Thread: Heroes 5/8

Heroes 5/8

How boring was that episode? It was like an episode of Lost broke out. (zing!)

Completely agree, the interaction with Sylar and his mother were so unnecessary and until the very last scene I could have completely done without the entire episode.

3. Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Completely agree, the interaction with Sylar and his mother were so unnecessary and until the very last scene I could have completely done without the entire episode.
    I liked it. I think Heroes could do with a bit more character development now and then. Also, I thought the snow globe scene was very cool, and I liked the idea that Sylar thinks senseless killing of innocent people (as opposed to hunting down people who have something he wants) is wrong. It was a set-up for the finale, and it paled in comparison to last week's amazing episode, but it was still pretty good.

I fell asleep... I am serious, I actually fell asleep around the 30 minute mark and dozed for 15 minutes or so. I was going to ask what I missed but it seems I did not miss much.

At the end, Sylar breaks out of Hiro's time freeze because Hiro does not have the heart to kill Sylar, right? Not because Sylar has some special ability to break Hiro's ability.

I needed to feel why Hiro was unwilling to kill Sylar. I am sorry, but Sylar just did not feel all that sympathetic when you consider that Hiro had just left the loft of a guy whose head had been sawed off and brain eaten by Sylar. I might add that Hiro idolized "Mr. Issac" and knows Sylar killed him. Hiro should have been eager to take Sylar out. But, seeing as the comic did not show it happening this way and seeing as future Hiro did not say it had to happen this way, we knew nothing would happen. Yawn.

The final scene was decent, but, again, we know that the "bomb" goes off the day after the election so Pete is not going to blow up right now. Pete has never been able to manifest a power instantly before (he did not turn invisible right away, he did not start reading minds as soon as he was in Parkman's presence, there are many other examples) but, hey, it makes the story more fun for him to walk past Ted on the street and instantly start to go nuclear. Woo hoo!! Cliffhanger!! How exciting.

Yawn.

Sylar painting a nuclear explosion on the floor in his mother's blood was pretty sick, I'll give them that.

Aside from that, the episode sucked mightily.

-Jason "sigh-- is it Wednesday at 10pm yet?" Evans

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

Lame... but on second thought...

I agree with the complaints above. It felt like stalling. Originally, I felt like this episode was written because they had two episodes worth of story left, but were contractually obligated for three.

While I still feel that way to some extent, I think the lameness of the episode concealed how many critical plot points were made, the payoff for which will probably be in the last two episodes:

(SPOILERS!!)

(SPOILERS!!)

(SPOILERS!!)

- Micah
    --- Nessica and DL are tracking Micah.
    --- Micah has discovered that he is not with his mom, but shape-shifting Candice.

- Walker Tracking Device
    --- The "Walker Tracking Device" is a child hero
    --- This hero has a fatal disease blocking her ability
    --- Mohindar has presumably cured her
    --- Bennett, Parkman, and Fission Ted are going to "take out" the Walker device

- Election
    --- Petrelli's mom is in league with Linderman.
    --- Petrelli's mom is assuredly a hero.
    --- Nathan APPEARS to be going along with The Plan to nuke NY.

- Sylar
    --- Sylar is friggin' nuts.
    --- Sylar embraces destiny to destroy NY (after accidentally killing mom and cutting remaining ties to humanity)

- Peter
    --- Peter has/is absorbing Fission Ted's abilities

- Hiro
    --- Hiro and Ando are tracking Sylar
    --- Hiro believes he's supposed to kill Sylar on nuke day.
    --- Hiro fails to have the wherewithal to kill Sylar at his first opportunity, even when he thinks Ando's life is at stake.
    --- Sylar can and has broken Hiro's sword, perhaps invalidating the vision of Hiro killing Sylar

- Fission Time
    --- NY will blow up the day after the election
    --- Claire, HRG Bennett, Parkman, Fission Ted, Peter, Sylar, Hiro, (and possibly Nessica, DL and Micah) are all in NY: all the elements needed to nuke the Big Apple are present.
    --- it is currently two days before the Yankees are silenced. (Glass half-full).

