Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    My thoughts: we need a real point guard... we need a big man...most of all we need some toughness
    We have one of the top pg in the nation. We just need the post presence.

Maybe . . .

This had the look and feel of our most recent post season exits. I've always wondered what would happen if we had the chance to take the court after a game like that. Now we'll get the chance to see. The biggest potential impact is that this experience frees the team to understand and believe that for the team to win, they cannot defer to the big three and count on success.
    Last edited by Sixthman; 01-30-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
    GTHC

Terrible collapse on defense. 16 TO and god knows how many fast break points for georgetown. I might be inclined to say that GT shot the lights out (72%) but that wouldn't do justice to the number of open looks inside and points off fast breaks.

Seems like we really have trouble when teams are creative in moving the ball and cutting from odd angles. Because we tend to play the passing lanes, that opens up so much to the basket. When the passes aren't getting denied, like today, it makes for a whole lot of easy buckets. Same sort of thing happend against GTech.

Is this a really bad loss? Hard to say. Obviously doesn't help the idea that we can't do anything on the road. Both teams were ranked highly, it sure doesn't seem like we belong with those top 10 teams right now.

Big 3 shot 15/42 (36%) and took 70% of our shots and had 8/16 of our turnovers. No one really seemed to be able to take over and open things up for everyone else. It seems that these guys really only do well collectively when at least one guy is really driving the game. I really wonder how we would have done offensively if we didn't have so many turnovers and fall so behind so early.

Sigh... Bring on Georgia Tech, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
    i don't mind the loss, especially to a quality team like g'town. I mind how horribly the team played today. It is so frustrating to me, that this team has played great defense essentially all year, then they allow g'town to shoot 70% from the field. How does this happen??? I just can't believe the defense never adapted, you can't hedge like duke does on ball screens and overplay passing lanes against a team like g'town who can absolutely kill you back door.
    I still love this team, i think they definitely have final four potential, but i was really disappointed with the effort today.
    Agreed. Losing a tough, hard fought game is one thing. Rolling over and playing dead for the 2nd game in two weeks is disconcerting at best.

I didn't see much indifference or laziness on defense so much as bewilderment. I think Duke was unprepared for Georgetown's offense. You can blame that on having 1.5 days or bad coaching, but this wasn't like NC State.

6. Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    You mean like the 1991 Duke championship team that lost to UNC by 22 in the ACC Tourney final?
    I did say unsubstantiated...

Quote Originally Posted by HDB View Post
    Why is it that Duke seems to regress as the season progresses the last 5 years? That's what really bothers me. I can remember when Duke teams used to improve over the course of the year and hit their stride in March. We started the year with 3 good players and it was clear this team needed more than that. Now we sit at the end of January and I have little hope that we're going to get serious contributions from anyone else on the roster the rest of the way. Depressing.
    Last year Williams wasn't a factor until February. Hopefully Andre Dawkins can get over everything and begin to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by HDB View Post
    Why is it that Duke seems to regress as the season progresses the last 5 years? That's what really bothers me. I can remember when Duke teams used to improve over the course of the year and hit their stride in March. We started the year with 3 good players and it was clear this team needed more than that. Now we sit at the end of January and I have little hope that we're going to get serious contributions from anyone else on the roster the rest of the way. Depressing.

I agree and it is very bothersome and just too consistent of a trend. You look for signs of guys stepping up and improving their games game in and game out and I see none of that with Mason, Miles, Andre, or LT. Very frustrating trend. Coach K has to have a serious man to man talk with a few of these guys and get them going.

Not much positive to say about this one. They kicked our tails pretty badly. Our defense was pretty poor in the first half, and we committed too many turnovers in the second half. They got way too many layups and dunks. For a team that prides itself on great defense, that's a problem.

Georgetown also shot well, but even if you take away a couple of threes (to make them 4-13 from deep), they'd still have won comfortably. Their big three were just much better than our big three today, and their supporting cast did its job. But we just had no answer for Monroe, Freeman, and Wright today.

