Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Printer replacement ideas needed

I would like for Santa to consider a new printer/scanner/copier/(fax?) for me, and I need some suggestions.

Aside from personal use, I would also use it for a small business I run out of my home (means I think Uncle Sam might help a bit ). Not high volume printing, but enough to need something with good reasonably fast printing.

Most likely a wireless option is best. Probably color printing also? My greatest need is to be able to scan/copy/print legible but not necessarily high resolution documents.

I probably do not require a laser printer, but I am listening.

And then there is the "Gillette issue" - I know printers can be quite inexpensive but the manufacturers get you later by having expensive and/or hard to find ink cartridge issues.

Thanks to anyone who cares to offer an opinion!

k

Take a look at the HP Color LaserJet CM2320 series. Laser, not ink - about half the cost per page, but more expensive up front.

-jk

Office depot is also doing a printer exchange with $50 off if you bring in a printer. Don't know if there is any fine print on this, but I might be checking it out tonight depending on the snow.

Just last week, after all due diligence, I purchased a Canon Pixma MX560 all-in-one printer, from Amazon, free shipping, for $69.99, after markdown and a coupon. It arrived on the third day, and works like a charm. Features do lack a FAX capability, but it is wireless, it prints on both sides of a page (automatically, without your help) if you so desire, and its ink is available at Costco at a pretty good price. I don't use FAX, too archaic. Instead, I scan into a .PDF file, and send it by email.

Thoughts to consider

Laser black and white provides many options without the razor blade problem. If you hadn't said you wanted color printing capacity, I would have immediately tried to encourage you to head toward a laser printer. One cartridge might be $65-90 but will last you 7000 quickly printed pages.

Color laser is not probably going to be worth it unless you are doing a lot of color. They are really pricey. Although, I might say any home color printer is not worth it unless you're doing a lot of color. Kinko's might be a better bet.

In addition to wireless which is a good feature to look for, look for duplexing. My printer sucks pages back in and prints on the back so I don't have to manually turn a stack of pages over for printing on the backs. For reviewing drafts or making brochures, I've found this to be a really useful feature.

I've had really good success with the Brother b/w and color laser printers and really lousy experience with HP Color lasers (although -jk's recommendation may be more up to date than mine).

One thought is to go to Costco, if you have a membership, and get what looks to meet your needs. They have a very generous return policy, so you can return it if you don't get what you want or your wants change. I think they have more options online than in the store, but you can order online and return in the store.

Finally, don't get the cheapest thing that you think meets your needs particularly if you're using this for a small business. The frustration of it failing just when you need it isn't worth it. We use a separate scanner and printer at home (not all in one) and they just work. Day in and day out, they work. I work at home mostly and I abuse these tools and they just keep working.

I hope you can find something that meets your needs and serves you well.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas!

cannon has been my choice for years...they have been reliable and the ink (black anyway) is way less expensive than almost any other brand..

i HAVE noticed that KODAK is running a campaign about lowest ink cost, so you might want to check that out as well..

HP Officejet Pro is a pretty good machine. All-in-one. Two-sided printing is an option (slows things down a bit). But it faxes and scans as well. Color and B&W. Has photo-grade capability.

It wasn't not too expensive, though I don't know prices any more.

I ended up getting an Epson Artisan 810 last night on sale at Best Buy. Set it up in about 1/2 hour last night, connected to network, good to go. Has print/scan/copy/fax (although fax would not set up for some reason). Hard sell by BB employee, but price reasonable for what you get - could not justify spending another $100 on an HP.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    I ended up getting an Epson Artisan 810 last night on sale at Best Buy. Set it up in about 1/2 hour last night, connected to network, good to go. Has print/scan/copy/fax (although fax would not set up for some reason). Hard sell by BB employee, but price reasonable for what you get - could not justify spending another $100 on an HP.
    Sorry I got to this thread late. I sell printers and supplies. If you need some inkjets for the Epson, get in touch via PM. I'll give you the DBR discount

I also have very good prices on copy paper...

I like my Brother 2170W and it works wirelessly. But I don't think it duplexes without the old turnover procedure. I wasn't happy with my old Samsung 1210 manual duplexing because the pages wouldn't come out completely clean with the second run through. I suspect the toner reheats and may (slightly) remelt and smear. Haven't tried it on the Brother yet.

Most b/w lasers run fast these days - 20 ppm is common.

Thanks for the ideas!

I appreciate the help of everyone who took the time to post an answer.

