Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

a little troubling

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    Over and over, I saw an inside player post up, call for the ball, and when the ball didn't come, the inside player came out and screened for the big 3. Very rarely did our big, after rolling from the screen, get the ball back for an inside shot attempt.
    I hear you on this. I really don't like when I see a guard not make a focused effort to feed the ball inside when the post has position, choosing instead to wait until he stops posting and gives in to just coming out and setting a ball screen for the guard. That's not great offense, and to me it comes off as a little selfish. I realize the big 3 are "The Big 3", but I really don't like the mindset of playing 3 on 5 with 2 bigs being used solely as obstacles for our guards to dribble around... and I can't imagine it's great for the psyche of our big guys and the overall team dynamic. Look at Zoubek - he has a perfectly good turnaround jump hook, but he doesn't even think about using it anymore... even when he gets the ball in good position.

Miles and Mason have a long way to go, which is the main reason for their lack of production... but by the same token, you could plug Patterson or Monroe into the current "big guy" role in our offense and they wouldn't be doing much either. Every once in a while, I would like our bigs to be allowed to focus on getting themselves open and getting open looks, rather than doing that solely for our guards.

Sorry if that sounded gloomy.

Alternative theory

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Dawkins was back out there, which suggests (as many thought) that his absence against Clemson was probably a matchup thing. I think that as long as the big three aren't in foul trouble his minutes are going to stay in the 8-12 range. But I hope that he can rebound with his shooting touch so that he can provide a spark whenever/if ever he's needed.
    Wasn't Dawkins's reappearance also consistent with the theory that he didn't play against Clemson because of his ankle? Or maybe it was a combination of the matchup and the ankle? Either way, I expect and hope his minutes will continue to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Wasn't Dawkins's reappearance also consistent with the theory that he didn't play against Clemson because of his ankle?
    According to comments made by Vitale during the broadcast, Coach Krzyzewski stated Dawkins wasn't playing well enough in practice to earn playing time. Hopefully, Dawkins has a couple of strong practices this week as I'd love to see him get more court time against the Hoyas.
    Bob Green

Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    According to comments made by Vitale during the broadcast, Coach Krzyzewski stated Dawkins wasn't playing well enough in practice to earn playing time. Hopefully, Dawkins has a couple of strong practices this week as I'd love to see him get more court time against the Hoyas.
    I turned the sound down, so I missed that. Surprised to hear that Vitale actually imparted valuable information.

I really think we would be a much stronger team if Andre and Mason were more effective. I'm sure that many of us are hoping that they show the same improvement EWill showed down the stretch last year.

On feeding the post

I attended my first acc game since graduation last night ('94) and had a blast. Nice to finally attend an actually full game again. . From my vantage point, I kept seeing our bigs post, but not actually seal their man away to allow for a clean entry. Reid, Alibi, and Singleton consistently had an arm wrapped in front to prevent the pass. Our guards could have been more aggressive with the pass, but the bigs HAVE to seal off to allow the pass. We seem a lot more comfy with the pick-n-slip move because the big only has to cut to the hoop, not turn and seal, which seems to be the issue.

And lest we forget, shelden was GREAT at this skill, so our coaches can teach it, but somebody has to learn. Zoubeck has the best version of it, just banging his guy off and spreading that enormous wingspan. Mason is BUILT to do it, but has to learn how to keep his guy behind him. If that light goes off, look out.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jgehtland View Post
    I attended my first acc game since graduation last night ('94) and had a blast. Nice to finally attend an actually full game again. . From my vantage point, I kept seeing our bigs post, but not actually seal their man away to allow for a clean entry. Reid, Alibi, and Singleton consistently had an arm wrapped in front to prevent the pass. Our guards could have been more aggressive with the pass, but the bigs HAVE to seal off to allow the pass. We seem a lot more comfy with the pick-n-slip move because the big only has to cut to the hoop, not turn and seal, which seems to be the issue.

And lest we forget, shelden was GREAT at this skill, so our coaches can teach it, but somebody has to learn. Zoubeck has the best version of it, just banging his guy off and spreading that enormous wingspan. Mason is BUILT to do it, but has to learn how to keep his guy behind him. If that light goes off, look out.
    I would actually feel better if that light "came on" with Mason! Just kidding with you!

I do wish we would enter the ball into the post more and give our bigs, especially Zoubs, Miles and Mason a chance to look to score or draw attention and kick it out to shooters or hit cutters coming through the lane. I was hoping to see us put pressure on FSU's bigs last night by trying to draw a few fouls on them. I think the offense would flow better with that approach added in to what we are already doing. And every guy on the court needs to be a threat to score if left open.