Tough game for our big three. Scheyer had a bunch of turnovers, Singler had a few really bad second half turnovers, and Smith just didn't get it going until too late. Not one of our big three shot better than 40%, and combined they had

And the freshman and our bigs just didn't have it today to pick up the slack. Thomas wasn't terrible, but he wasn't able to stop Monroe either. And the rest of the bigs just were overwhelmed. 22 fouls between Singler, the Plumlees, Thomas, Zoubek, and Kelly. Ouch.

The turnovers were the biggest reason why Georgetown won the game in my opinion. They were almost all on the perimeter and led to easy hoops.

I am incredibly bummed out. I hate feeling like this at the end of every January.

Few points I have made a few times this (and a few previous) season(s):

1. Get the ball inside, even if we miss a shot or two. Keep the big guys involved.

2. Let the younger guys play more and learn. A loss 2 months ago wouldn't have bothered me as much as this does. There are some games, really important games, where you need to have your best players in all the time, but we have had plenty of games to get guys ready, didn't do it, and now we are stuck with bench players who can't contribute much.

But, today's loss was really more about two (connected) problems. Defense and rebounding. There was no point in this game where Georgetown felt they couldn't score. That's too bad. I know we can play better on D and today was an anomaly for whatever reason, but it still makes me scared for what might happen down the road. Defense should be consistent and our best players were burned on backdoor cuts as much as our inexperienced players today. Singler and Nolan were burned at key times when we had a chance at a come back. Rebounding was terrible. Did we get more than 4 or 5 offensive rebounds? I didn't look it up, but I would be shocked if we did. We had size on them, but we didn't use it at all.

I'm sure we will play better next game, but this was a really poor effort and brings to bear all the concerns so many of us have had as the season has gone on.

Quote Originally Posted by Genedoc View Post
    Why single out the interior play? The perimeter effort was no better.

This is just flatly not a very good team right now. The defense is so bad we're capable of giving up 100 points to anyone we play, and it looks like there are 4-5 different agendas on the floor at any given time on offense.

I think our defense only looks poor when we play teams with quick guards and capable big men that can both execute. A lot of ACC teams don't have that combination. Of course, once we reach March, I'm afraid that's who we'll be playing. A sweet 16 appearance will be a success for this team.

We have four days to rest before Tech comes to town. On our plate we have four tough but winnable games. I would be elated to win all of them, but we need to see some State game to Clemson game-esque improvement for that to happen. This was probably our toughest game of the year. Lose to Tech again and I will really be worried.

On DBR, Bad Loss= No Effort

...never fails

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I agree and it is very bothersome and just too consistent of a trend. You look for signs of guys stepping up and improving their games game in and game out and I see none of that with Mason, Miles, Andre, or LT. Very frustrating trend. Coach K has to have a serious man to man talk with a few of these guys and get them going.
    If you think a talk is all they need...you're mistaken.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    The turnovers were the biggest reason why Georgetown won the game in my opinion. They were almost all on the perimeter and led to easy hoops.
    The turnovers and poor defense against cutters were the biggest problems. They got a lot of easy buckets out of both.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    On DBR, Bad Loss= No Effort

...never fails
    Do you think we matched their intensity from tip to final whistle?

Quote Originally Posted by Genedoc View Post
    I don't think we did, and I don't think we're capable of such intensity...
    1200. DDMF.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Genedoc View Post
    While I don't think Duke was particularly intense, I don't think lack of effort was the problem. Those guys fought today, and you could see it on the offensive side where we played to get contact and drew a lot of fouls.

The problem is defense, and I'm not sure it's lack of effort as much as simply being confounded. We just couldn't do anything about their dribble penetration, cuts and plays.

I'm sounding like a broken record now but we should have played zone. It would've simplified our defense and forced GT into a more plain vanilla offense. This is one of those rare times where I wonder what Coach K was thinking about sticking to man-to-man...perhaps he viewed it as a teaching moment.

The effort was there, but we just didn't play very smart.

This team is what it is. It's essentially no different from the team of the last couple of years, and will probably end the season is very similar manner in March.

This is a very flawed team.