Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is anyone else worried about the UNC game?

Tenting has started, so I think it is appropriate to start worrying now too.

What really worries me is that UNC really needs a signature win to turn things around. What better way to do it than beat Duke? The game is at UNC and Duke has not looked overly impressive in road games this season (even ignoring the debacle in DC). And no matter what the rest of the season is like for either team, they both play this game like it is the championship game (see 1994-5 season). I am really not liking the way things are shaping up for this match-up.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    The tenters don't have a choice..if they want good seats they have to do it. I do have a choice, and I choose to worry more about the next game.
    Also...if the holes don't win again until they play Duke..their season is shot anyways. A win won't turn it around for them.
    One last thought..I'll always look forward to the unc game, but I'll never worry about it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We've got GT up next and we lost to them last month. So, no, not worried about UNC right now.

i ALWAYS worry about the UNC game...i am sick of losing to them. Just when you THINK they are bad enough to be beaten is when they rise to the challenge.

I would definitely rather see more "caution" on this board than "we're gonna sweep them" posts.

Let's just knock off the smack talking untill we actually beat them....then, let's knock off the smack talking till we beat them at CIS....THEN i'll feel better...

I'm kinda thinking about gt now. Then, I'll be thinking about bc. Then, the game next Wednesday.

I think they will do fine against UNC. Not worried about them right now though, we have to avenge a loss from earlier in the year right now.

You should always be worried. At this time of year, a team that is not worried will not win. UNC is still a formidable team despite their recent woes and lack of focus. There will be none of that next week. This is a big game for both team- a huge game. But as folks said- there are other games to be worried about.

Time to worry for them after the next two games. Take each opponent as they come.

I'm also worried about GT. I think everyone takes for granted that we will win every game in Cameron. While this is for the most part true, nothing is automatic and we did lose to them in Atlanta.

Also, it is a very quick turnaround from a Thursday night game to a 2:00 start Saturday. Not to mention we will be traveling to Boston in that time span as well. Add in the fact that we haven't been very good on the road and the possibility of looking ahead to UNC and you have the recipe for an upset by the Golden Eagles.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

While I'm more worried about the GT rematch right now, the unc game is always at the back of my mind. What makes this year's match up more frustrating than usual is that both teams have been somewhat inconsistent. Which teams show up, the unc team that demoralized Michigan St. or the unc team that just got thumped at home by VA? On the Duke side do we get the team that ran Clemson out of the gym (twice) or the team that got stomped by Sate?

Duke is the better team this season but we haven't played well on the road and when it comes to this rivalry, nothing either team does before or after the game means anything. If you are young or only recently started following Duke basketball, take a look on the front page and the look back at the '95 game for some perspective. So yeah, I always nervous when playing the lighter shade of blue.

My son was born on the same day that we last beat UNC. He can now walk, talk, talk back, and will soon be potty training. He turns 2 on Friday.

I'd like to stop being able to measure the length of our drought against the Heels against his developmental milestones.

So, yeah, I am worried. I don't want to be writing this same note saying that he's about to start Kindergarten...getting his drivers license...

Quote Originally Posted by duke4life32182 View Post
    Time to worry for them after the next two games. Take each opponent as they come.
    I've always thought this line of reasoning is a little silly. The players should take each opponent as they come. We can worry about whoever we want - I, for one, agree with those worrying about the BC game as a trap game. The fact that I think BC could be a trap game, and worry more about that game and the UNC game than the GT game, makes us no more or less likely to win those two road games or lose the GT game.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

No Worries

The Duke / Unc game is not a 'normal' game. It never has been, and never will be. It is a throw out the records game. That is partially why it is the greatest rivalry in all of sports. Anything can, will, and has happened. It is a unique spectacle that we get to witness twice per year. In my opinion it is even bigger when one of the participants is having a tough year. It CAN make the difference in a season like that. If Duke were down this year, but beat Carolina, what would we say? It WOULD be the one thing to hang our hat on, and it WOULD matter. Excited - you bet. Nervous - certainly. Worried - nope.

always

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post

What really worries me is that UNC really needs a signature win to turn things around. What better way to do it than beat Duke? The game is at UNC and Duke has not looked overly impressive in road games this season (even ignoring the debacle in DC). And no matter what the rest of the season is like for either team, they both play this game like it is the championship game (see 1994-5 season). I am really not liking the way things are shaping up for this match-up.
    A few responses:

1. In a word, 'NO.' I am not worried.
    2. Focus more on our next opponent, GaTech. We owe them some payback anyway. (For those who dismiss this line of reasoning, don't forget that the chatter among fans has a way of filtering on down to the team -- so there's a real risk, if all the fans are talking Kerlina, that the team would be distracted too.)
    3. Kerlina really sucks right now - for crying out loud they just lost, badly, AT HOME, to a team that many thought would be at the very bottom of the conference pre-season. And they are NOT among the teams right behind us in the ACC standings (nor will they be probably at any time this season).
    4. There are other opponents who are, realistically, a bigger threat to us and our quest for a regular season championship in the conference. I'm more worried about MD and GaTech.

Looking forward to Ga Tech right now. No doubt that we owe them.

Worried is probably the wrong word, but I'm always wary of UNC. They will step up their game when they play us. We will not see the sad sacks that got run out of their gym by UVa.

I was wary of them even when they were 8-20 and we had one of the top teams in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Worried is probably the wrong word, but I'm always wary of UNC. They will step up their game when they play us. We will not see the sad sacks that got run out of their gym by UVa.

I was wary of them even when they were 8-20 and we had one of the top teams in the nation.
    Exactly. We NEED to sweep them this year when they are down. We were down (relative to them) the last few years and they did what they were supposed to do in our games. The next few years are shaping up to be pretty even between us, so we need to take advantage this year and get the sweep. I'll be just as nervous next Wednesday as I've ever been for a Duke/UNC game.

Talking Try to Enjoy the Game

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

We shot 21% from 3PT range against Georgia Tech and lost. A weak State team (58%) and an erratic Georgetown (71% - holy cow) shot lights out against Duke and won. There are no certainties with the Blue Devils this year.

Whether you "worry" about the game is a matter of personal psyche. I am looking forward to playing UNC next week, and I hope to hell we win. Same with GT and BC this week.

sagegrouse
    'This season may be the most competitive the ACC has ever been. Maybe we need a thread. Without research I can think that years 1984 and 1985 were pretty tough, with really good teams at Tech, UNC, UMd, Duke, State and UVa. I can't remember much about Wake and Clemson then. But in some ways a balanced 12-team league is a bit of a miracle'

Some of the posters need to get over themselves. The players should take it one game at a time, not the fans.

On that note, I am very worried.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Some of the posters need to get over themselves. The players should take it one game at a time, not the fans.

On that note, I am very worried.
    Yep.