Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Georgetown 89, Duke 77 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

2. Oh well, at least the final margin of 12 was...not horrible. Misleadingly not horrible.

My unsubstantiated theory is that championship teams simply don't lose by more than 20 points...to anyone. This game was close to excluding Duke from that category.

I do think our players played hard and wanted to win; we simply weren't able to adapt on defense and that's what lost us the game. I mean giving up 72%...yikes. Why didn't we try more zone? Sure, it would lengthen possessions and make a comeback more difficult, but it's a heckuva lot better than allowing dribble penetration that lead to open lay-ups and dunks.

It's interesting to note how different our D is at home and on the road. At home, we look fantastic, reading plays, help side defense, generally doing what we want to do. On the road...we keep giving up easy shots. Wisconsin, NC State, and now GT.

I wonder what's up with this. Isn't defense supposed to be a constant?
    Last edited by ice-9; 01-30-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Georgetown shot 72%

And that 72% is what worries me more than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Georgetown shot 72%
    I hope you're not trying to use this as an excuse....our defense was terrible...so many open looks for them...backdoor cuts, dunks...everything...they did shoot well, but they had so many open shots and looks you can't possibly pretend like this is an anomaly...especially since this is the second blowout in 2 weeks in the same fashion
    1200. DDMF.

ugly, TOUGH game for the guys...

and the win was "only" 12, but that was a butt-whupping..

i still love this team and i still think obama is a jinx to dark blue in a basketball game somehow..

ugh...

on to the next game...

am a little surprised that we left our starters in (those that had not fouled out) to the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    am a little surprised that we left our starters in (those that had not fouled out) to the end of the game.
    perhaps coach K wasn't too keen on seeing our bench players get posterized
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    perhaps coach K wasn't too keen on seeing our bench players get posterized
    I think it was more about making them fight to the last whistle and feeling the pain.

Serious question

Why is it that Duke seems to regress as the season progresses the last 5 years? That's what really bothers me. I can remember when Duke teams used to improve over the course of the year and hit their stride in March. We started the year with 3 good players and it was clear this team needed more than that. Now we sit at the end of January and I have little hope that we're going to get serious contributions from anyone else on the roster the rest of the way. Depressing.

I am not worrying until we lose a neutral game.
    Like I said, I am fine with winning all home and neutral games, losing all road games this year.

i don't mind the loss, especially to a quality team like g'town. I mind how horribly the team played today. It is so frustrating to me, that this team has played great defense essentially all year, then they allow g'town to shoot 70% from the field. How does this happen??? I just can't believe the defense never adapted, you can't hedge like duke does on ball screens and overplay passing lanes against a team like g'town who can absolutely kill you back door.
    I still love this team, i think they definitely have final four potential, but i was really disappointed with the effort today.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisdukie View Post
    We need some kind of big man coaching. Our interior play was pathetic.
    Why single out the interior play? The perimeter effort was no better.

This is just flatly not a very good team right now. The defense is so bad we're capable of giving up 100 points to anyone we play, and it looks like there are 4-5 different agendas on the floor at any given time on offense.

Ugh aack ugh

But I'm glad we played a tough OOC game on the road. I would have prefered it to be earlier in the schedule, where any possible negative influence might have longer to fix. Hopefully, like he so often does, Coach K can use this to motivate the guys.

Now I think I'll take a break from the various boards so I don't have to read the overreaction from people who overrated the team and now will go ballistic on them because of their own inability to apply any kind of non-emotional assessment. It seems like some people swing from overreaction to overreaction.

Our defense was obviously terrible and offensively we missed some shots we simply had to make to keep it close when we were still down single digits. We couldn't defend without fouling and even when fouling, we didn't foul enough to prevent a shot.

I think Clark called it, Georgetown looked fresher. having a game 2.5 days ago and having to travel obviously took a toll. I wouldn't read too much in how we played since the schedule had to play at least a part. Monroe obviously made up for some past performances against us. Now that we have the bad taste of an "L" in our mouths, here's to our taking it out on Tech, BC, and kerlina!

-c

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think it was more about making them fight to the last whistle and feeling the pain.
    You saw fight? I didn't. I saw a lot of indifference for the whole game.

Yah, quite frankly, anybody who feels the need to single out a particular player or set of players as playing poorly either didn't watch the game or is just repeating a popular refrain after a loss. Pretty much the whole team struggled.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    Oh well, at least the final margin of 12 was...not horrible. Misleadingly not horrible.

My unsubstantiated theory is that championship teams simply don't lose by more than 20 points...to anyone. This game was close to excluding Duke from that category.

You mean like the 1991 Duke championship team that lost to UNC by 22 in the ACC Tourney final?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by Genedoc View Post
    You saw fight? I didn't. I saw a lot of indifference for the whole game.
    hahaha. good for you.

My thoughts: we need a real point guard... we need a big man...most of all we need some toughness