Interestingly enough, one reason I was considering a move up was because I had no fax option. Jarhead has made a good point - go with scan/PDF/email and perhaps forget about the fax issue. Faxes may well be on the road to dinosaur status anyway?! Along that line, I do frequently encounter business contacts who use the "we don't do email - you need to send us a fax" mantra.

Color is probably neither here nor there. My children are soon to be flying the nest. Although I may not necessarily need a laser printer, I will give it due consideration versus an inkjet.

I will definitely need a "copy" option, which is probably just one step away from scanning it and then printing it. Some things I need to scan/keep/send and other things I need to copy/distribute.

May I safely assume the software for all of this comes with the unit, and that a wireless option is a strong (desirable) positive for limited office space?

Thanks again, folks. T'was a good day - Duke wins and smurfs lose!

k

if you don't already have a scanner - which would do that copy/pdf thing for you, then it sounds like you're in the market for an all-in-one. I have a separate scanner and, while it isn't used daily, is essential for many tasks and would get replaced if it flatlined.

I know of no particular advantages to having separate printer and scanner, but that's just how it evolved for me.

Printer (almost) post mortem

For my scanning/copying issues, I was able to get a hand-me-down (Epson CX3810) from my daughter. While not top of the line, I think my limited scanning/copying needs can be met with it.

But the print speed is slow. I was able to procure a replacement HP 722C inkjet, and that printer makes excellent copies at draft speed, versus a "draft" with the Epson is just that - you can read it but otherwise the copy is basically worthless. Printing something at normal speed is s-l-o-w.

Alas, the belt on the HP is now shredding, and replacement is either impossible (parts) or not intelligent (cost).

So, I'm now back to looking for a good medium-priced inkjet or laserjet. No need for color, as my very limited color printing can be handled by the Epson. Wireless may or may not be a need - I'm more interested in good quality printing with good speed and reasonable "down the road" prices.

All suggestions will be welcomed. And thanks again to those who have provided earlier input.

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    For my scanning/copying issues, I was able to get a hand-me-down (Epson CX3810) from my daughter. While not top of the line, I think my limited scanning/copying needs can be met with it.

But the print speed is slow. I was able to procure a replacement HP 722C inkjet, and that printer makes excellent copies at draft speed, versus a "draft" with the Epson is just that - you can read it but otherwise the copy is basically worthless. Printing something at normal speed is s-l-o-w.

Alas, the belt on the HP is now shredding, and replacement is either impossible (parts) or not intelligent (cost).

So, I'm now back to looking for a good medium-priced inkjet or laserjet. No need for color, as my very limited color printing can be handled by the Epson. Wireless may or may not be a need - I'm more interested in good quality printing with good speed and reasonable "down the road" prices.

All suggestions will be welcomed. And thanks again to those who have provided earlier input.

k
    It might be worth your time to go to the HP web site and look at the All-in-Ones on sale... with free shipping. There's also a promotion for trading in old printers whether they work or not.

I've found the pricing on the web site to be competitive and the delivery excellent.... and that includes ink cartridges delivered for free sometimes next day.

Updated into on search

Today I went window shopping, comparing non-color inkjets to laserjets. The inkjets seem now to be made completely of plastic, and of course a lot more moving parts!

In any case, Staples has Lexmark E260dn (laserjet) on sale this week for $150 (regular price of $250), and you can get an extra $50 for dragging in your dinosaur printer.

The price sounds good, and the sales rep spoke well of the printer. There are comparable HP models, but higher overall price (name?) and nothing on sale that meets my current needs.

So, should I give it a shot or not??

k

ZDNet Reviews

Lexmark is supposedly an offshoot of IBM, though I've seen this printer on the 'Net as both a Dell and as an HP.

All the reviews favor its speed. One is not excited about the print quality.

I haven't seen it in person, but I'd bet there are a lot of plastic parts here as well.

Price seems good, though.

Aside from the permanence of the print (ink v. toner) I think the print quality is pretty much the same. You might also want to compare the prices of the ink v. toner refills.

I still prefer the All-in-One's, but if you want only black, then laser works fine. Just a matter of price and value.

Reviews at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...xmark%20E260dn

I'm still a big fan of the Brother printers, but this Lexmark seems to have similar specs to what we've been (ab)using at our place.

Can you buy its and press it into service before the return window closes?

Today I went window shopping, comparing non-color inkjets to laserjets. The inkjets seem now to be made completely of plastic, and of course a lot more moving parts!

