Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My bad Bluebear, you did in fact clarify the Matsusaka signing in your earlier sentence. As for the spending discrepancy, Brian Cashman (if he is still the GM for a few years) has publicly stated his desire to cut the payroll and I believe he will genuinely attempt to do so. I expect that the Yankees will still have higher payrolls than the Red Sox, but the difference will be much less significant. Does anyone know what the difference in revenue is between the Red Sox and the Yankees?

I think with the addition of Clemens it'll be ~ 208M for the Yankees vs. 143M for the Sox...

By difference in revenue, I meant difference in how much money each team generates through merchandise, tickets, etc... I'd be curious to know if the Yankees make more or less profit than the Red Sox do with all of their spending...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    By difference in revenue, I meant difference in how much money each team generates through merchandise, tickets, etc... I'd be curious to know if the Yankees make more or less profit than the Red Sox do with all of their spending...
    My bad..misread your question..

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Here's how Duke is like the Red Sox.

I truly love both teams and I can't understand why everyone else doesn't love them too! I'm like the Beach Boys, I wish they all could be Sox and Devil fans. (I put the Sox first only for the rhythm, Devil and Sox fans is harder to say. Sing?)

Thanks for the link BlueBear! The Yankees make a TON of money.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    YES is a ridiculous source of income for the Yankees. As long as they are located in NYC, they will always have the most money to spend (unless LA explodes in the next few decades, and then decides to care about baseball).

This link is a great example of teams (Marlins, KC) that actually make money -- money they don't put back into the team (like the Yanks and Sox), but money the owners keep. Of course, this is their choice -- but it certainly doesn't endear them to the fans. As you can see, Jason, teams certainly have money to spend. Its more equal than you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Whoa, Tom Brady ... sorry to be such a burr under your saddle. Then again, I can understand how sensitive you'd be when your namesake turns out to be a closet Yankee fan:

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/mor...ticleid=198248

Points out how phony the spin control story was (that he was wearing the Yankee hat to disguise himself because a Yankee hit would be less conspicuous in New York). It turns out he was spotting outside a Boston donut shot two years ago wearing a Yankee hat.

I can imagine that would tick me off too!

I never realized I was such a master of invective ... imagine, coming up with such a vicious insult as "that Japanese guy" ... If I was really trying, I might have called him "That $52 million bust" But if it makes you feel any better, you can call Chein-Ming Wang, "that Taiwanese guy"

BTW, when you were comparing the salary structures of the Yankees and Red Sox, you kind of left out the $51.1 million the Red Sox paid for the privilege of wasting $52 million on "that stinking load of day-old sushi" (is that less insulting than "that Japanese guy")

So, instead of the current $195 million to $143 million payroll, the real figure is $195 million for the Yankees to $194 million for the Red Sox. Before you get all huffy ... I know that's not really comparing payroll because the acquistion cost of signing Dice-BB is not salary. I just pointed it out to explain why the free-spending Red Sox have little right to criticize the free-spending Yankees ... there's little difference between the two. Now if the A's or the Royals want to take a shot, fire away.

As for the lengths you go "disprove" every point I made ... thanks for the laugh. I mean, just take the Wang reference ... I suggest Wang is back from injury and pitching like he did last year ... and your response is:

Last year: 19-6, 3.63 ERA
    This year: 1-2, 3.98 ERA

Well, as I said, Ming was returning from an injury that forced him to miss the first three weeks of the season ... In his first two starts, he gave up four earned runs in approximately six innings of work each time out ... in his last start, he gave up one run (and one hit) in eight innings of work. Now, I know that's one great start, but at least he seems to be heading in the right direction, as opposed to the guy who the Red Sox pissed that $103 million away on, who seems to be getting worse (let's see in consecutive starts he gave up 1-3-2-6-4-7 runs ... without going past seven innings in any start).

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the season. Maybe the Red Sox can finish with a better record than the Yankees for the first time since 1995. Or maybe not.

D Matsuzaka (W, 4-2) 7.0 5 1 1 3 8 1 108-70

lick it.

As for the lengths you go "disprove" every point I made ... thanks for the laugh. I mean, just take the Wang reference ... I suggest Wang is back from injury and pitching like he did last year ... and your response is:

Last year: 19-6, 3.63 ERA
    This year: 1-2, 3.98 ERA

Well, as I said, Ming was returning from an injury that forced him to miss the first three weeks of the season ... In his first two starts, he gave up four earned runs in approximately six innings of work each time out ... in his last start, he gave up one run (and one hit) in eight innings of work.
    C Wang (L, 1-3) 6.1 11 7 7 1 2 0

1-3, 5.40 ERA

rounding into form, eh?

after last night's matsuzaka performance, looks like i'm kicking your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. all over the playground.

i win.

By then, the Yankee rotation ought to match up very well with the Red Sox -- Beckett is pitching out his mind and Schilling is excellent, but Wakefield is just a solid middle-of-the-rotation pitcher and Dice-K is a major disappointment.
    Just because I love proving Yankees "fans" wrong, I'll throw up Wake's line from tonight -

7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1.79 ERA on the season

That's our #4 starter right there by the way.

If I was really trying, I might have called him "That $52 million bust"
    Daisuke Matsuzaka: W, (5-2) 9 IP 6 H 1 R 1 ER 0 BB 5 K 4.17 ERA

Dice-K

OlympicFan has been pretty quiet lately.

I wonder how many other teams would love to have the Red Sox's so-called "bust" right now? I bet the answer to that question is a number VERY near 29

This thread originally was talking about the Rocket being back in NY and how he would turn things around......now it is just an update everyday about how the Red Sox are still winning and the Yanks don't seem to be gaining considerable ground. (although I know the Rocket hasn't returned yet) But hey I hate the Yankees so, CARRY ON!!!