Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 70, Florida State 56 Post-Game Thread

Have a lovely discussion!

Eh, a B- overall. FSU is a decent team, but we didn't take advantage as well as we're capable of.

An ACC win is an ACC win, however. Nice to see Jon hit some shots again; Kyle seems to be inching back into form.

It would behoove us, though, to be smoother at both ends on Saturday.

Home wins are must this season in the ACC. We were at home. We won.

Becoming more and more discouraged about Mason. Becoming less and less optimistic about him making a difference this season.

Good Defensive game plus Earth Wind and Scheyer did their thing.

14-point win against a team that is hard to score on. Some clutch shooting by Jon Scheyer, and also Kyle. Good response in the last 5 or 6 minutes. One more in the win column.

We won not due to how well we played, but to how well Florida State didn't play at some parts in the game. For a while in the second half I though we might lose the lead altogether with the effort shown by our team. IMO, we lucked out. Hopefully things can tighten up Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    We won not due to how well we played, but to how well Florida State didn't play at some parts in the game. For a while in the second half I though we might lose the lead altogether with the effort shown by our team. IMO, we lucked out. Hopefully things can tighten up Saturday.

Agree with this post. I think FSU lost this game more than we won it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Becoming more and more discouraged about Mason. Becoming less and less optimistic about him making a difference this season.
    I agree, but if I feel OK about this situation, it's that the odds are against all of our bigs turning in poor showings on the same night. Mason has faded lately, but I think Lance has stepped it up. And Zoubs was solid when he was actually able to be on the floor.

I don't think Mason and/or Miles are done, but I suspect their significant contributions will be unpredictable and infrequent from this point on.

Glad to win it, it could have EASILY been closer if a few of those FSU shots that were halfway down had gone down.

Just still surprised that we continue taking so many threes without attempting a bit more penetration or dumping the ball in, and surprised by how little anyone but Smith, Scheyer, or Singler get their number called... I realize that FSU is big inside, but still, it just does not feel like we are developing a varied attack which can survive going cold in one department. In fact, we feel less capable of that now than we did five or six games ago, when going cold from three didn't mean a loss.

I understand this might sound a touch negative after an ACC win, but honestly a regular season win (of which we have had so many recently) is as much about development and the future as it is about the now to me.

I presume one of those points in the game for you was when they were down by 4 in the 2nd half. I hope you recognize the changes made by K at that point in the game and how they caused Florida State to not play well.

A good win against a good FSU team. Man they can play defense. I haven't seen the boxscore, but I think we were outrebounded badly. Probably the first time this year. Some good things come to mind. Number one is that Jon came out of his shooting slump. Lance had a good all around game as did Zoubs. Nolan and Kyle were good but not great. Miles missed some easy shots at the rim. Jon made a couple of good passes that were wasted. He did get some big rebounds at the end of the game that helped hold off FSU. Is is it me, or is there too much dribbling around the perimeter? I'm not blaming the guards because I'm sure that's the way Coach K has drawn up the offense. I liked the little bit of zone we threw at them. Looked like it threw them off stride for a few possessions. Like I said good win against a good team. Now let's get G-town. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    I agree, but if I feel OK about this situation, it's that the odds are against all of our bigs turning in poor showings on the same night. Mason has faded lately, but I think Lance has stepped it up. And Zoubs was solid when he was actually able to be on the floor.

I don't think Mason and/or Miles are done, but I suspect their significant contributions will be unpredictable and infrequent from this point on.
    It'll be interesting to see what Mason can do against Georgetown. Duke will need his combination of size and mobility against Greg Monroe. Mason needs to learn to stop making silly fouls and just needs to get a bit more used to the speed of the game on offense. I'm not giving up hope that with a few more weeks of experience, he can be a bigger factor by March.

a poster which said 'The 3 S-keteers' won me over
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Glad to win it, it could have EASILY been closer if a few of those FSU shots that were halfway down had gone down.