In any case, Staples has Lexmark E260dn (laserjet) on sale this week for $150 (regular price of $250), and you can get an extra $50 for dragging in your dinosaur printer.

The price sounds good, and the sales rep spoke well of the printer. There are comparable HP models, but higher overall price (name?) and nothing on sale that meets my current needs.

So, should I give it a shot or not??

k
    Kimist,

You're getting a very good price on that machine. Lexmarks are generally sturdy printers although I'm not really up to speed on this one just yet. I haven't checked it out, but will do so when I get back to a computer (on BB now).

There are many factors that go into buying a printer and after figuring out the product that meets your specific needs, the biggest thing for me is to look at the cost of the consumables (toner, drum, wiper blades, rollers, etc). One thing people don't consider when purchasing a Brother or Dell Laser printer is that the drum is machine housed instead of cartridge housed. With HPs and Lexmarks (most Lexmarks, especially the new ones) the drum is in the cartridge so it is built into the cost of replacing the cartridge instead of being a whole other cost. You also need to look at compatible cartridges as you can save a bunch of money when purchasing your cartridge (which is the highest cost of owning a printer). It's not very easy to find Lexmark compatibles (this is what I'd o for a living and try to find them, often to no avail) so shile you save $100 on the printer up front, you're going to spend that money rather quickly. I'll do a little more research for you later on today.

Thanks,

Adam

For airowe

Thanks.

Your comments on the "later" costs are greatly appreciated. I was a bit skeptical about this perhaps being an older model (it even has a separate parallel cable connection!) but most user reviews have been very positive.

The drive-away price, through Feb 6th, cannot be ignored. (The item is on Staples web site but not in their local newspaper circular.)

If there is a ticking time bomb with "repair" costs and "you can only buy it HERE" cartridge costs, that would be good to know.

I'll be away from my computer until Friday or so, but will definitely be looking forward to your further input.

k

Thanks.

Your comments on the "later" costs are greatly appreciated. I was a bit skeptical about this perhaps being an older model (it even has a separate parallel cable connection!) but most user reviews have been very positive.

The drive-away price, through Feb 6th, cannot be ignored. (The item is on Staples web site but not in their local newspaper circular.)

If there is a ticking time bomb with "repair" costs and "you can only buy it HERE" cartridge costs, that would be good to know.

I'll be away from my computer until Friday or so, but will definitely be looking forward to your further input.

k
    Kim,

You may be able to find a compatible version of the cartridge somewhere online for cheap, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it's quality. Most of the sites you see online with very low prices on compatible cartridges are really just selling you a refilled cartridge. There is a big difference between compatible and refilled (or remanufactured).

Refilled cartridges are simply refilled with ink or toner depending on the cartridge where a compatible cartridge is completely rebuilt from the inside out. I tell my customers buying a compatible is like buying generic medication from the drugstore. Same ingredients as the brand name without the price. You just have to find someone you trust. We've been buying compatibles for 16 years at my company and we have found only two or three vendors that we trust out of hundreds. We've seen them come and go, but the ones we stick with make it because they put out a quality product.

As far as this specific printer goes, you will save money up front by going through Staples, but as it is for any place that sells printers and cartridges, a printer is just a vessel to sell cartridges. That's why you'll see a lot of the superstores basically give these things away. It's the same premise as Vegas giving you a free hotel room.

You'd be better off looking at the price of the consumables than the price of the printer unless you are really hard up for money.

I need to know a few things before I can give you an accurate assessment of what you need though.

1) How often will you be using this and when you do will you be printing a lot of pages at once?

2) Will you need it to be hooked up to a network?

3) What kind of space limitations are you working with where this printer will go?

4) What is your budget for buying a printer right now?

I have a printer in mind for you (if you can't tell I'm not a big fan of the Lexmark) but I don't want to turn you away from the deal you could be getting. This is the printer I have in mind:

http://www.staples.com/HP-LaserJet-P...=StaplesSearch

I would like to sell you the printer and can get it for a cheaper price, but we are out of stock until April

We also do business with a printer remanfacturer who has always been very trustworthy and has some amazing prices. Here is their website:

http://www.printerstop.com/

Anyways, I have to run but I can do a breakdown of the difference in the toner prices between this printer and the one you're looking at tomorrow. You will save a LOT more than the $100 you would save up front if you run with the HP.

BTW, this Lexmark actually requires you to change the drum so that is a hidden cost that you may not have factored in. The Lexmark drums typically don't last very long either...

Adam