Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Georgetown 89, Duke 77 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

2. Oh well, at least the final margin of 12 was...not horrible. Misleadingly not horrible.

My unsubstantiated theory is that championship teams simply don't lose by more than 20 points...to anyone. This game was close to excluding Duke from that category.

I do think our players played hard and wanted to win; we simply weren't able to adapt on defense and that's what lost us the game. I mean giving up 72%...yikes. Why didn't we try more zone? Sure, it would lengthen possessions and make a comeback more difficult, but it's a heckuva lot better than allowing dribble penetration that lead to open lay-ups and dunks.

It's interesting to note how different our D is at home and on the road. At home, we look fantastic, reading plays, help side defense, generally doing what we want to do. On the road...we keep giving up easy shots. Wisconsin, NC State, and now GT.

I wonder what's up with this. Isn't defense supposed to be a constant?
    Last edited by ice-9; 01-30-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Georgetown shot 72%

And that 72% is what worries me more than anything else

ugly, TOUGH game for the guys...

and the win was "only" 12, but that was a butt-whupping..

i still love this team and i still think obama is a jinx to dark blue in a basketball game somehow..

ugh...

on to the next game...

Our defense was obviously terrible and offensively we missed some shots we simply had to make to keep it close when we were still down single digits. We couldn't defend without fouling and even when fouling, we didn't foul enough to prevent a shot.

I think Clark called it, Georgetown looked fresher. having a game 2.5 days ago and having to travel obviously took a toll. I wouldn't read too much in how we played since the schedule had to play at least a part. Monroe obviously made up for some past performances against us. Now that we have the bad taste of an "L" in our mouths, here's to our taking it out on Tech, BC, and kerlina!

-c

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    Our defense was obviously terrible and offensively we missed some shots we simply had to make to keep it close when we were still down single digits. We couldn't defend without fouling and even when fouling, we didn't foul enough to prevent a shot.

I think Clark called it, Georgetown looked fresher. having a game 2.5 days ago and having to travel obviously took a toll. I wouldn't read too much in how we played since the schedule had to play at least a part. Monroe obviously made up for some past performances against us. Now that we have the bad taste of an "L" in our mouths, here's to our taking it out on Tech, BC, and kerlina!

-c
    I am getting very tired of hearing that we were tired every time we lose this year.

I saw only the last 15 minutes or so (tuned in when we were down 54-46). In that time, we had zero balance in our offense and our defense was so poor that we allowed Gtown to score on 13 straight possessions at one point. That is an eye-popping stat to me. I don't know what to say, really. Other than the fact that we have to get consistent, focused effort on defense or we have no chance.

Sometime

Some days it's harder to be a Duke fan(atic) than others....

But I do remember many great moments over the years.......
    And that keeps me going.........

I was excited when I heard the announcers say Coach K wanted to feed the post and try to get their bigs in foul trouble. There is one key element to that though, YOU HAVE TO FEED THE POST!!!...At least let the big guys get some touches. Miles got a couple early and nothing came of the chances so it was like they figured that was a waste and never went back to it. The only player I ever see who looks first to feed the post is Ryan Kelly. Watch him next time, he catches and looks inside for a post up. The big 3 seem to catch and look for their own or the other 2 that are running around screens. Granted I know these 3 are our best players but they need to throw a bone to the bigs a little more.

Now gotta move on to G.T. and another physical contest. Luckily it is at home and I like our chances!!

For goodness sakes...

Hi,

Please stop! The people who keep writing in that our bigs need to be taught to keep the ball up, well they know. It was on the Mike Kryzyzewski Show this morning where one of the players, think it was Z, talked about how the Coaches (Wojo) are teaching that, but he did not do a good job of following it. In the locker room Lance said that everything that happened today the Coaches had prepared them for. Please, we had a horrible game today. Tip our caps to the Hoyas and then "next play."

GO DUKE!
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 01-30-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

Please stop! The people who keep writing in that our bigs need to be taught to keep the ball up, well they know. It was on the Mike Kryzyzewski Show this morning where one of the players, think it was Z, talked about the Coaches (Wojo) are teaching that, but he did not do a good job of following it. In the locker room Lance said that everything that happened today the Coaches had prepared them for. Please, we had a horrible game today. Tip our caps to the Hoyas and then "next play."

GO DUKE!
    Are you sure the coaches are teaching them to keep the ball high? I am pretty sure K and his guys work on turning the ball over in traffic and missing wide open threes. Clearly that is what Duke did today and it must be what the coaches are teaching them. Can't be any other explanation for what is happening out there. (sarcasm folks)

I continue to be surprised at how seldom we are using Kyle Singler in the post. I wish there were a website that charts individual plays in college basketball (I know that's a monumental task, but maybe the site can start with just the BCS teams). Am I crazy or has Duke been extremely successful this season when Singler gets the ball in the post? I mean, we've probably only posted him up 20 times all season (and none in the Georgetown game that I can recall) but I bet 15 out of those 20 times, he either scored or something good happened. This offense has been poor away from home this season, and I think it needs to focus more on getting the ball into Kyle against shorter, smaller players on the block. Especially early in the game, if he can get a few buckets scoring inside, then he gains confidence and Duke forces the opponent to adjust. If the defense switches a bigger player onto Singler, then all of a sudden he can use his perimeter skills again like he did the past two seasons. Bottom line, Kyle should be a matchup problem but he isn't or hasn't been yet while playing almost exclusively on the perimeter against other wings. We need to punish those wings more on the block.

