Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I always expect FSU to play fast and to play hard and then have a spell of stupid, undisciplined basketball. They didn't do so much of that tonight on the stupid side of their usual formula, but Scheyer's game, combined with Lance's disruptive flurry carried us.

FSU is an annoying team to play.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what Mason can do against Georgetown. Duke will need his combination of size and mobility against Greg Monroe. Mason needs to learn to stop making silly fouls and just needs to get a bit more used to the speed of the game on offense. I'm not giving up hope that with a few more weeks of experience, he can be a bigger factor by March.
    I'm guessing he isn't getting it done in practice as well as in games, so unless he steps it up before the games, K's not going to let him do much against Georgetown. With our foul troubles last night, I was surprised to see Mason only get 8 minutes (same # he got against state and almost half of what he had been getting). He's still got a lot to learn, my biggest beef with him is his inability to finish. It's disheartening to see the number of layups and dunks he misses, and my guess is that is contributing to his being on the floor less. It's one thing to miss a three pointer, it's another when you repeatedly miss from within 3 feet of the basket.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Zoubek and LT have been so steady on the Defensive end for us.
    Totally agree with that, both were big contributors to the win last night. LT just seemed to be everywhere at once, FSU must have thought there were 2 of him on the court.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Funny, I felt the opposite way -- I was really glad to see Duke shoot a bunch of threes, especially so many open ones. I think one of the problems in the games where the offense has been bogged down lately is that teams have been cutting off Duke at the three-point line. And it's reflected in the stats -- this Duke team is relying on threes significantly less than previous editions. So it was nice to see the team get so many good looks from deep, and it will be even better when Kyle's wrist heals and (hopefully) he knocks down a higher percentage.
    Hm... I guess what made me nervous the way we got the threes... namely, passing it around the perimeter without having the opportunity to pass it in to allow the perimeter defense to collapse a bit. I think what I get nervous about is the idea of playing a team that is good at defending the three and us having to change the game up a little, but then the players who need to be effective for that (namely, our bigs) are so lacking in experience that they are not necessarily able to perform.

A win is a win in my book. Singler started showing signs of coming out of his funk. Scheyer was great, LT and Z did a good job in the paint. I think the size thrown at Nolan really hurt him, but it is a good learning experience for him to go up against bigger guys. We did what we had to do, make them make turnovers. Dawkins hit a shot they may get him going as well. I think there were a couple of occasions where he could have shot some more but looks like he is reluctant to pull the trigger. He needs a confidence boost and maybe that three will do it. Mason needs to get in the lane and elevate and use his size. They need Miles to play above the rim like he was doing a couple of games ago, I think he will get it going Saturday. We really need someone on the inside to start utilizing their size so we can start to get a inside-out game going. I'm pumped about Saturday and add another win in our ACC total. Go Duke.

Like many posters, I'm all over the place with how I feel about this game as here are some of my thoughts:

Positives:

1. Great defense by all involved, individually and team-wise.
    2. Nice to see Jon get his mojo back shooting the ball. Long season as I know some were getting a lil nervous with his recent shooting slump. As primarily a perimeter scorer, up and downs will occur with more ups in his case. As a side not, nice to see Andre get involved again and hit a shot as some type of positive contribution from him on a regular basis will probably be needed as the season goes on.
    3. Kyle looked more comfortable all around as he seems to be settling in more at the 3 spot and the bumps and bruises heal.
    4. Good, solid game from Lance. Played within himself offensively and provided very good defense.

Negatives:

1. FSU handled us on the boards pretty good (FSU was +10 on the boards). Luckily, it did not translate on the offensive end for them as they didn't take advantage of getting the ball in the hoop. Probably not a long term concern but I'm sure Coach K will remind them to be aggressive on the boards.
    2. Mason's lack of production. I'm not sure what is happening here as he looks tentative and somewhat lost the past few games since Wake. Could he be hurting as if we remember he did take a nasty spill that game? Could he not be producing in practice and Coach K is equating quality practice time into game time? I have no clue but it's something worth monitoring as many see Mason as key to this teams run come March as the "X" factor.
    3. Some varying points of view on the amount of 3-pointers shot. I know that FSU's perimeter D is not good and allows, I believe, the most 3-pointers made per game at 7. So it may have been strategy but I do get a bit nervous when the team starts falling in love with the 3. Something to monitor but not yet panic about as we've seen the team be able to win without the 3 being a predominant factor in their games. Decent amount of threes came in the flow but they looked as though that's what they were only looking for. Also, there was a couple of sequences that they did just "launch" them after gathering rebounds and kicking the ball out which made me squirm rather than set it back up. Again, probably nothing major but just worth watching.