Of all these things that happened, only the Hiro/Sylar storyline struck me as gratuitous. Unfortunately, that was half the episode. We already knew Sylar was sufficiently nuts to do anything. My guess their time-consuming stories were filler meant to stretch a limited amount of story to run the clock out on this episode.

All the other stuff strikes me as necessary plot setups.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    --- it is currently two days before the Yankees are silenced. (Glass half-full).
    Cute
    I am obligated to lengthen this message by silly software

Didn't Peter become invisible instantly when he saw Claude? After all, he was getting beat up and no one could see him. Also, he manifested Isaac's ability without Isaac showing him. And I don't think Claire showed how she could heal herself to Peter either.
    Last edited by JDSBlueDevl; 05-08-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    Didn't Peter become invisible instantly when he saw Claude? After all, he was getting beat up and no one could see him. Also, he manifested Isaac's ability without Isaac showing him. And I don't think Claire showed how she could heal herself to Peter either.
    I think you're right.

Anyone else find it annoying that Sylar basically has any ability he needs (all in the name of plot development)? Where did his ice ability come from? It as if the writers write up a sticky situation for Sylar and then get lazy and grant him whatever power he needs to escape it.

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    Yikes-- now that I think about it, you may be right.

Here's something I wonder-- how limited is Peter/Claire's healing ability. If she puts a bullet through his brain that goes all the way through, would his brain heal itself and could he come back to life? Is there a limit to the amount of damage that their bodies can heal?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yikes-- now that I think about it, you may be right.

Here's something I wonder-- how limited is Peter/Claire's healing ability. If she puts a bullet through his brain that goes all the way through, would his brain heal itself and could he come back to life? Is there a limit to the amount of damage that their bodies can heal?
    They've made it clear in two cases that anything that blocks the brainstem blocks the healing ability. Peter thinks anything that blows his brainstem out of his body will be more permanent than a shard of glass wedged in there, and that seems reasonable enough to me. I think that's why he asked her to shoot him in that specific spot.

Hole in the brain? Maybe not. Nuclear explosion? Oh, you better believe that's a paddlin.

Sylar's powers and other questions

Sylar has a lot going on, but I think he's had the "freeze" powers for a while - in early episodes, the Walker family was frozen when Matt Parkman found the girl hidding in the stairs (I think the dad was frozen with his head cut open while eating cereal), and the first time Hiro goes to the future I think he found a frozen Isaac. From what I can tell the only continuity error here is that I think early season Sylar seemed to be more powerful and in control than the current version, but I think they must have wanted to dial him back so he would be too powerful. In addition, I think he as other powers that he doesn't use - I'm not sure what killing Charlie did for him, and he hasn't used Zane's random melting ability yet either to be best of my knowledge. (As an aside, Ando should have told Hiro that Sylar killed Charlie, then maybe he would have been able to kill him).

Questions for the rest of the board:
    - What happens if Peter runs into the Haitian? Will Peter absorb his ability (making Peter completely dominant), or will the Haitian block Peter's absorbtion ability?

- Since 2 Hiro's can appear in the same timeline, what happens if he teleports himself 1 second into the future? Would there not be 2 Hiro's running around? What if they both kept doing this - in a few minutes couldn't they have an army of Hiro's?

I think the only way for Peter to absorb the Haitian's ability is to knock him out first which brings up another point. I think Jason alluded to this in an earlier post, but both Sylar and Peter are entirely too powerful. Right now, they are counterbalancing one another but if one of them dies/loses their power, the other is sure to fall as well. As Peter is a good guy and the central character of Heroes, I envision a scenario where Sylar "dies" (with a teaser hinting that he didn't really die) and Peter loses his powers.

