Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason "woofing"

Mason "woofing"

This has been driving me a bit crazy recently... after Mason Plumlee threw down that reverse dunk, he was seen backpeddling back up court, smiling and nodding and clearly saying something.

It seemed, to me, that he was communicating with Kyle Singler judging by where Kyle is and how they seem to make and maintain eye contact and that it was Kyle's miss that Mason put back, and some others who were at the game saw it the same way.

However, it seems that many people are saying that Mason was woofing at the Wake players (the ref clearly thought so) and now this idea is being spread.

This bothers me a bit... I don't mind chippy, but I would rather a freshman not be branded as a trash talker when he wasn't talking.

Am I the only one who saw it this way on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    This has been driving me a bit crazy recently... after Mason Plumlee threw down that reverse dunk, he was seen backpeddling back up court, smiling and nodding and clearly saying something.

It seemed, to me, that he was communicating with Kyle Singler judging by where Kyle is and how they seem to make and maintain eye contact and that it was Kyle's miss that Mason put back, and some others who were at the game saw it the same way.

However, it seems that many people are saying that Mason was woofing at the Wake players (the ref clearly thought so) and now this idea is being spread.

This bothers me a bit... I don't mind chippy, but I would rather a freshman not be branded as a trash talker when he wasn't talking.

I'd have to see a replay, but I definitely saw it as Mason jawing with some Wake players. However, I didn't think it was necessarily a one-sided situation.

I saw it that way, also.

I looked at the replay and it seemed to me that he was talking to Kyle. Now I did not see what happened just after the slam. So he could have said something then. Go Duke!

Are there any links to articles/blogs that brand Mason as a trash talker?

I haven't heard anything.

My take on it was that Mason was smack talking, to KYLE. It appeared to me that he was joking with him about putting his "trash" away or something like that.

If he were talking to a WF player, then I don't know how I would feel about that at this point. I would like that he had the edge, like JJ did, but I would prefer that he not make to big of a show of it. Like I have said before, I think Kyle is the perfect role model for MP2 to emulate.

All I can say is that I am crazy happy about the play of both Mason and Miles at this point, with great anticipation that it is going to get even better.

I loved the confidence, whoever he was talking to. As long as it doesn't draw a whistle, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I loved the confidence, whoever he was talking to. As long as it doesn't draw a whistle, I'm all for it.
    Agreed

He was saying "Yeah Baby" in that particular sequence. I don't think that would be classified as trash talking. I know Smith said something to him about slapping the backboard and Mason just started smiling/laughing until the ref said something. Then Mason quieted down.

Mason definitely comes across as one of the more emotional players on the floor - whether its emotional immaturity or just high-spiritedness is up for interpretation.

I'll preface this with saying I am really enjoying watching Mason progress, and feel we are incredibly fortunate to have him (and his brother, of course) at Duke.

Two things stood out to me on the reverse jam. First of all, he definitely slapped (or tried to slap) the backboard after the jam and probably should've been T'ed up for it. I personally don't have a problem with it - and actually think it's pretty amazing and awesome - but that's how they usually call a backboard slap after a dunk.

The second thing was Mason's jawing while backpedaling. I watched the dunk several times (due to its awesomeness), and I recall being unsure if he was talking trash to a Wake player or talking to Kyle, but he definitely went from head nod and smug smile to an "I didn't do anything!" look when he realized he was at risk of being T'ed up for taunting. Unfortunately, the ESPN highlight reel shown across the country on Sportscenter included the whole sequence of Mason's looks after the dunk, with little context as to whether he was looking at Kyle or not. I can definitely see how those less inclined to give Duke the benefit of the doubt might interpret this as "gee, there's a cocky Duke freshman with an attitude problem".

I also seem to recall a moment in one of the last couple games (was it BC?) when Mason was slapping at the ball held by an opponent after the whistle. It was brief and didn't amount to anything, but it had been a while since I'd seen a Duke player kind of lose their composure like that. Someone with a better memory than me might recall the specifics.

On balance, I love Mason's emotion on the court, I just hope he can learn to channel it into giving his teammates a boost instead of using it to show up opponents. As he progresses, and given a little seasoning, I can see him being the emotional spark of the team - he definitely has the passion for it!
    “Turning down the Lakers was tough, but it is always good to renew your vows to the loves of your life.”
    -Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    He was saying "Yeah Baby" in that particular sequence. I don't think that would be classified as trash talking. I know Smith said something to him about slapping the backboard and Mason just started smiling/laughing until the ref said something. Then Mason quieted down.
    Not a big point, but I think that he slapped at the back board and missed it. I only point this nuance out because I believe had he actually hit the backboard, he probably would have been assessed a technical foul. I honestly thought that he was smiling and yaking at Kyle, but he may have been responding to something Smith said...

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post
    Mason definitely comes across as one of the more emotional players on the floor - whether its emotional immaturity or just high-spiritedness is up for interpretation.

I'll preface this with saying I am really enjoying watching Mason progress, and feel we are incredibly fortunate to have him (and his brother, of course) at Duke.

Two things stood out to me on the reverse jam. First of all, he definitely slapped (or tried to slap) the backboard after the jam and probably should've been T'ed up for it. I personally don't have a problem with it - and actually think it's pretty amazing and awesome - but that's how they usually call a backboard slap after a dunk.

The second thing was Mason's jawing while backpedaling. I watched the dunk several times (due to its awesomeness), and I recall being unsure if he was talking trash to a Wake player or talking to Kyle, but he definitely went from head nod and smug smile to an "I didn't do anything!" look when he realized he was at risk of being T'ed up for taunting. Unfortunately, the ESPN highlight reel shown across the country on Sportscenter included the whole sequence of Mason's looks after the dunk, with little context as to whether he was looking at Kyle or not. I can definitely see how those less inclined to give Duke the benefit of the doubt might interpret this as "gee, there's a cocky Duke freshman with an attitude problem".

