Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duke's Next Head Football Coach

(sigh)... well, we might as well have a speculation thread about this. Since sources close to Cut are claiming he is out, who will Duke look at if/ when Cut leaves?

Here are a few names off the top of my head:

Sumlin- HC at UofH
    Dooley- HC at La Tech

Have at it.

I thought we weren't supposed to speculate too much on here?

Go Duke!

There is speculation that Cut might not be able to bring his entire staff with him. If he takes the UT job, but can't take all of his assistants, are there any of them that might be candidates?

Hiring somebody off of the current staff might be a way to mitigate some of the damage to recruiting, assuming they are otherwise fit to be a head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    (sigh)... well, we might as well have a speculation thread about this. Since sources close to Cut are claiming he is out, who will Duke look at if/ when Cut leaves?

Here are a few names off the top of my head:

Sumlin- HC at UofH
    Dooley- HC at La Tech

Have at it.
    Cut might be gone, but that story also says he is staying, does it not?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uncwdevil View Post
    There is speculation that Cut might not be able to bring his entire staff with him. If he takes the UT job, but can't take all of his assistants, are there any of them that might be candidates?

Hiring somebody off of the current staff might be a way to mitigate some of the damage to recruiting, assuming they are otherwise fit to be a head coach.
    I agree with that. They have to be at least worth looking at. The only problem is that the guy I would have most liked to have is the OC, and he left, so the current one, Kurt Roper, has no Duke history to bring. Ron Middleton would be my favorite from the current staff.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Cut might be gone, but that story also says he is staying, does it not?
    It seems to say that Cutcliffe will be going to Tenn, but he has not accepted yet.

Another man for consideration- the OC at Stanford, David Shaw

If we've got to hire another coach, I like Associate Head Coach Ron Middleton.

Al Golden at Temple would be a good guy to consider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gold...rican_football)

Here's his wiki bio for those that may not know much about him. Has done a really good job at Temple.

Next guy better not come in saying he wants to build a program, see it through, yada, yada, yada...'cause this Duke fan ain't believing a word of it.

How do you guys feel about Leech or Jagodinski?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSince'77 View Post
    Next guy better not come in saying he wants to build a program, see it through, yada, yada, yada...'cause this Duke fan ain't believing a word of it.
    call me jaded as well. I'll support whoever is here, but I don't want to hear those words.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

What about bringing Rod Broadway back to Durham?

What about Ty Willingham? I believe Mr. White knows him.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post

Broadway was looked at when Cut got the job..I liked him then...but now he has bigger shoes to fill.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm curious as to everyone thoughts on what level of coach we could get based on where the program is now. Cut made some great strides here in a short time, but the "Duke job" is still not a great football job. Would a young up-and-comer see Duke as a step up from a 1-A non-BCS job. Even with some success, Duke has still failed to fill Wally Wade with Duke fans consistently, though it has been much better. There are academic restrictions to consider and it would be harder to win in the ACC than C-USA or the MAC for example.

The optimist in me would like to say that a coach has seen the progress and would look to continue it, but I have a suspicion that we might be relegated to mid-level program coordinators and damaged goods coaches.

The Reality

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSince'77 View Post
    is that if the Duke football coach does well he leaves for a bigger job and if doesn't then we have to pay him off. I too am not going to believe a word of it.

To be fair to Cutcliffe it is reported that he had a clause in his contract that let him go to UTenn. He is not leaving for a bigger job he is leaving for a specific job that is his dream job.

I like Jim Mora Jr. When he got fired from the Seahawks it started this daisy chain.

I also think Cutcliffe was a great hire, even with him leaving. My understanding was that it was more the search committee than Joe Alleva that was responsible. Rumor is that Karl Dorrell of all people was Alleva's first choice.

I am also pretty sure that Kevin White is not going to hire Charlie Weis again.

SoCal

Ty did so badly at Washington he might be hungry to do well again?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post

Hi,

I had Stanford season tickets for many years. I liked Coach Willingham a lot. I also like that he would be the first African-American Coach at any sport at Duke (think that is correct).

I wouldn't mind Jim Mora Jr. since he started this mess. (SoCal: Jinx, I was writing this as I guess you were thinking of Jim too.)

I like the OC from Boise State.

I would rather have someone who kids think will put them in contact with people in the NFL than someone who has no NFL ties. I like the idea of a pro-style offense too. I like Coach Spurrier if he was willing to come back.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I am also pretty sure that Kevin White is not going to hire Charlie Weis again.

SoCal
    Likely not since Weis is working for the Chiefs now...

Please assure me that K White is on the phone right now lining up 3-5 interviews with some top notch head coaches, OC's and/or DC's to see this rebuilding effort through...

Mike Leach - I hope not. The James kid might have been a prima donna, but there are ways of handling that. Anyway, moving right along...

I'd like to see Duke reach out to a good, or top, Div 1 FCS coach. The Montana guy (Bobby Hauck) just left for UNLV - else he could have been a good hire - young, energetic, offensive minded.

The Villanova (this year's champs) coach doesn't appear to be going anywhere, nor is the App State guy. I think Wm & Mary was in the "final four" this year, too, and there are many others who seem to keep their teams strong year in and year out (James Madison, Richmond, Eastern IL, UNH, ...)

Jim Tressell came from Div I -AA after winning championships at Youngstown State, won one for Ohio State with John Cooper's recruits, and has at least kept OSU a top 10 school since.

My gut tells me that bringing up a talented guy from a "lower level" or lower profile school tends to work out better (Exhibit B: Paul Johnson at GT) than re-treads and problem coaches from same-level schools.

Recruiting is the name of the game, and I think success on the field tends to breed success in recruiting. That's why I'd rather have a lower profile, successful head coach, than a re-tread or coordinator. Just my opinion.

Willingham

rightly or wrongly had the reputation at Notre Dame of being lazy. He also failed at Washington. I do think he did well at Stanford.

I would hope that Kevin White has a list of 4 or 5 names and has already made the calls.

SoCal