Overall, solid game against a very good, underrated FSU team that can defend and rebound. I'd give the team a B/B+ as this was a sandwich game between a Clemson game they needed to make a statement on with national TV, inter-confernce game against at top 10 G'Town in their territory.

re Mason: he's a Freshman. Being lost in space is part of evolution. I think he's trying to think too far ahead instead of letting the game come to him.
    re-Miles: anyone who gets staples in his head and comes back on to play gets my "tough guy" award for the night.
    re-the whole game: we had a lot of "teachable" moments to go over.

I agree. Mason is still a freshman. No matter what all the analyst say and what we expect from him and what he is capable of doing he's a freshman. I do cringe however when I see him take a 3 in a close game. Thats was kind of a bad decision but he's a freshman and at times I think he just tries to do too much. Let him find himself.

Overall, I give us a B. An ACC win is a tough win especially against a team as talented as FSU. We didn't play our best ball but a sign of a good team is being able to win when everything is not going your way. Watch the film, learn from our mistakes and get better. On to GTOWN.

Lastly, Coach K won this game for us late in the 2nd half. He is hands down the best coach in college bball. The move he made to a 3-2 zone late in the game was brilliant because not only did it work but it switched the momentum back to us and we took it on and won. How many teams can switch up D like that and do it correctly let alone be effective. I thought it just was a great coaching move and it makes me soo happy that he is our coach.

I think this game shows the limit of what the Plumlees can do this year. Alabi is probably one of the better defensive centers they'll see, and they basically didn't do anything against him on offense at all. Since the season is already more than halfway over, I'd say it's hard to see them getting all that much better this year. They'll be effective against the smaller teams, but against the bigger ones they can't do that much. Looks like the Triple Ss will be carrying the team in the clutch when NCAA time rolls around.

Fast Break Points

We didnt have too many tonight. FSU's guards were quick enough to get back and Nolan is our only guy who really pushes the tempo when he sees the opportunity.

But a little more fast-breaking might be good for the Plums because they run the floor so well and both are willing to dunk on anyone.

What are 17-3 now? And we are playing well below our combined capabilities (AKA "The Proverbial Ceiling" or "Ceiling). If Mason and Andre get going, we could be peaking at the right time. And by "get going" I mean hitting all their defensive assignments, learning to switch on screens and getting 4-5 scoring looks each per game. That is all!

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    I think this game shows the limit of what the Plumlees can do this year. Alabi is probably one of the better defensive centers they'll see, and they basically didn't do anything against him on offense at all. Since the season is already more than halfway over, I'd say it's hard to see them getting all that much better this year. They'll be effective against the smaller teams, but against the bigger ones they can't do that much. Looks like the Triple Ss will be carrying the team in the clutch when NCAA time rolls around.
    It was not a good game for the Plumlees (though props to Miles for taking a gash to the head and coming back), but I don't see how we can generalize about the rest of their season based on this game. Both can play better, and have played better.

I've observed before that midway through the conference season is often a low point for freshmen in the Duke program. They are taken back by the intensity and physical nature of the conference games, realize how long the season is, and have lost confidence. Quite often, they improve through February and March. There are numerous examples going back to Laettner and as recent as Elliot Williams.

It's way too early to dismiss the possible contributions of the freshmen, and Mason Plumlee in particluar.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    What other 7' centers on other top teams are you worried about? The Plumlees did fine against slower non-NBA lottery pick 7' centers like McFarland.

As I'm reading over these responses, I'm seeing a lot of "good win, but..." and and general idea that this game was serviceable but not satisfying.

Obviously, this being DBR, there's always going to be more worried negativity than appreciation. I feel like DBR message boards are Duke's mother, always worried about what could go wrong and if little bad things will turn into something worse.