I also seem to recall a moment in one of the last couple games (was it BC?) when Mason was slapping at the ball held by an opponent after the whistle. It was brief and didn't amount to anything, but it had been a while since I'd seen a Duke player kind of lose their composure like that. Someone with a better memory than me might recall the specifics.

On balance, I love Mason's emotion on the court, I just hope he can learn to channel it into giving his teammates a boost instead of using it to show up opponents. As he progresses, and given a little seasoning, I can see him being the emotional spark of the team - he definitely has the passion for it!
    If you will look more closely to his hand contact with the backboard, and look at him on the rim, you will see that there is at least a reasonable likelihood that he is using the backboard to ensure that he is straight when he releases, so he doesn't land awkwardly. The whole thing was a flash. This doesn't come close to Maggette's exuberant slap of the backboard. Mason, OTOH, doesn't show exuberance until he's backpedaling with Kyle. Mason is most likely being utilitarian here.

I loved Mason's show of emotion after that play. If he was jawing with Kyle, I'm good with that. If he was jawing with Ish, I'm good with that too. We need a little more of that. Note I said a little. I don't want our guys to lower themselves to the level that we see from other teams (constant woofing, show boating, etc.) but an occasional well earned woof...have at it!

Wake Involved

It has been a couple of days, but to me it looked like Mason was celebrating with Kyle when a Wake player came by and said something to him (and possibly brushed aside him). It looked like Mason's eyes shifted his focus and gave the smug look to the Wake player (perhaps Smith), who was off-screen. He certainly looked provoked and he did nothing to warrant a T. The involvement of a Wake player explains why he so quickly toned down and lifted his arms in that "nothing to see here" gesture.

Did anyone there see more of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    If you will look more closely to his hand contact with the backboard, and look at him on the rim, you will see that there is at least a reasonable likelihood that he is using the backboard to ensure that he is straight when he releases, so he doesn't land awkwardly. The whole thing was a flash. This doesn't come close to Maggette's exuberant slap of the backboard. Mason, OTOH, doesn't show exuberance until he's backpedaling with Kyle. Mason is most likely being utilitarian here.
    Just watched in on Youtube. My blood's as Duke blue as the next guy, but I find it really hard to believe that the slapping motion with his right hand after the dunk is meant to ensure he's straight when he releases. My eyes see him flicking his hand out really quickly, like he's trying to touch the backboard before he lands - nothing indicates he's off-balance or that the motion would do anything to help him land straight.

Still, I really don't have a problem with it either way, and I've never done a reverse dunk so what do I know. It just seems like a lot to buy...
    “Turning down the Lakers was tough, but it is always good to renew your vows to the loves of your life.”
    -Coach K

While I love Miles' and Mason's alarmingly athletic confidence and success, I'm pretty sure that the coaches (and senior players) will talk with both of them to get them to channel their enthusiasm into activities that will not get them T'd up in coming games. At least I hope they do

And yeah, they have both slapped (at) the backboard more than once, not always after a successful slam dunk. Sometimes it was to maintain balance - heck, how many players can get as high off the ground as they do? Better they do that than take a hard fall, like Mason did on Sunday night.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Doesn't bother me in the least considering all the trash talking and gestures the team gets from opponents and their fans. I'm not big on excessive trash talking but a lil chip on the shoulder, I'm better than you or you can't deal with my $%$ here and there is actually not a bad thing. As long as it doesn't go overboard and cross the line. This team needs an edge to go with its ability and talent and I can see it coming in Mason, Miles and Kyle. When the past teams were at their best there was always one lightning rod on the team who had no problem chirping a bit (see Laettner, JWill (I tend to remember him not backing down and saying some things or using the body language) and JJ.

Looked to me like 1) he clearly tried (and maybe succeeded) at slapping the backboard 2) both he AND Singler were jawing at Ish Smith. It's hard to tell with the cuts and camera angles we were shown, but it seems to me what probably happened is Smith said something first, and then Singler turned around to say something back and then Mason started laughing/nodding.

Personally I don't have a problem with any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    Doesn't bother me in the least considering all the trash talking and gestures the team gets from opponents and their fans. I'm not big on excessive trash talking but a lil chip on the shoulder, I'm better than you or you can't deal with my $%$ here and there is actually not a bad thing. As long as it doesn't go overboard and cross the line.
    I'd agree with this for sure. Seems to be the direction the game is going, and there's something a bit more intimidating about a team that will beat you by 20 AND twist the knife just slightly. I think our teams are amazingly classy in the aspects that matter (academics, fundamentals, clean recruiting, showing respect when called for and losing with as much grace as winning), so a little chip on the shoulder is totally fine.

I just can't stand it when some 5ppg guard who can't play D and shoots FTs at a 45% clip gets a dunk and starts pounding his chest or getting in someone's face.
    -Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post
    I'd agree with this for sure. Seems to be the direction the game is going, and there's something a bit more intimidating about a team that will beat you by 20 AND twist the knife just slightly. I think our teams are amazingly classy in the aspects that matter (academics, fundamentals, clean recruiting, showing respect when called for and losing with as much grace as winning), so a little chip on the shoulder is totally fine.

I just can't stand it when some 5ppg guard who can't play D and shoots FTs at a 45% clip gets a dunk and starts pounding his chest or getting in someone's face.
    I definitely am not saying I want them to be like the old UNLV and Michigan teams of past of some of the Cincy teams of recent years but some swagger and the "I'm not taking #$% attitude, play and talk" can help them take the next step. I think they will always be classy whether winning or losing but I think that lil "edge" is needed.