Just still surprised that we continue taking so many threes without attempting a bit more penetration or dumping the ball in, and surprised by how little anyone but Smith, Scheyer, or Singler get their number called... I realize that FSU is big inside, but still, it just does not feel like we are developing a varied attack which can survive going cold in one department. In fact, we feel less capable of that now than we did five or six games ago, when going cold from three didn't mean a loss.

I understand this might sound a touch negative after an ACC win, but honestly a regular season win (of which we have had so many recently) is as much about development and the future as it is about the now to me.
    Funny, I felt the opposite way -- I was really glad to see Duke shoot a bunch of threes, especially so many open ones. I think one of the problems in the games where the offense has been bogged down lately is that teams have been cutting off Duke at the three-point line. And it's reflected in the stats -- this Duke team is relying on threes significantly less than previous editions. So it was nice to see the team get so many good looks from deep, and it will be even better when Kyle's wrist heals and (hopefully) he knocks down a higher percentage.

Home wins are must this season in the ACC. We were at home. We won.

Freshman are up and down. He also needs to simplify what he is doing out there. I am not discouraged. The light will go off- just need to be patient.

When Mason get's it

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what Mason can do against Georgetown. Duke will need his combination of size and mobility against Greg Monroe. Mason needs to learn to stop making silly fouls and just needs to get a bit more used to the speed of the game on offense. I'm not giving up hope that with a few more weeks of experience, he can be a bigger factor by March.
    Couldn't agree more about Mason. I would like to see him use his left hand on the interior. I know it's a lot for a freshman to take in, especially since missing time with an injury. It would help his case to quit making those silly fouls Jumbo referred to and to not get lost on defense at times. Couple of times in the first half he was getting yelled at by his teammates for being out of position on defense. The great thing is he has the talent to take us to another level. I just hope it's sooner rather than later. Go Duke!

Lucked out is a bit much. Duke did not play with intensity throughout and there were runs- but Duke did what they had to. Every time FSU made a run- Duke responded. Could Duke have played better - sure. But they did not luck out here. They counter-punched and won a game without burning themselves out- like they did against Wake.

I like 14 point conference wins

I'm not as negative about the game as other. My two issue were that period during the 2nd half when FSU was beating us to every loose ball (either rebound or on the floor) and the first half when we were making it too easy for them to get it into Alabi (something we corrected in the 2nd half). Here are some of my takeaways.

1) Our offense wasn't good because FSU's defense was. They made it difficult for us to see open men and they were aggressive at cutting off driving lanes and cutters.

2) I agree with Jumbo - I didn't think we forced threes. I thought they were open, and the right shots. Some didn't go down

3) We were much worse on both ends tonight with Zoubek out of the game. He did the best job containing Alabi, and our offense moved better when he was in.

4) Let's give FSU credit here. Nolan was shredding them in the first half, and they contained him in the 2nd half.

All in all, not the best win ever, but not the worst. I thought we played a tough team, weren't at our best, and never trailed. That's a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    'the 3 s-keteers'

and we have a winner!!!

Glad for the ACC win.

I was going to be seriously down on our offense as we just haven't shown much of a flow on that end of the floor in any consistent manner. Then I went over to check the final scores of FSU's past games and only FOUR teams have managed to score more than 70pts against them (NC State oddly enough topping the 80pt mark). That actually makes me feel much better. FSU as a team, with all of its size, is very quick and poses quite a matchup problem.

Obviously our defense won this one for us... again. Though we gave up a ton of easy buckets, overall we kept them in check as we needed to. The game could have easily slipped away with our horrendous offensive drought at the 11 minute mark of the 2nd half, but the D held to form.

I do like how we got around to forcing turnovers and overall took good care of the ball.

Do you think that Duke had anything to do with FSU not playing well at some parts of the game. FSU is a good team. One with good athletes who never gave up. Their point guard had ten assists. If some of the shots that went down and came out had stayed in, it could have been a nail biter. Coach K made some great decisions in the game. Going to that zone was a great move. It caught FSU completely off guard and they immediately turned it over. I love any game that we come away with the W. Go Duke!