This Duke team can improve upon where it stands right now, but a lot of its potential improvement or upside is contained in getting Singler to play like a star. I hate to harp so much on it, but in essence, the biggest difference between any high preseason expectations for Duke and the more subdued current expectations for Duke is Singler. Most of us thought he'd play like an All-American, and if you had told me that instead he'd only play like a good player, I would've thought Duke would struggle. I still think there's plenty of season left for him to go from good to great, but the coaches can probably help him out a bit by taking more advantage of his good size and postscoring ability at the 3 position.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    This Duke team can improve upon where it stands right now, but a lot of its potential improvement or upside is contained in getting Singler to play like a star.
    But, he is playing as the heart and engine of this team already. He's doubling on opposing centers and then often covering the shooting guard. He's being asked to do so much, move so widely and then score at will? During today's game I spent lots of time just watching him with binoculars (wasn't much else to distract me) and he's directing traffic at both ends, too. He's clearly our most talented player, as you say, but he's unable to shoulder the dead weight that this team sometime turns into.
    Battier had his Duhon and Williams and Dunleavy and Boozer. Who does Kyle have to rely on?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    But, he is playing as the heart and engine of this team already. He's doubling on opposing centers and then often covering the shooting guard. He's being asked to do so much, move so widely and then score at will? During today's game I spent lots of time just watching him with binoculars (wasn't much else to distract me) and he's directing traffic at both ends, too. He's clearly our most talented player, as you say, but he's unable to shoulder the dead weight that this team sometime turns into.
    Battier had his Duhon and Williams and Dunleavy and Boozer. Who does Kyle have to rely on?
    I would disagree with two of your statements. First, I don't think Kyle is the heart and engine of this team. He had a very long dry spell, and it seems to me that he overplays at times and makes terrible turnovers. He may be directing traffic at both ends, but I would really like him to concentrate on getting back to the place where people were saying he was a pre-season All American and ACC POY.

In every one of our championship games, we have had three absolutely outstanding players. The combo of Laettner, Hurley and Hill gave us our first two banners; the triad of Battier, Williams and...? Well, sometimes Dunleavy; sometimes Boozer; sometimes Nate; sometimes Duhon; sometimes others. But someone always stepped up so there was a third strong player.

You don't think we have three strong players this year? Do the names Singler, Scheyer and Smith ring any bells? In today's game, Kyle scored 18, Nolan scored 19, and Jon scored 17... no real statistical difference. And that's how it has been most of the season. In fact, when one of the "Big Three" (not my term and I'm not sure I like it) hasn't performed, it has more frequently been Kyle.

Now, please don't misunderstand. I think Kyle is a truly stunning player and has the capacity to do more than the vast majority of players. But in some ways, he reminds me of Duhon during his junior slump. Chris took the weight of the world on his shoulders and found it difficult to carry... but his senior season, he did all the things right that he hadn't performed well at the year before.

This whole point of this was that Kyle has some pretty darn good teammates! But nobody showed up to play defense today--nobody!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    I am getting very tired of hearing that we were tired every time we lose this year.
    Me too, especially when the same people who make this excuse are the same people who jump on anyone who dares to suggest that certain players are playing too many minutes. How is it that we can be tired but at the same time minutes played for certain players is not a concern?

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Filter View Post
    Me too, especially when the same people who make this excuse are the same people who jump on anyone who dares to suggest that certain players are playing too many minutes. How is it that we can be tired but at the same time minutes played for certain players is not a concern?
    For what it is worth, I don't think the amount of minutes our top 3 play is an issue for them. I think it is more of an issue for the rest of the team. It is reminiscent of teams including JJ. He was amazing almost all the time, but when he was off, the team was going to lose. We had no back up plan. Its the same principle for these three. Two of the three have to play well for us to win, but we usually need someone else to step up. In the last few games, though, no one else has. Miles, Mason, Dre, and maybe Ryan all have the capability to be offensive threats, and yet we do not make an effort to get them comfortable in game situations. I think if the big 3 played less, it would make more time for other guys. But, I don't think the "tired legs" thing is the main issue. It is more that they look "tired" when the play badly. Those are the days I wish we had a plan B, C, and D.

And the point about our big guys making mistakes is not a good one in my mind. They did drop passes and miss open shots, but guess what, so did Nolan, Jon and Kyle. We have to get these guys confident or they will never be reliable on a game to game basis.
    Last edited by chrisheery; 01-30-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Filter View Post
    Umm...I'm pretty sure that cruxer hasn't made the argument about excessive minutes being okay.

And the thing about the short turn around is less about tired and more about preparation. Coach K actually said in his Thursday "Duke Basketball Report" radio spot that Gtown would have more time to prepare than Duke. I hadn't thought about how much preparation for individual teams matters, but I am getting the impression that it is a big deal to K.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post

I saw only the last 15 minutes or so (tuned in when we were down 54-46). In that time, we had zero balance in our offense and our defense was so poor that we allowed Gtown to score on 13 straight possessions at one point. That is an eye-popping stat to me. I don't know what to say, really. Other than the fact that we have to get consistent, focused effort on defense or we have no chance.
    I was careful not to say that we were tired, but that G'town was fresher. There's a difference. I think that led to inattentiveness, especially on the defensive end. Not only did we fail to cover cutters, leaving the basket area wide open, but we also failed to rotate effectively on screens, leading to big-time guard penetration. The G-men were a step quicker than we were today.

-c

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i still love this team and i still think obama is a jinx to dark blue in a basketball game somehow..
    Has Duke ever won playing with a president in attendance. I remember losing in 1989 in NJ before Nixon, losing in 1994 in Charlotte(?) before Clinton, and now this. Do we have a President jinx?

am a little surprised that we left our starters in (those that had not fouled out) to the end of the game.