Federal actually has a pretty good brunch and definitely one of the best Bloody's I've had recently. Depending on how much you want to spend, consider Piedmont(American Casual), Rue Cler, Foster's Market, or Mad Hatter's.

I have to side with Allen and Verga, Backyard BBQ is by far the best cue spot I've been to here.

for breakfast it's gotta be fosters or gugelhupf. the former is a dope southern place, and the latter an awesome german bakery next door. both on 15-501