Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Apple's New Product: iPad

So Apple just released their new tablet computer...or more like an enlarged iPodTouch/iPhone. I just wanted to see other people's thoughts.

As for me...I am completely unimpressed by this product. While I knew this product was not supposed to be a full computer I was seriously expecting something more than just an iPodTouch with a larger screen and more applications. Sure...the eBook Reader is going to be in color, but i would guess >90% of books are in B&W. Yes you can play games on it...cool. Yes you have email and iWork...but if you have an iphone and a laptop why wouldn't you just use those two instead of the iPad.

Don't get me wrong, this is not meant to be a bash of Apple. I love Apple. I am usually one of their early adaptors of nearly every new technology, but in this case I have some major issues with it. The pricing of this device is high. The name is wholly uncreative. You can't multitask on it, meaning you close an application it has to completely reopen the next time. There is no finger-script-to-text feature. I just think they could have done a lot more with this product and really set it apart from everything else on the market currently.

I was going to save some money to buy this but instead I think I'll just purchase a Kindle and keep using my iPhone and laptop.

That's just my $0.02.

No flash, no multitasking, no camera...

Very weak in my eyes.

I mean if I had the extra money laying around and had nothing else to spend money on, I'd get one...because I love Apple and they can do no wrong in my eyes.

...But I refuse to buy an iPhone.

slashdot has some great posts about this. I don't have the nerve to repeat some of them here, but scroll down to see the joke about working with Sprint's WiMax network.

I was hoping they would announce an iPhone for Verizon today.

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by bigj4194 View Post
    You can't multitask on it, meaning you close an application it has to completely reopen the next time.
    Duh, of course you can multitask. Just buy two.

not impressed...i've got a macbook pro and an iphone...why would i need this?

no camera?

not to mention... twitter users let apple know what they think of the name

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

8 Things that suck about the iPad

I have to agree. No Flash again makes it an incapable netbook replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

8 Things that suck about the iPad

I have to agree. No Flash again makes it an incapable netbook replacement.
    As a webdev, I think not having Flash is a step forward rather than a bad thing... Javascript is the future, really. I think I already expected most of these "things that suck", but I really didn't think they would ship this without some USB/Firewire/HDMI output.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    As a webdev, I think not having Flash is a step forward rather than a bad thing... Javascript is the future, really. I think I already expected most of these "things that suck", but I really didn't think they would ship this without some USB/Firewire/HDMI output.
    I'm certainly no fan of Flash... however Flash video has certainly been a big improvement over the world of competing Java, WMP, Quicktime, Real, etc. players for web video content.

I'm all for abandoning Flash and it's bloat, but trying to do it by brute force by not supporting what is the current de facto web video format is dumb dumb dumb. I wanna watch Hulu and Youtube on my iPad and I can't do it.

iPad

Sounds like a remedy for incontinence.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Oh, but the iPad was dreamed up on Mad TV too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzhXMbOWHE

ipad vs kindle

It does seem like it is missing some obvious functions, but if you would buy a kindle I would think this is a step up even with the limitations. Of course it is $500 vs $260 so it is almost double the price.

Would you need to pay a monthly internet provider fee for the ipad as well as your smart phone?

I don't even have a smart phone yet

Quote Originally Posted by uncwdevil View Post
    I was hoping they would announce an iPhone for Verizon today.

Oh well...
    Usually iPhone announcements come out in June, so I'd sit tight until then. I have a feeling that June will be a good month for iPhone and VZW lovers.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Usually iPhone announcements come out in June, so I'd sit tight until then. I have a feeling that June will be a good month for iPhone and VZW lovers.
    Verizon ticked me off yesterday. With Alltel, I paid $10 to backup my phone numbers and updates were free whenever I wanted them as long as I brought in my media to "prove" I'd done it once. Verizon wants $10 each time, no redo's.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

it doesn't crash.

it gets the cramps.

apple always does this with their releases. they always release something that is cool and get ppl to jump on. then a little down the road, a new version. to get more ppl to jump on and get the buyers of version 1 to upgrade to version 2. they are pros with in this!

I love apple! i have an iphone as well as macbook. and if i come across 500-600 dollars i'll throw it down for ipad (so weird. dont get me started on this name. what happened to just "slice"... sheesh. )

it seems like this one was a bit rushed or something. a little over-hyped. and imo, disappointing, but apple is apple and im pretty sure they know what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Verizon ticked me off yesterday. With Alltel, I paid $10 to backup my phone numbers and updates were free whenever I wanted them as long as I brought in my media to "prove" I'd done it once. Verizon wants $10 each time, no redo's.
    Come to Durham. I've had just the opposite experience. They've comped backups and transfers for me each time. Last week the hinge broke on my son's phone. It was out of warranty (and wasn't a warranty item anyway). The clerk told me we'd have to pay the $50 deductible on the insurance for a new phone. I politely told the store manager I thought it was poor product design for that hinge to break - she agreed and in minutes we had a new phone gratis. During the Duke vs. Maryland football game my phone got soaked (it was in my pocket, but the rain during that game was crazy). Water damage is explicitly not covered - I was given a new phone anyway. I've found their customer service to be exceptional - something I never thought I'd say about a cel phone company.