But that said, I was pleased with last nights game because FSU is one of the better defensive teams and it is extremely difficult to score on them especially in the paint. I thought we used the 3 very effectively last night without "falling in love" with it or forcing many. Most all of them were good looks that needed to be taken.

Good news is, not everyone has FSU's frontline or defensive ability. And there are still enough games left for individual players and the team to improve and get better.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

The Plumlee's

Regarding Miles and Mason, I think it is a mistake for folks to keep lumping them together. I see a lot of posts saying "they just are not there yet" or "the Plumlees struggled last night against FSU"

I thought Miles played a solid game last night. He played solid D and fought hard for boards. Had he not gotten the cut he would have played at least 25 to 27 minutes or so. He put up some nice shots last night that just rimmed out. Mason struggled for sure last night for the 3rd game in a row and has taken a step back since his nice 4 game stretch that ended with Wake. I expect him to bounce back though.

But for now, Miles is far better than he was last year and is clearly ahead of baby brother right now. So Miles is miles ahead of Mason at the moment pun intended.

I think it is a bit unfair to Miles to lump them together so often. They are 2 different players with different skillsets and while Mason has the higher ceiling I actually think Miles can turn into a beast down low before his career is over. With those 2 and Kelly, along with Hairston coming in next year, the future is bright in the frontcourt. And like the 4 bigs this year, all 4 of the future bigs have different games/skillsets that will complement each other and their backcourt mates really well.

Just my take..

I am very glad that there is so much time left in this season. Basically, FSU turned us into a jump shooting team - we just made the shots. If our shots weren't falling, either we would have lost, or we would have had to change strategy. Luckily we didn't have to do that.

In the games that are left, it would be great to see Mason, Miles and Andre improve dramatically. I have complete confidence in them to do so, and there is more than a month. I trust the poster above who said that our bigs were doing a bad job sealing off the man behind them. On the other hand, Mason should be able to do more of his driving moves against the opponent's 4, if he works on his decision making. The assist to Zoubek was absolutely brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy-own View Post
    I am very glad that there is so much time left in this season. Basically, FSU turned us into a jump shooting team - we just made the shots. If our shots weren't falling, either we would have lost, or we would have had to change strategy. Luckily we didn't have to do that.
    It's not like we shot lights out or anything. We only shot 43% for the game (36% on threes). Which is fairly mediocre and well below our season averages (47% and 39%), although it is true our 3-point shooting against Florida State was better than we've shot the three in our other league games (27%).

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think we had extraordinarily good shooting or lucky shooting or anything against Florida State. We should shoot this well or better in most of our games.

After our game vs FSU and watching the Wake/GaTech game tonight, I am struck by how many tall athletes there are in the league this year. Alabi and Singleton from FSU; Favors, Lawal, and Peacock from GaTech; Davis, Thompson, Zeller, etc. from UNC; Aminu from Wake, etc. etc. Plenty of shotblockers, rebounders, and players that can score inside.

More quality big guys, and probably fewer all-around type guys in 6'4" to 6'7" range in the conference.

Advantage to Duke on the perimeter against nearly every team in the ACC, and we've got enough depth inside to play against, if not outdo these other teams with quality big guys.

Still like our chances to have the best regular season record.

Miles and Mason have a long way to go, which is the main reason for their lack of production... but by the same token, you could plug Patterson or Monroe into the current "big guy" role in our offense and they wouldn't be doing much either. Every once in a while, I would like our bigs to be allowed to focus on getting themselves open and getting open looks, rather than doing that solely for our guards.
    Umm ,plug Monroe or Patterson in that lineup and they would be getting the ball.Just saying They know how to get the desired position and what to do once they have it.You gotta have confidence in your big's to make the pass.Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Jumbo, did you see my question above re: singler's 3s. Was curious about whether you thought he showed good selection on his 3pointers tonight (he was 3-10, vs 4-5 from 2pt range).

It was an honest question, not a snide remark. I haven't seen the game and was dissecting the box score trying to see what I could glean from it. I'd like your honest opinion on the subject. You just posted on the thread again, so I'm hoping you see this and respond to the question.

I just looking for some input from someone who saw the game and thinks about such things. As I mentioned when I asked the question, I think Singler's scoring has come on quite a bit, I'm happy with his progress. I had hoped that would make it clear I wasn't attempting to be a smart aleck, not that I usually am a smart aleck on this board anyway.

All right, enough.
    Sorry, I don't read every post. Anyway, yes, I thought his threes were open and in rhythm.