Good point about Hiro. The way the writers have framed the show, your theory is entirely possible. However, I don't believe that they'll let that happen and will profer some off-the-wall explanation like "short time jumps irreparably harm the space-time continuum" or "too many of the same entity at the same time will result in death" or some junk like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    - Since 2 Hiro's can appear in the same timeline, what happens if he teleports himself 1 second into the future? Would there not be 2 Hiro's running around? What if they both kept doing this - in a few minutes couldn't they have an army of Hiro's?
    I've said in the past that time travel is just too powerful an ability. If Ando dies, why doesn't Hiro just g back a few minutes and grab a still-living Ando and bring him somewhere so that he is not in danger anymore. Someone who really thinks about time travel should be able to do anything they want.

It is sorta like the end of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey where they just keep on coming up with new ways that they have won the time travel battle with Themopolous. It was funny then, it makes a TV show lame.

You must, must, must limit Hiro's power or he can do whatever he wants. I doubt the show will bother to think about this though.

And, I agree that Peter is waaay too powerful also. Has he been around Hiro yet? As soon as that happens, he is God-like as far as I am concerned.

-Jason "I really feel like this show is making stuff up as it goes along and not thinking about the ramifications" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    How boring was that episode? It was like an episode of Lost broke out. (zing!)
    Maybe not the most exciting Heroes we've seen. But knowing how much Sylar's mother* loved snow globes, Sylar turning the room into a living snow globe in a plea for her acceptance was one of the coolest moments seen on tv this season.

Pete has never been able to manifest a power instantly before (he did not turn invisible right away, he did not start reading minds as soon as he was in Parkman's presence, there are many other examples) but, hey, it makes the story more fun for him to walk past Ted on the street and instantly start to go nuclear. Woo hoo!! Cliffhanger!! How exciting.
    It has already been mentioned that Peter did turn invisible, I'll add that Peter could immediately see the invisible man when no one else in his presence could. Peter was also able to read the mind of the FBI agent interrogating him when in Parkman's presence.

I needed to feel why Hiro was unwilling to kill Sylar. I am sorry, but Sylar just did not feel all that sympathetic when you consider that Hiro had just left the loft of a guy whose head had been sawed off and brain eaten by Sylar. I might add that Hiro idolized "Mr. Issac" and knows Sylar killed him. Hiro should have been eager to take Sylar out. But, seeing as the comic did not show it happening this way and seeing as future Hiro did not say it had to happen this way, we knew nothing would happen. Yawn.
    Actually killing someone is not something many people can do. Killing a man asking to be saved in front of his mother would change Hiro forever. Future Hiro is a much darker individual. Even though Hiro does have it in him to kill, not struggling with the moral dilemma presented would not be the Hiro we love. The elite superheroes (Superman, Spiderman, Captain America) don't kill even if deep inside they know it means the villain will only return. Hiro has always followed the traditional superheroes code.

And, I agree that Peter is waaay too powerful also. Has he been around Hiro yet? As soon as that happens, he is God-like as far as I am concerned.
    More resembling something "God-like" is exactly what the show is about. The show begins with Genesis. From the opening scenes Mohinder is explaining why he believes http://www.dukebasketballreport.comh...ort.comroaches to be more God-like than humans.

*Sylar's mother was Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors. Had to love it when she said "I hear it's beautiful there, green everywhere"

Um, "Save the cheerleader, Save the world"

Quote Originally Posted by xenic View Post
    Um, "Save the cheerleader, Save the world"
    Hmmm, I wonder when wee will see Peter freeze time?

Hmmm, I wonder when wee will see Peter freeze time?
    Well, in the same scene mentioned above, he is moving around while time is frozen for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by xenic View Post
    Well, in the same scene mentioned above, he is moving around while time is frozen for everyone else.
    We've seen Ando kicking it while everyone else is frozen, so I don't think that says too much. Hiro can definitely bring people into his timeline. He's much like Evie from Out of This World.

Raise a hand if you remember that awesome show.