Here's what I saw: we beat a solid ACC team by 14 points. We defended the home court. We scored scored very well (comparatively) against some of the best defense in the ACC. We used our height to offset theirs. The big 3 did their thing collectively.

It wasn't perfect, as many people have pointed out. But hey, lets focus on the good here and enjoy this game for what it was. Cherish the time we see Lance and Zou do their thing, because before long we wont get to see it anymore, and its so nice to see seniors really playing senior, smart ball.

Bring on Gtown!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    It's way too early to dismiss the possible contributions of the freshmen, and Mason Plumlee in particluar.
    Coach K is playing people based on matchups. No Andre vs. the Clemson press, more Andre vs. FSU's interior size. Lots of Mason vs. athletic Wake, less vs. physical teams.

We have different looks for different teams. Anyone notice Mason leading the press last night? Think you might see that in the future?

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    What other 7' centers on other top teams are you worried about?
    Monroe this Saturday although he's only listed at 6'11".

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    We won not due to how well we played, but to how well Florida State didn't play at some parts in the game. For a while in the second half I though we might lose the lead altogether with the effort shown by our team. IMO, we lucked out. Hopefully things can tighten up Saturday.
    You must have been watching a different game from the one I watched. Lucked out? Florida State made a run in the second half. They are a good team and any good team will make a run. We responded well to their run by increasing our intensity, running better plays on offense, and changing-up the defense by playing some zone. If that constitutes "lucking out", I hope we luck out for the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post

2. Mason's lack of production. I'm not sure what is happening here as he looks tentative and somewhat lost the past few games since Wake. Could he be hurting as if we remember he did take a nasty spill that game? Could he not be producing in practice and Coach K is equating quality practice time into game time? I have no clue but it's something worth monitoring as many see Mason as key to this teams run come March as the "X" factor.

That is my main concern as well. Again, like last year, we need a consistent scorer inside to make a run the NCAA tournement. Someone has to step up and be that player, likely Mason or Miles. I think that it will be Mason, but he has to show some progression and I haven't really seen it yet.

F$U is the #1 team in the Nation in defensive 2-point FG% at I believe 34%. The fact that our bigs got any points is a positive in my mind. We took our strength to their weakness (perimeter) and won a hard fought, physical game. You saw the staples in Miles' head, not sure if you could see the scratches all over Jon's arms and back or Kyle wincing when he was getting hit on the wrist. I had the pleasure of sitting very close to the floor last night and it was amazing to see how hard our guys made them work on the defensive end. After Kyle and Jon had both hit 3s from the Crazie-Side Corner in the second half, Loucks (who is one of the most annoying defenders I've ever seen) came over to Leonard Hamilton and said they couldn't recover to guard the corner because they were getting screened and chasing guys around so much.

I'd have liked to have seen a few more touches for the bigs but again, that would have been attacking their strength with our weakness doesn't make much sense, does it.

I hope we have enough in the tank to turnaround quickly and face a very tough Georgetown team on their home court.

Good conf. win

Well Ryan Kelly made a brief cameo appearance. I really, really want to see Kelly get in the groove of things. I know you can't / shouldn't judge a player by their highlight video but if Kelly can just give us a glimpse of his overall skill set, that would be very encouraging in his development. Just think how potent Duke's offense would be with a 6-10 3pt shooter with a sweet mid-range pull up jumper (wow). However, he still has the deer in headlights look and every time he steps on the floor it's like Showtime At The Apollo or the Gong Show...you're just waiting for the hook to come out and pull him offstage.

I thought that was a good solid win against a tough ACC opponent. It was also a game that I felt we were in control of the whole game. As soon as FSU got it close, we made a run to keep it at, or close, to a double digit margin.
    I agree that the highlight of the night may have been Andre hitting the corner three shortly after getting blocked on a previous possession.
    I can understand the concern about not going inside, using the post and shooting more threes than we have lately. I think that was because of this particular match-up however. I was thinking coming into the game that we would likely do a lot more damage from the perimeter than we would inside. I do hope to see us passing the ball inside more in the future and not relying on the three, but I have no trouble with the number we shot this game. I also like that Kyle is shooting with confidence, even if he has missed more lately.
    All in all, a good solid win, especially defensively, against a solid ACC team.