Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bringing this one back up. We're thinking about switching from TWC to U-Verse. Anybody have any current thoughts on the latter?

Thanks

both are huge corporations with no regard for the customer…….

i've got att for tv, phone and iPhones….i've got time warner for my internet, because they have the 50/5 mb service…

i've had similar problems with each company, filed DOJ complaints against each company and in my opinion, they are pretty much the same…

if you're looking to compare SERVICES, let me know what you're not happy with….i'll try to share my knowledge of the vapid abyss known as "the telco"
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

i've got att for tv, phone and iPhones….i've got time warner for my internet, because they have the 50/5 mb service…

i've had similar problems with each company, filed DOJ complaints against each company and in my opinion, they are pretty much the same…

if you're looking to compare SERVICES, let me know what you're not happy with….i'll try to share my knowledge of the vapid abyss known as "the telco"
    Not happy more with customer service than content, especially the disconnect between what people tell you on the phone and what actually happens.

Yes, need to start recording phone conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yes, need to start recording phone conversations.
    I'm certain they give you permission to record it. "For security and training purposes this call may be recorded." Go for it.

There used to be available in most libraries a set of books that provided corporate contact information, up through a company's president, for major corporations. Bender was the name of the company that put this series out yearly. You tell a customer service representative, "I speak to your supervisor or my next call is to the company president," you'll get a supervisor, and you'll get pretty far up the chain of command, probably district manager. Often you will find a manger being quite reasonable when you speak assuredly of your intent. The information put out by corporations do not include any contact information anywhere near the top, which is to say it is not available. Nevertheless, a good way to go; none of these people know what sources are out there.

True, on a race track at Disney World, my young daughter was driving, down the hill at the start, two cowboys bumped into us with reasonable impact, at the end of the ride the people were quite rude when I wanted the guys' information, said they would take care of it themselves, insisted that I go to the medical station when I implied I might have been shaken up, they made me wait: got a free trip, airfare, on-site and comprehensive entry passes for four for a four day stay, which is all that I had asked for, once I told the supervisor how it was going to be if I didn't get what I'd asked for.

Another way to proceed, is call back, you'll get a different rep, state briefly what had happened, ask for name and name, if no last name, id no., then ask for the name and phone number for supervisor; and so on until you are told that she has no more. Then work your way up, you'd be surprised how the farther up you go, the more contact information you get, and at some point you just might run into someone who does not want it going any further and will do the right thing. Be persistent. Even a threat to bring in an outside force, small claim's court, can get action.

If you do the ride at Disney and do the race thing long enough, to are bound to get bumped. Give me a call; I got my osteopath lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

U-Verse's internet speeds are lacking, agreed. My parents in NC were looking at telecommunications options with my assistance a year or so ago. I had to recommend a bundle with TWC b/c UVerse was just too slow. It doesn't even seem competitive.

With AT&T recently making agreements for fiber investment with Raleigh, Durham, and CH, I have wondered how this will affect Google's decision making in choosing their next fiber rollouts. Thus far, Google has chosen non competitive areas for Goog Fiber. If AT&T actually makes head way in delivery FTTH technology in the Triangle, it would seem less likely that Google invest any money there.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Bringing this one back up. We're thinking about switching from TWC to U-Verse. Anybody have any current thoughts on the latter?

Thanks
    I don't get mad at large corporations. They have their uses, pros, and cons.

The U-verse TECHNICAL setup is kludgey (IMHO). My parents have the full U-verse package (Internet, Cable, VOIP Phone). I ran a speed test and found that their connection was slow (2 Meg down). I went to reboot their modem and took down EVERYTHING - 3 TVs, the phone service, etc. Then it wouldn't come back up. You can imagine my panic on a Sunday night.

The Support guy was fantastic. Walked me through several LEVELS of reboot on the Gateway (which IS the modem). We got everything back up, although it took almost an hour.

Then I ran speed test again, and it was only giving me 12 Megs down. Since I had Tech Support on the line, I asked why "so slow" because my parents PAY for 18. He told me the U-Verse Wireless Routers tamp the speed down to 12. That would REALLY make me angry if it was MY internet and somebody charged me for 18 and PUT THEIR EQUIPMENT in my house that tamped it back to 12.

I've been on TWC for 12 years now after a brief affair with DirecTV (5 years). I truly love the convenience of how everything works on its own. When I have an internet issue, it's an internet issue. It doesn't bother my TV. When I have an On-Demand show issue, it isn't an impact on my DVR or live TV.

I also like the fact that standard TWC speeds (NOT the $15/month speed) start at 6MB and that premium goes up to 50 MB. Meanwhile, AT&T (at least in RDU) puts equipment in that tamps down the overall throughput. I've also just recently heard about AT&T deleting emails and voicemails randomly from inboxes.

this is what i'm getting right now from TWC…..i was all over Uverse when their 24/3 came out, but they only delivered about 80% of whichever "tier" i was on….

this TWC speed was really pricey up until Uverse launched their 45/5 and google started looking at the triangle…..now the price is under $50/month…

oh, BTW….att just announced they've reached 10gb on copper wire...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Comcast Customer Service Call from Hell

This is very timely for this thread, and this Marketwatch story gives a good analysis of consumers' rights when it comes to recording calls like this.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013